Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

query-friendly CVAR when ? players are playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• query-friendly CVAR when ? players are playing?

http://www.tacticalwiki.com/index.ph..._Having_Points

So, if you (the forum-registered, non-SM regular) have 5000 points, you can bump a unregistered player to join the full server.

My question: is there a need to know, remotely (that is, you're not on the server), when there IS and IS NOT an unregistered ("?") player on the server? If so, do you have a server browser that will let you filter by CVARs I set accordingly and in realtime? Or perhaps I should note availability in the hostname?

Brainstorm if there's improvement to be made here.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: query-friendly CVAR when ? players are playing?

Personally, I tend to tell Halflife to join TGNS even when its full, and just see what happens. If I get bumped off to HLTV, then I'll go look for another server. So I can live without said CVAR. Not to say it wouldn't be convenient, but my browser probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.

Comment

Yeah, I tend to just fire up NS, hit fav's and double click the only entry in the list. If it loads, I play,... if it doesnt, I hit auto retry and connect and listen to music till I hear that the game connected. sometimes if I feel impatient, I read through and see what players are on and who's kicking azz, or how far into a game it is, but as a rule, I play on TG or don't play NS. Soooo, I just wait till someone leaves.
      What would be interesting though, is if it were somehow possible to have a player name like the "don't forget to register your steam ID!" or just a facade player slot that's name changes to indicate player makeup.
      example: Player name "10-SM__3-NSMREG__2-UNREG"
      eplaining that there are 10 supporting mambers, 3 nonsupporting but registered, and 2 unregistered players on the server at that time.
      Then no matter what browser, if any, someone could always see the player makeup at any given time just by looking at the playernames on the server.
      _________
      <OP8-322>
      %#^^^#%

Comment

Originally posted by OP8
        Then no matter what browser, if any, someone could always see the player makeup at any given time just by looking at the playernames on the server.
        Good idea.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

The number at the end of the hostname continues to represent the number of unregistered players eligible to be bumped by forum-registered players with 5000 points who are joining the full server.

I have restricted this, now, so that only 3 forum-registered players may take advantage of this privilege at any given moment. So, you'll never see the hostname number be higher than three, regardless of how many unregistered players are on the server.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
            The number at the end of the hostname continues to represent the number of unregistered players eligible to be bumped by forum-registered players with 5000 points who are joining the full server.

I have restricted this, now, so that only 3 forum-registered players may take advantage of this privilege at any given moment. So, you'll never see the hostname number be higher than three, regardless of how many unregistered players are on the server.
            Why?

Comment

There were too many hand outs. Basically anyone could register on the forum and build up their points so that they had a reserved slot nearly equivalent to that of a SM reserved slot.

The goal of the change is to continue giving perks to loyal regulars, but limit it so there is still a reason to purchase a supporting membership.
              Steam Community: | |

Comment

I have to be very careful managing how, exactly, I cater to the non-SMs and the SMs, and this is my effort to manage that. korm's comment is accurate. I've got to maintain proper incentive to the NSPlayer who remains a potential SM. Without incentive, SMs don't happen. Without SMs, TGNS doesn't happen. Without TGNS, I'm doomed to WoW. And we can't have that.

It's very easy to take this server, and all of the cost required to manage it, for granted, night after night after night, free of charge. I've got to make sure the number of people who continue to do that is carefully managed. Natural Selection is TG's longest-running uninterrupted title with such activity, and I'd like to keep it that way. I know of no imminent threat to TGNS (in case anyone's wondering), but that dearth doesn't come without design and planning.

I continue to be grateful to the non-SMs who show their support for our server by playing on it. To preserve that, I've got to make sure I maintain the SM base who show their support for our server by paying for it.

Comment

Wyz Micromanages.
                  RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

There was 5 ? (or more the icons dont show up on hltv till the player dies) players on the server when it was full, I tried to join it and I couldn't. Is that how the limit thing works?

Edit: nevermind I now understand how the system works.

LazyEye

Comment

Originally posted by LazyEye
                      There was 5 ? (or more the icons dont show up on hltv till the player dies) players on the server when it was full, I tried to join it and I couldn't. Is that how the limit thing works?
                      Yes, and if you ask me this is too much of a sacrifice in quality for the sake of a questionable gain in subscribers. It doesn't make sense to think about the supporting member potential of someone who won't even subscribe to the forums to avoid getting kicked. There are more than enough opportunities for new players to get a feel for TG when the server isn't full. It's not just about the rights of subscribers; giving unregistered players more protection means everyone, subscribed or not, has to play with them more often. Increasing the number of random pubbers on the server at peak times is going to make existing players think less of the server, and thus theoretically less likely to subscribe.

Comment

I think what zek says is true about this change (with all other things equal). I also think that the level of gameplay and teamwork on the server has suffered a lot. Things that used to be the exception are now becoming the rule. I personally think that there should be a limit to the number of unregistered players who can play on the server at any given time... say, for instance, three :)

Perhaps my view of things is exaggerated and overly dark, but all I know is this: lately, I've had more fun playing combat than NS.

Comment

We should wait and see how this changes gameplay on the server. To those who say gameplay will hurt because too many unregistered players are ruining it, I say unto thee:

gb playername reason

A: If you have enough points for a reserved slot, you have enough to use the gb command.
                          B: At no time should you allow an unregistered player to continue playing on the server if they "constitute a disruption to the TacticalGamer experience".

Non SMs are given near SM perks. We ask nothing of you but to play on the server and follow our rules. In return you can get a pseudo reserved slot and the right to kick other players off the server, alongside other perks. We give you the tools to build the TGNS server community into what you want it to be, so utilize them.
                          USAR

Comment

Another thing I have noticed with this plug-in, The reserved slots are almost always taken, even when the server is not full, The server was 14/18 and had a 0 in the server name with 4 ? players on the server. The game went random and all ? players were on marines, we had 0 teamwork at all.

? players are pretty hit or miss for teamwork and communication, but the ones that have it or want to make an effort to improve will sign up on the forms.

Personally I don't like the current system as it can let many ? players on the server and block normal regulars from joining. For some reason people don't use the GB command as much as they should (people probably don't like kicking other players). I think a new design of a similar system should be looked into.

Here is my idea. Have the points reserve slot kick ? players till there are 3 (or another number) left on the server, if there are 3 on the server they can only be kicked by SM players. This way new players playing on TG wont all be booted off the server by points reserve slots and SM have a better reserve slot than the points one (they did anyway).

Just an idea, the current system could still use more testing.

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
                              To those who say gameplay will hurt because too many unregistered players are ruining it, I say unto thee:

gb playername reason
                              People who follow all of the rules can still hurt gameplay. You can't kick people for not responding to a threat quickly enough. You can't kick people for not following the suggestions of other players (I'm not talking about orders from a commander). You can't kick people for not working as a team. You can't kick people for complaining. You can't kick people for repeatedly rushing in one by one. You can't kick people for just giving up. It's not that I want to see people kicked for these things, I don't, but simply following the server rules does not guarantee good gameplay. Also, having several unregistered players on the server at any given time is not the only "problem" in my opinion.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X