X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS to BF2 comparison

Hi fellas,

Have question.

How does NS(minus the gfx) compare to BF2? What I am looking for in bf2 i guess is similar team play that you simply must have in NS to succeed.

Also commander mode in BF2 how important is it to the team, as much as commander in NS?

in lots of NS games from my experience, the leadership skills of a commander mean winning or losing.

Im thinking of getting BF2, not sure though.

Re: NS to BF2 comparison

On Commanders:
    In BF2, the commander isn't as vital. Not to say that a good one isn't the difference between winning and losing, merely to say that a team can be totally without one and theoretically win in BF2, whereas that's a completely impossible task in NS.

On Teamplay:
    BF2 has it and in spades due to its inherent (and at TG, programatically enforced) squad structure. A tight squad with the right mix of classes can do just about anything. Couple that with the fact that there are likely to be 6-9 squads out on the field, and you have a pretty rich teamplay experience.

On My Reaction:
    Now, all that said, I think BF2 is a fine, fine game, but I've found that in general, my perception is that I'm an ittybitty cog in a big ol' map. The scope of the game gives it a great deal of grandeur, but I usually end up longing for some really tight firefights. My favorite thing to do in BF2 is defend a flag; otherwise, I usually feel like I'm just taking a really long walk to go die somewhere far away.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Your best best is just to download the Battlefield 2 demo. It plays just like the real game only with less maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
        On Commanders:
        In BF2, the commander isn't as vital. Not to say that a good one isn't the difference between winning and losing, merely to say that a team can be totally without one and theoretically win in BF2, whereas that's a completely impossible task in NS.
        Untrue, completely. Never done a spawn camp rush before? Slot2 actually pulled one off on LoC once...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Comment

Originally posted by ReK_
          Untrue, completely. Never done a spawn camp rush before? Slot2 actually pulled one off on LoC once...
          Man, do you know how much has to come together for that to happen? The least of which is a hive that you can knife?
          [volun2]
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

Yeah, no kidding.

Saying "it's possible" to win in NS without a comm is like saying "it's possible" to swim from Pebble Beach to Dover alone.

Sure. It's possible. But it's so unlikely/rare that it's not relevant to a point which relies on it not being a possibility.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

More importantly... Rek was in slot2?
              USAR

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
                More importantly... Rek was in slot2?
                His 100 scripts helped him get in :O

Comment

Actually, I would be interested in hearing a more in-depth description of the differences between NS and BF2 as far as teamplay is concerned. I've played BF2 only once and briefly but aside from fancy graphics and vehicles, I didn't really get the teamplay aspects at all. On the other hand, it was on a pub and I do recall the first few games of NS I played on pubs similarly gave me no clue as to the teamplay potential of the game.

From what little I know of BF2, I am curious about how "squads" fit into things and what role the commander plays.
                  Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

I would like to hear more about what NS is like. :)

How many people play at once? How long are the games?

Maybe I should just be reading a faq somewhere...
                    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

To sum it up: teamwork is optional in BF2 and required in NS. I really don't think it's an abuse to say that. It certainly holds true for all of the BF2 and NS I've played.

NS games take anywhere from 15 minutes to 50 minutes, typically, and it sometimes happens that people leave after a 50 minute game, as NS will absolutely kick your ass if you give it your all. The game moves faster than any game hosted at TG (ever), and it sure as hell moves much faster than BF2. The average game, then, is around 30 minutes (they used to be longer, but the playerbase bitched about games being "too long" :/).

NS is a much smaller game. The maps are a much smaller fraction of the size of BF2 maps than is the maxplayer count compared to that of BF2. The result? You have a greater space-to-action ratio, which means you're less able to find time in NS when you're allowed to pause, for even a moment.

Can't pause? WTF, you say. NS demands teamwork, communication, intel sharing, objectives focus, and cooperation with greater frequency than any other 15 minutes you'll find at Tactical Gamer, and, if you neglect its demands, it will take more from your ability to win than any other title this community hosts. Your team's leadership often has to make split-second decisions. There's more twitching in NS than in BF2, but it's not like CS, where twitching determines who wins. In NS, unless the "twitch factor" is WAY unbalanced between the two teams (a la competitive players VS public players), teamwork (communication, coordinated attacks, intel, etc) determines who wins.

BF2 is such a bad ass game. And it fits this community like a glove. But if I thought it were the most challenging and rewarding implementation of teamwork this place has to offer, NS wouldn't be the game I play most (GO or not).

NS is small, and it's old. The maps are all indoors. The maps are smaller than BF2 or JO. But it... somehow.... does more for me than any other title I've played yet.

I don't know how else to describe it. And what I say really doesn't matter, as you really just have to try it. If you like it, you'll like it. If you don't (like it), you won't know until you try it and leave it.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by zibalatz
                        From what little I know of BF2, I am curious about how "squads" fit into things and what role the commander plays.
                        Squads are to BF2 what individuals are to NS. It's merely an expansion of scope, really.

A squad is a unit that performs the actions of the game: shooting, defending, attacking. For the commander, it's best to think of a squad as one unit.

Within the squad though, you have 1-6 people working together for that one common tactical goal, some covering, some healing, some resupplying, whatever, but all accomplishing task X.

To draw the parallel, imagine if I sent two people to cap nodes and three to pressure the other team. Now, instead of two and three, make those five people squad leaders, and give them three people under each of them. The goals don't change, but the dynamics of how stuff gets done do.

Originally posted by icky
                        I would like to hear more about what NS is like.

How many people play at once? How long are the games?

Maybe I should just be reading a faq somewhere...
                        http://www.tacticalwiki.com/index.php/Natural_Selection

At TG, max playercount is 16 (the seventeeth slot is for HLTV... which is akin to the BattleRecorder for BF2), 8 to a side.
                        [volun2]

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                          At TG, max playercount is 16 (the seventeeth slot is for HLTV... which is akin to the BattleRecorder for BF2), 8 to a side.
                          Poker's right. To avoid confusion, in case you see the *18* slot server, I'll point out that, just this weekend, I've added a SECOND HLTV proxy, raising the slot count to 18. The second proxy is just to make more robust the HLTV offering. I won't bore this thread with the details.

But yes.. 16 players. Just happens to be 18 slots now instead of 17.

Comment

I wouldn't call them squads but I would consider them fireteams. (A squad is about 12 people.) But anyway the way BF2 works or atleast is supposed to is one person is the CO (Commanding Officer) and everyone else is broken down into squads. (cough fireteams cough)

The CO has the abilities to give out orders and waypoints for those orders. They also have satalite scan, UAV scan (unmanned aerial vehicle), a supply drop, and arty support. All of those abilities can be knocked out by the enemy team except for Sat scan and giving orders. Unlike in NS the CO can only speak with the SLs (Squad Leader)

The squads can contain up to six players of various classes. I beleive the most common assortment is 1 support, 2 medics, and 3 assualts. This is the basic squads some may have one medic some may have an engneer or a spec ops or if they are running into armor AT soldiers. (Anti-Tank) They are responsible for holding ground and taking ground. The SL can speak to both the CO and his squad. Also the most important twist on the SL job is that they serve as a mobile spawn point. Squad members can spawn on their SL as long as the SL lives. On the TG server we also tend to have speciality squads. A sniper squad at times but usually an air squad and a copter squad also in some scrims we have experimented with an armored squad respossible for any armor on the map.
                            RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                            TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                            "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                            "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                              Your best best is just to download the Battlefield 2 demo. It plays just like the real game only with less maps.

got a link? for the demo?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X