Alien Teamwork

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Teamwork

Guys, there is time DEDICATED to discussion for some sort of strategy at the beginning of the round. I realise figuring out who does what is tedious, but this is not rocket science. Decide who is responsible for what, some games BE the guy to drop a node... some games BE the guy who goes the life form.

There is a lot of "But I'm not good at *life form* so I'm going to do *something*". Besides the fact that "I'm not Good" is NO excuse, as being "Good" at a life form (or even "Good" at NS) in the sense of "1337 skills" isn't a requirement to play at TG where as communication and teamwork are, that *something* you were going to do isn't done.

There are a lot of games being lost because there are multiple players on the team who are sitting on 50+ res with no decisions on spending. Not good at fading? Who cares! Id rather you fade, learn a little, and have that opportunity then to lose the game because you refused to spend your resources, as they really aren't YOUR resources. Did you want to drop the hive? Then DROP the hive, if your team loses that hive because it wasn't "clear" then it is the TEAMS fault and not yours.

I'm getting irritated (and hopefully I'm not alone with this) with people NOT communicating beyond a few simple text messages like "hive" or "heal me". Play somewhere else if you are just here for yourself, and ONLY play here if you want to play as a team. Teamwork doesn't mean you get to make your decisions based on what entertains you the most, you make your decisions based on the needs of your team.

This behavior is mostly seen when there is an equal mix of unregistered and regular players. It may not be your responsibility to enforce the TGNS play style, but it certainly is in your best interest to live up to it.

Most importantly... Every SM and regular with 5000+ points can use the "gb" command to get rid of unregistered players. gb "name" "reason" and *poof* that player is gone. Teach this, use this. If you don't want to tolerate someones behavior because its NOT what we want at TG, you remove that player.
    USAR

Re: Alien Teamwork

Ah, so it wasn't just me that's noticed this.

Comment

I do believe it's 10000 points, not 5000, to use gb. 5000 is what you need to join the full server when its hostname ends with a number greater than 0 (the number of unregistered guests playing at that moment). Neither activity spends points.

squeak's right, guys. "Git 'er done," so to speak. Spend that cash.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've found that people generally don't listen to what people type in team chat the same way that they respond to voice chat. I can say_team "HIVE!" forever, but nobody responds untill the marines have a phase gate up. I know I'm at a disadvantage because the only microphone I have is a piece of junk that works sporadically at best, and I've given up using it. But please...if you see somebody typing something important, could you repeat it over the voice chat so everyone hears it?

That said, I think alien teams should try some variations on the standard strategy in captains games. There is no reason why we can't do a sc rush more often, or Wyz's no-fade strat. In fact, we should try the no-fade strat more often specifically because it requires everyone on the team to be more involved. As Wyz explained it the first time I heard it, "if the team needs a lerk, then you lerk, even if all you're doing is sitting on the hive and sporing." That's the kind of attitude we need all the time, but it's more necessary in this strat, and it will build teamwork skills better.

Oh, and how do you join a full server if there's unregistered players on and you have enough points? It always gives me the "server full" message.

Sorry if this post is a little disjointed. Just my $.02.

Comment

Originally posted by ----paranoid----
          go into the console and type either of these

connect 67.19.90.170:27015

connect tgns.tacticalgamer.com:27015

One of them is easier to remember but both work :icon_bigg
          Lose the port, even, as we use the default:

connect tgns.tacticalgamer.com

Bam.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Cool. Thanks!

Comment

Or when checking Steam the server's status, copy the IP address, pull of NS, type con in console and press down arrow once, the paste and enter.

Comment

Maybe have some sort of private skill variable that random takes into account when making teams?

Comment

I see what you're trying to say, RedEye, about the marines not needing more teamwork. Indeed, the aliens rely on a more challenging form of teamwork than do the marines.

But your fade comment caught my eye, as teamwork is exactly how you down a LazyEye. Yes, each of the coordinating marines must have skill to a variable degree, but I've played MANY games when the marines on the ground had the skill to kill the uber-fade and simply lacked the coordination.

Comment

Aliens don't need more teamwork, but their teamwork is much more difficult to organize than marines. Marines just need to follow instructions and use combat tactics for things like Fade hunting. Not only is it more difficult for aliens to fight together thanks to melee attacks, but there's nobody to tell them what to do either so if people don't feel like thinking about it, nobody will; the burden of teamwork is on the whole team, not the comm.

It's true that weak links who won't spend their res can bring down an alien team easily, but the intelligent thing to do is keep them on easy duties like dropping nodes and chambers in the early game. Later on it doesn't matter quite as much. If an alien player screws over the team it's not because they're not good enough, it's because they weren't listening and in that case you should get them kicked.

Comment

This is ok aslong as the temp admin wants to or feels that the person requires kicking and if he doesn't, then you are left with a player on your team that has not only hurt the team but will continue to hurt the team for the remainder of the game.

Again, communication, teamwork should be demanded not required on the server.
                      What's the difference between "demand" and "require" in your statement? To me, they mean functionally the same thing.
                      [volun2]
                      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I think that means that if the server was full of no cooperation, they could stay as long as a team player wasn't trying to join. But thats an imaginative stretch on my part.

Comment

You misspelled grammar, which, if you can put personal pride aside, is pretty funny, given the circumstances.

He's saying he wants us to be more "real" in our requirement. I'm damn real when I'm on the server. I check every guest on my team as quickly as I can. Frankly, I get pretty annoyed when I join mid-game and see that, despite 6 other intelligent regulars (who give a damn about the server and its quality of play) having been with this guy for more than 60 seconds (the most amount of time he deserves to be on the server), *I'm* the guy that has to *discover* that he shouldn't be on the server.

On the flip side, I'm very pleased when I see regulars take the INITIATIVE to SCREEN a guest. Yes, it's awkward, but love can be that way sometimes. Love the server enough to demand the very best.

Comment

Thank you for the grammer correction. They do mean the same but demanded gives the impression of being more strict.

As my point was missed because of my poor grammer I will now crawl back under my rock.
                            I didn't mean to offend, para; I was just confused since it sounded to me like we shouldn't be doing Thing A, but we should be doing Thing A instead.

Thank you for the clarification.
                            [volun2]
                            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X