NS:S' future unsure...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS:S' future unsure...

From naturalselection.com this weekend...
    Today is the day we start testing the new web site! We're going to send out e-mail to our playtesters and have them kick the tires. Once we think it's solid, we'll release it to the community publicly. It's our hope and belief that this will be the last time the site goes down for any length of time (though of course we'll have to perform maintenance on it from time to time, that's on the matter of hours). In other site outage news, we're not sure what happened to Readyroom.org, but they've missed their annual hosting fees in the past and I suspect it's something like that but will let you know when we know.

Things are otherwise proceeding along, although life as a startup is always difficult. We recently attended another investor conference, where we did a small pitch and showed our trailers, artwork, etc. to as many people with money as we could. There seemed to be a lot more entrepreneurs there than investors, but we got a couple leads that we will follow up on.

In the meantime, big changes are afoot with NS:Source. It looks like a whole lot more work than even we anticipated and so we're rethinking things. With our two big "competitors" (Counter-strike and Day of Defeat) both having a full-time professional team making them, we have a lot we're up against. Of course, those two projects also got access to Half-life II before it was released. When it comes down to it, "porting" NS to Half-life II is really more of a rewrite, with all the art and levels being redone. We expect a lot of the code and game design to remain intact, but there are even chunks there that will need to be recreated. We're currently trying to figure out a way we can get a top-quality NS:Source done in a reasonable amount of time with no funding. We're talking to publishers and investors without a lot of luck yet. Anyone have any other ideas?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: NS:S' future unsure...

I've been thinking about that since I read it. NS has a unusually dedicated and skilled community, and there has to be a way to use that to help NS:S get off the ground. If nothing else, I've been thinking of whether they could let the community to the texture upgrades. Anyone else thinking on this?
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

There must be talented scripters/modellers/mappers ready to lend a hand to the mod. I think that they have the resources, they just haven't looked out past their walls to really find it.

Plan of Attack, for example, is coming along nicely despite not having early access to the game, and having no funding.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
        There must be talented scripters/modellers/mappers ready to lend a hand to the mod. I think that they have the resources, they just haven't looked out past their walls to really find it.

Plan of Attack, for example, is coming along nicely despite not having early access to the game, and having no funding.
        "Lend a hand" perhaps, but NS has been pretty tight with their code in the past, and I doubt they're wanting to start now. Something that everyone already has their hands on like the textures (as Karrd mentioned) is probably as far as a community outreach program will go.

There have only been a couple dozen people who have seen the NS code. I expect UW would scrap NS:S before making it open source (or even "significantly larger closed-source").
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
          There have only been a couple dozen people who have seen the NS code. I expect UW would scrap NS:S before making it open source (or even "significantly larger closed-source").

http://www.unknownworlds.com/portfol...%20-%20C++.zip

Have a look see at some of the source (nothing noteworthy) of NS.

As for Source: Dont assume to much, the feeling Ive gotten from the Dev team throughout 3.0 and 3.1 development is that they've lost a great deal of "awe and passion" for NS (and are to stuburn/reluctant to hand it over to more interested people). I dont understand it myself, but it doesnt feel like a happy home.
          USAR

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
            "Lend a hand" perhaps, but NS has been pretty tight with their code in the past, and I doubt they're wanting to start now. Something that everyone already has their hands on like the textures (as Karrd mentioned) is probably as far as a community outreach program will go.

My understanding of their plans is that NS:S was to be the last free version of the game. NS2 was going to be an actual game, not a mod right?

Comment

^^^^Correct. Granted god knows when we will actaully see NS2.
              RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
              TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
              "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
              "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo

I think the reason why they are hesitant to let the modders/scripters join in, is that the vast majority have thier own view of what they want from NS (just look at the mods out there). And if they let all those people in as staff, many of them will want a voice in design.

The reason I've been thinking just letting the graphical upgrade be worked on by the community is that it wouldn't require them to let more people join the team. All they'd have to do is create a few examples (old and new comparisons) then set the community loose on creating like graphics. (I know there would be more to it than that, particularly with consistancy control, but that is the heart of the idea)

That said, I think they'll need to reorganize for NS:S. It seems to me that they are too interdependant on each other to work on such a large project quickly. Even just a little bit more modular organization would probably help.

Comment

Hmm... probably a bad idea, but how much, if any, excess money does TG have? Or how much could TG get? Like, I'm thinking a large donation, or maybe we shave off a little extra every month, or something. I dunno. Then again, that may be kinda creepy or something. T'would be a tricky mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
                    Hmm... probably a bad idea, but how much, if any, excess money does TG have? Or how much could TG get? Like, I'm thinking a large donation, or maybe we shave off a little extra every month, or something. I dunno. Then again, that may be kinda creepy or something. T'would be a tricky mess.

Huh???? What are you replying to?

Comment

I think he wants TG to fund NS:S.

Comment

I sort of got that part, but it sounds like he's replying to someone elses post, but there's nothing there.

Comment

He probably started the post mid train-of-thought.

Anyways, NS has enought of a playerbase and financial support (the most of all non-Valve mods?) to turn to source if any will. No, I think there's a underlying reason for not going to source that we aren't getting. Just my opinion.

Comment

Yeah. That was mid thought posting. I mean, if financial reasons might possibly kill a free NS:S, and we have like hundreds or thousands of SM's, and we aren't rapidly expanding our servers or the games we encompass, theres a chance we might have enough leftover to skim off the top and donate to independant free game developers, such as Unknown Worlds, or if it becomes a habit maybe Black Cat Games, or other teams.

Just a thought though. I don't really know any details about TG's finances, or any legal/social implications that would be involved in such a thing.

Comment

I already Know of several groups that have been created to help Flayra port NS to NS:S.
                              One of the first was for the textures. There was at least 20 people updating our NS textures to the ones we would use for NS:S. And there was a group trying to start makeing or porting maps. I think that ns_bast was ported in full. So the major thing that UWE need to do is to port the code over, and that might be harder then they thought.
                              Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X