Occasional lag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occasional lag

I feel it's likely something I've done to my system has caused this, but I frankly don't have the patience (or time, hello 3-year-old and 14-week-old daughters) to ferret out the cause.

I typically run NS with no other apps running under WinXP. Occasionally (on average once per match), the action freezes on the screen for about 2 seconds then continues on. Sometimes I'll get the "WARNING" in the upper-right of the screen indicating a network problem, but not always.

FPS max is set to 100, and I think I'm using the "Wyz generally accepted rate" settings. This problem has surfaced within the last 1-2 months, and I haven't added any hardware except for an HP All-in-one printer on my router (it is not directly connected to the PC). I suppose it's possible some spurious traffic from the printer is bumping heads, but I don't know how I'd prove or disprove that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something to check here? FWIW, I have nothing overclocked.

Quick rundown on specs:
    • XP Pro
    • AMD XP 2000+ cpu
    • ASUS A7V333 motherboard
    • 1 gig of RAM
    • 120 gig IDE hard drive (page file on 2nd IDE drive which is a 40 gig)
    • SB Audigy 2 Gamer sound card
    • ATI 9800 Pro video card (AGP 128 megs)
    • Wired LAN connection to SMC 7004ABR router
    • 300 or 350-watt power supply (can't remember which)
    • 1 CDRW drive
    • 1 3-port Firewire card
    • 1 4-port USB 2.0 card
    • Trackball on PS2 connection
    • MS Internet Keyboard on USB connection

Re: Occasional lag

Ingame settings? Does this problem affect other games? Are you running EAX and which version of DirectX is installed?

Comment

Ingame settings (unchanged over the last year as best I can recall):

DirectX 9
      1280x1024 screen resolution
      EAX enabled

As far as it affecting other games, I have no basis of comparison as I don't play anything else online at this time.

Comment

If you get the "Warning: Connection Problem" stuff eevery once in a while, it's likely lag. You don't mention how fast your Internet is or if you use a router or anything, but I'm guessing it's a problem with your connection. It certainly behaves exactly like lag.

Comment

If you format your hard drive and re-install Windows, does the problem still happen?

lol just kidding :)

Have you done any Windows Updates recently?

Run

ping -t tgns.tacticalgamer.com

in the background when you play. When you freeze, hop out ('quit' really fast; alt-tab.. whatever it takes) and check to see if you've REALLY just lost your network or not.

If you have, it could be a local PC problem, local ISP problem, or something anywhere between you and TGNS. A lost network isn't a smoking gun, but it would be good to know if you're really losing your network or if your client is being rendered useless despite its (the network's) service.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I actually did mention I have a router, but that's okay. My connection is 3 meg down, 256k up and has been for 1.5 years. The latency figures actually don't indicate a network traffic problem when this occurs, and it's only occasionaly the warning occurs at the same time the freeze-up occurs.

I don't completely rule out a connection issue, but it's rock-solid stable except for those rare instances during the matches (again, usually only once maybe during the match). I would expect a true connection problem to manifest itself a bit more regularly, or possibly be in the context of a loss of sync (which isn't happening).

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
              If you format your hard drive and re-install Windows, does the problem still happen?

lol just kidding :)

Have you done any Windows Updates recently?

Run

ping -t tgns.tacticalgamer.com

in the background when you play. When you freeze, hop out ('quit' really fast; alt-tab.. whatever it takes) and check to see if you've REALLY just lost your network or not.

If you have, it could be a local PC problem, local ISP problem, or something anywhere between you and TGNS. A lost network isn't a smoking gun, but it would be good to know if you're really losing your network or if your client is being rendered useless despite its (the network's) service.
              Yes, I reformatted, removed and reinstalled Steam, changed the name of my network connection and scanned for spyware.

Just kidding, of course. I've done none of those and won't. :)

I run Windows Critical Updates whenever they're released; figuring out which one may have been applied around the time this started happening is likely to prove...elusive.

I actually like the idea of the continuous ping. I should've thought of that myself. Hell, I do this for a living! Nevertheless, another "pair of eyes" looking at the problem is often beneficial.

Thanks for that idea, Wyz. I'll try that next time I'm online.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage
                Occasionally (on average once per match), the action freezes on the screen for about 2 seconds then continues on. Sometimes I'll get the "WARNING" in the upper-right of the screen indicating a network problem, but not always.
                [...]
                This problem has surfaced within the last 1-2 months, and I haven't added any hardware except for an HP All-in-one printer on my router (it is not directly connected to the PC). I suppose it's possible some spurious traffic from the printer is bumping heads, but I don't know how I'd prove or disprove that.
                Have you tried disconnecting the printer from your router when you play?
                Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

It may be your router itself... how old is it, what brand is it? (I've heard of problems with linksys with this very same thing). I would do as zib recommended and disconnect the router for a spell to see if there is any difference, if not, disconnect the router and go straight through the modem and see if the problem persists.
                  USAR

Comment

Not a Linksys, but an SMC 7004ABR (as noted in OP). The router is probably 4 years old or so.

Not a bad theory. I'll keep it in mind. I have not tried disconnecting the printer yet, but it's on the list already (just seeing if there were any other theories).

Comment

Might as well update your router firmware too. After 4 years they're bound to have found some problems, one of which might be your Half-Life troubles if you're lucky.

Comment

Well the firmware's up to date. It hasn't been modified in over 3 years.

Thanks anyway. :)

Comment

The prize goes to Wyz. No, I'm not writing like Dr. Seuss.

Ran a continuous ping while playing and experienced one brief delay. I Alt-Tabbed out and saw it coincided with a packet drop on the pings.

Now to figure out which side of the router the problem is occuring on.

Comment

Run two simultaneous pings. One to tgns, one to your router's LAN IP. See if the latter fails with the former.
                            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I had this problem a lot in my old apartment on cable modem. After switching the modem to another cable outlet, the problem (and plenty of other problems) went away. So it's possible there could be noise on the cable line as well. Might be unrelated though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X