X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the 'gb' command, among others

Originally posted by ----paranoid----
    Welcome to the forums and TGNS. The best pub NS there is :icon_smil
    It is. But for it to STAY that way, we need more than a small handful of people WORKING to keep it that way.

Guys, I don't know why, but we're having a crazy amount of traffic on the server lately. That's great and all, but it seems like every single time I sign on the server, I have to remove at least one person who simply does not communicate. That's fine. That's my job.

But there's one situation that annoys the CRAP out of me, and I want some help. It involves question mark players.

When I come into a team, and one or more players has been ON THE TEAM for SEVERAL MINUTES before I joined the server, *I* should NOT be the person who DISCOVERS that this person needs to be REMOVED. That person should be GONE before I *arrive*.

Learn about the 'gb' console command. Most of you reading this can USE IT, as all it requires is a forum-registered SteamID and 10000 points (got points to SPARE? SHARE them. 'gb' costs no points to use; you simply must have 10000 points.). It lets you remove any non-registered SteamID when you cite a server rule (he's breaking) when you use the command.

No, you guys aren't admins. No, it's not your job to keep the server "the best pub NS there is." It's not even REQUIRED for temp admins to act. But you GET from this server what you put IN, and I want people RESPONSIBLY using this command as their comfort allows and necessity dictates.

Screen question mark players. Ask them if they're on board, with mic or keyboard (theirs). Give them a chance or two respond. If they don't, remove them. It's not like you're banning them. They might never come back, or they might come back and start communicating. Treat them with respect, but REMOVE THEM if they can't make the cut.

Anyway, I'm convinced that the server will be a better place if our regulars aren't afraid to RESPONSIBLY use this command when it's appropriate. There are other commands to help keep the server in good shape, too. Type amx_help in your console, especially if you're a temp admin. You might find something useful.

Many thanks.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: the 'gb' command, among others

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
    Screen question mark players. Ask them if they're on board, with mic or keyboard (theirs). Give them a chance or two respond. If they don't, remove them. It's not like you're banning them. They might never come back, or they might come back and start communicating. Treat them with respect, but REMOVE THEM if they can't make the cut.
    Seems like yesterday that I created 'gb', and here this thread is just a few months shy of a year old.

Continue to use 'gb'. Always specify a reason in quotes. Use it responsibly, but USE IT.

Just a bump. Keep up the good work.

On a related note: remember that temp admins are never required to act. They act when they choose to. The same goes for anyone using 'gb', too.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

gb is fun.

I try not to abuse it, but I do feel like I use it more than anyone else I see. Maybe that's just cause almost no one uses it. Maybe that's cause I use it too much, who knows?!
      remi.D

Comment

blu, i'd love to see a count, cuz I'm sure I'm ahead of you...

My only problem with GB, is when the server (earlier in the afternoon) is FULL of ?'s, and I join. Do i start GBing half the team due to non-response? or do i leave it for a little bit until I can afford to start dropping the non-responsis like moths to a flame?
        Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

I'm not sure what you're saying, but you may or may not use gb when you like. If that means you just asked dude twice, with text and voice, if he's alive, and you get nothing, and you drop him immediately.... fine. If that means you leave him be until the server is more full, at which point you keep only those who are responding, fine. Your call.

Just remember that, if and when you do use it, you must cite a server rule.

I don't want the above to make 'gb' sound like some novelty item. Use it responsibly, but craft under it whatever design you wish.

Comment

Actually, I'm torn by my last post. Ideally, you drop dude immediately. We just don't want people on the server who don't belong on the server.

I just know (oh man do I know....) how tiresome it can get removing non-responding player after non-responding player after non-responding player. So, again.. you're never required to use it, but please be cautious with any choice you make NOT to use it, for any reason, once you're comfortable with it.

Comment

What rule would you cite for like.. general not TG-oriented person?

Like someone that just doesn't fit in... I've cited teamwork before, but it's not always just teamwork. I think one time I just made the reason "stupidity" because the guy wasn't new, but he just wasn't playing with the team or anything.

Also, when I use the gb command, do I need to put the reason in quotes if it has spaces in it? I have been doing one word reasons for a long time because I don't think more than one word works.
              remi.D

Comment

The general rule of thumb is if a console command parameter is more than one word use quotes.

Should work like so
                gb korm "more than one word"
                Steam Community: | |

Comment

gb irishpirate "res whored for onos in a 5 person game when we needed a hive, and I mean really needed it. can you believe the nerve of this guy? utter newbness thats what he is. I'd tell him to go read the rules but it won't help him suck less"

Comment

"Failed to refrain from not communicating with the team."

:D

Comment

Yah, I have lisened to those little pop-ups (or pop-downs?) telling me all about the gb command, or at least using it respectfully. I've always felt sorta intimidated by using it however, feeling as I haven't been apart of TG long enough to command that responsibility... but this line makes me wanna change that:
                      Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                      It's not even REQUIRED for temp admins to act. But you GET from this server what you put IN, and I want people RESPONSIBLY using this command as their comfort allows and necessity dictates.
                      I guess I should use it, and I'll try to use it as closely as possible to what you have so graciously dictated...

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                        Yah, I have lisened to those little pop-ups (or pop-downs?) telling me all about the gb command, or at least using it respectfully. I've always felt sorta intimidated by using it however, feeling as I haven't been apart of TG long enough to command that responsibility... but this line makes me wanna change that:

I guess I should use it, and I'll try to use it as closely as possible to what you have so graciously dictated...
                        Are you a Supporting Member? If not, how many points have you accrued?
                        [volun2]
                        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
                          Are you a Supporting Member? If not, how many points have you accrued?
                          I'm not a supporting member yet, but I plan on it as soon as I have a steady income. I have however aqquired many points. Ever since I've joined Tactical Gamer, I haven't played on another server. And I think since I played for quite a while before becoming a member that the points carried over, not tottally sure about this. As for an exact number, I can't tell you it although I know I have over 7500.

-Sirusblk

Comment

I saw this thread at the top of the list and it made me reflect back a bit on today (picked up NS for the first time since returning to the campus?).

I know I wasn't paying as much attention as I could to everything that was going on, especially text based. Part of it might be from taking a break for so long but I feel bad that I probably spent some time on the server as the temp admin but failed to even recognize that or really assume any admin-like role (or even pass it to someone else who would).

This alone I would not bring up, it's another thought that occured that I think may be more important. I think on a more crowded server it's easy to feel like if there is a problem someone else will take care of it or at least call it to your attention. If you see someone on the server who appears more qualified than you to make some admin decision it may feel more like it should be thier responsibility to take care of it.

If you spot a problem you should follow your best judgement and take action yourself instead of counting on someone else to notice and take care of it for you.

If you are a supporting member or have more than 10000 points you should have read the rules and know by now what is adequate reason to kick someone.

Another thing I would like to note is I noticed the use of admin chat today more than I ever have before and I think it's great that admins/sms are taking the time to communicate when something arrises. If you are uncertain for some reason about a situation speaking with other admins about it might help you reach a decision. I think we have a command for regestered members to send messages to the admins. I want to say put an @ at the start of the text line. If I have the time to look it up before someone else puts it up I will edit it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                              I'm not a supporting member yet, but I plan on it as soon as I have a steady income. I have however aqquired many points. Ever since I've joined Tactical Gamer, I haven't played on another server. And I think since I played for quite a while before becoming a member that the points carried over, not tottally sure about this. As for an exact number, I can't tell you it although I know I have over 7500.

-Sirusblk
                              Then you don't need to sweat anything, as you're unable to gb even if you wanted to.
                              [volun2]
                              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X