NS and HL1 based games=screwed :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS and HL1 based games=screwed :(

Recently I have been getting abysmal performance in NS, and other HL1 mods. If I turn on an fps counter, my fps is fine just looking at the map, but as soon as any player models appear on the screen, my fps is suddenly crap, often down to the 20s. I have an x800pro graphics card, and use vsync, full AA, AF, and my fps would NEVER drop below my refresh rate of 70Hz/fps. Now I can turn off all of those options and my fps is still abysmal.

My other games are fine. It's somewhat sad that I get much better performance in Doom3 and source-based games than I do in HL1 games. I've tried deleting my steam game files, reinstalling steam etc, but with no luck. What's going on? Was there some valve update that screwed over HL1 performance? Thanks!
    LLJK-Domino in game

Re: NS and HL1 based games=screwed :(

Defrag, reinstall steam and mods, reformat. Try it in that order. One at a time.
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Check your rates. Is it true that FPS can drop when the client isn't getting data fast enough or is choking (honestly don't know the answer).

If you're on broadband and get 100 FPS (or should), I recommend the following:

rate 20000
      cl_updaterate 50
      cl_cmdrate 100
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Also remember HL doesn't support AA or AF so that might be causing your fps to drop. You can prob turn them off for the game in your drivers. I don't know if this will work I'm just throwing out ideas.

Comment

If you are using the Omega drivers, jettison them in to space. They have serious problems with HL1.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyEye
            Also remember HL doesn't support AA or AF so that might be causing your fps to drop. You can prob turn them off for the game in your drivers. I don't know if this will work I'm just throwing out ideas.
            I think HL does Support AF.
            I have AF forced to 4x all the time( 4x gives me a good mix of results and keeps my fps at 100, 8x make it drop to much). And it is very notceable in NS. A lot.
            With it off i get a line about 6 or so feet in front of my view, which after is very fussy. Aliens with cloaking will hide there just fine if it is off, but with it on I can see cloaker on the other side of the room (sometimes still need to work on the pickup signs).
            ( I do not see why we have AA is as it never helps anything for me)

"vsync"
            This syncs the fps to your monter setting on ratios if i recall right. so if you have your monter set to 70hz the Vsyn will have fps set to 70, 35, ~18 , ~9 ~5 and so on.
            If your card can not handle the 70 fps it will drop to 35. If it can't handle that it will drop to 35 then 18 untill it hit a value it can work with.

Have you updated your Video Drivers, Windows (or what else), BIOS, Other Hardware Drivers, ect?

Have you run a virus or spyware scan?

I would reconment trying to update all your drivers and OS. Then see what happens.
            Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I just reformatted, and the game is still messed up. (AA/AF/Vsync don't have anything to do with it as even before with them all on/maxed my fps wouldn't drop below my refresh rate at all, but now even with them off my performance sucks.) Anyhow... I guess I'm going to take a hiatus on NS I guess. :(
              LLJK-Domino in game

Comment

Originally posted by LazyEye
                While the game itself does not support this setting, AA and AF function properly in HL. I play with a 9800pro at 1600x1200, 4xAA/16xAF. The AA makes those models look ever-so-blocky (instead of blocky block blocky), and the AF helps me not to get headaches when looking at the floor.

In all, it works, and works wonders.

Just wanted to do some fact checking...

Comment

Yeah thats what I ment, the game itselft doesn't support them but they can be turned on by your vid drivers. When they are on they may or may not reduce your fps based on how good your vidcard is.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X