Game Variants. Fun night.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Variants. Fun night.

Alright, I want to play one or two rounds of a "specialty" match. You know how some times on, for example, CS servers you play games with SMG only? Or someone calls out knives? I want to do something similar with NS.

I have a few ideas which Ill post below, but what you would like to see (even the most random idea to something you've seen before). The more we brainstorm, the more likely this could happen.

Lets see:
    Marines aren't allowed heavy weapons/HA/JP vs a kharaa that cant evolve past gorge.

Marines aren't allowed to directly hit the hive (no weapons fire) vs three hive aliens that cant use their [number] ability or cant do [something].

Marines can NEVER shoot any aliens and only buildings, thus relying strictly on turret farm and electrify management. Aliens CANNOT gestate past gorge, and cant get more then two hives.

Now just throw anything out there, even if its stupid. Then we will corner Wyz and poke him with sticks until he gives in and gives a variant a try.
    USAR

Re: Game Variants. Fun night.

One that I've played on other servers before and I find fun is Hide and Seek.

Sensory is illegal.

At start of the game, aliens call out their hive so marines won't stray into it at the start.

For 4 minutes, aliens don't leave hive and marines go hide anywhere non-bugged on the map. During this time, aliens may not build anything. Marines are allowed to do anything except build ips. Motion tracking is allowed, but if you do it make sure you hide the obs well. If you wanted to rush hmgs you can, but keep in mind it'd leave you around 20 seconds to go hide. After the 4 minutes are up, aliens have 6 minutes to find all the marines and kill them. Life forms are restricted relative to number of players in game. (I.e. 1 lerk in a 10 man game, 2 in a 16). Fades are legal to everyone, but remember you'll only have em for about the last minute of the game with that res flow.

Comment

How about if no one on the alien team caps any res and they all save for fade or drop offense chambers; the marines can't use handgrenades or catpacks.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyEye
        How about if no one on the alien team caps any res and they all save for fade or drop offense chambers; the marines can't use handgrenades or catpacks.
        That is your standard Pub game, if you add save for onos.
        Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Originally posted by Eternaly_Lost
          That is your standard Pub game, if you add save for onos.
          LOL!

I like this idea. I will say that the "plan" will be ironed out on the server BEFORE we take it to the server. We're not going to sit there with 16 people in the readyroom debating design.

I'm not saying everyone on the server will have had to read the forums to participate, but those in the readyroom will be asked if they want to play a "variant" game and then TOLD how it will be played, per what has been agreed upon by those of us who have designed it (for that night; each night... hell ... each game.. can be different) in the forums beforehand.

Silently READING this thread over the next few days in the forums does not mean you can pipe up in the readyroom at the last minute and say "hey, let's change this before we start... I was in the forums."

Design here. Play there.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
            Design here. Play there.
            Agreed. Great suggestions thus far, keep em coming!
            USAR

Comment

Here's an idea- Containment
              Time limit: 15 minutes

Marine Victory objective: Prevent 3 hives from going up.

Kharaa Victory objective: Capture and build all 3 hives, or eliminate the marine team.

Marine Restrictions: Marines (and thier structures) cannot destroy Kharaa Structures. They cannot get jetpacks or GLs. They may only capture the 4 nodes nearest marine start (not including the starting node). Once a hive is placed, no marines are allowed in that location, and all structures build must be recycled (from that hive location).

Kharaa Restrictions: Kharaa are not allowed to use thier first attacks (bite, spit, swipe or gore). Kharaa cannot capture (but they may destroy) the 4 nodes nearest marine start, or the starting marine node. Only 10 OCs may be built. No structures may be built in marine start.

I think this would be a very interesting mode, and a MOD to support it shouldn't be that hard to make (set time to 15:00, make kharaa structures 100% damage resistant, set OC limit to 10, disable JPs and GLs, disable all first attacks). It would be perfect for captains games. So what does everyone think?
              "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

I love the idea of variants, just a question of which ones and how. Personally I think Containment and Hide & Seek are the most promising. I just think the 4 minutes start time for the 'rines might be a bit long--not for balance reasons, but just because its going to be really boring for the aliens to sit in base for 4 minutes not moving.

Comment

Good God man... I've sat at red lights longer than 4 minutes. 4 minutes is nothing. Meet the folks on your team. Relax. Kick back.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I can be quite entertaining for four minutes... after that, I'm just a bore
                    --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Originally posted by Keres
                      I can attest to that.

Comment

Originally posted by rs_j
                        I can attest to that.
                        I second that.
                        -Zephyr
                        You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                        We are not a single game.
                        We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                        We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

More like four seconds.

Comment

Only 4? Either you've got some skillz or someone needs to work on his stamina.
                            Steam Community: | |

Comment

I'm really liking squeaks idea he suggested in the first post. However, if aliens are only allowed skulk/gorge shotguns should be disallowed (or a 3rd hive allowed [but no xeno, just for web]). xD

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X