Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help out your fellow player (this is important)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help out your fellow player (this is important)

Beyond the typical accolades for those who do, I rarely bother you guys about becoming Supporting Members (SMs), but now is one of those times. Please, take a moment to read this, at the very least.
    Originally posted by Mateo View Post
    Member contributions fund the site, the services that the site provides, and the servers. It's not a for profit. Apophis funnels the money back into the community at every turn.
    Originally posted by [url=http://www.tacticalwiki.com/index.php/Tactical_Gamer_History]Apophis[/url]
    Tactical Gamer and I were back on our own. I felt obligated to keep the community together and sought out a datacenter to use for our web site and gaming servers. Since that point, the community has been operating completely under its own steam. All of the resources of the community are paid for by the supporting members. As our supporting membership base grows, we are able to provide more services to the community.
    To be blunt: this community costs a hell of a lot of money to run. If you've got cash to spare, and you play here every night, and you're not helping out with a Supporting Membership, I'm saddened.

The high-quality servers and networks we provide to players aren't the only costs we incur. We have to pay license fees for stuff like the forums. There are fees associated with launching new services. All admins (including Apophis) are purely volunteer and purchase their memberships like everyone else. And there's other stuff, too. None of this is possible without SMs.

If you just don't play here that often, I'm not pleading to you. If you play here every night, and you honest to God would be financially irresponsible to spend sub-$9/mo on something you do all the time, I'm not looking for you to act.

But if you play here regularly, and you can manage to become a Tactical Gamer Supporting Member, please do. There's not a lot of drama when servers get turned off around here. There's unceremonious announcements, and then the server is gone.

This thread comes out of the gates locked. I don't want a discussion about why each of us can or can't (or, worse, won't) manage a Supporting Membership. If you can, do it, and thank you. If you can't, you're no less welcome here than you've always been.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: help out your fellow player (this is important)

We're a few months shy of a year since I made this thread, and I read tonight that Tactical Gamer is consolidating and shutting down some servers whose costs can't be justified by the insufficient number of Supporting Members who play on them:
    Originally posted by Apophis
    As much as this game fits [us], it requires an entire machine to operate and hasn't been able to draw sufficient supporting memberships to remain in our lineup.
    Closures like that don't come with a lot of warning around here. We don't harass people to become SMs, and we don't threaten to shut down servers if they choose not to. Which servers we run and which we don't is very much a reactionary affair. If the SM count for a server stays healthy, it's a non-issue. If they don't, for long enough, the server just goes away.

Strategic frugality is one of the many assets that enables the strength that this community regularly shows (and will continue to show after this pruning).

With today's other server closings, TGNS becomes the only server hosted on its own exclusive box (it doesn't share its hardware with any other game; TGNS consumes the entire box). A cost which typically allows us to host multiple high-performance servers for other games is monthly incurred solely to host TGNS.

This makes Natural Selection, in a way, one of the most expensive titles Tactical Gamer hosts. Meanwhile, it's the least-expensive client in our lineup (free), and so it draws a demographic with comparatively little expendable income. That raises the bar for us, the Natural Selection players, to remain diligent in our efforts to support the costs of our server, and indeed our community, by helping to pay the very real bills when we can.

And consider clicking on that link even if you're already an SM, as there are now two Supporting Membership subscription levels to choose from.

Once again this thread remains locked, so as to not pressure any one person. Just consider what a luxury the server is for us, and please help support its costs when and if you can.

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 07-01-2015, 08:47 PM.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Bump!

I created this thread 10 years ago, when NS was one of TG's greatest expenses, and I would appreciate everyone taking a moment to (re-)read it now, as it all applies today, word-for-word.

We have enjoyed high-quality NS2 since its release, at significant unsung expense to TG. With our new NS2 server, Apophis' quote in the previous post (closing a popular flight sim title TG hosted then) could apply to us one day. NS2's server software is VERY demanding, especially with our many TGNS customizations, and TG offers an NS2 experience which some argue is very much worth preserving.

Please take a moment and read this thread from the start. If you're able to subscribe to a TG Supporting Membership, that would help a lot (icing: never get bumped by reserved slots again).

For reasons stated in the previous post, this thread remains locked. My continued thanks to ALL of you!

Comment

Some of you have IM'd me tonight reporting TGNS data failures and uncharacteristic server problems. I've only now escaped life's duties long enough to sit down at my PC tonight and see your IMs, and I want to take time now to draw everyone's attention to a larger, relevant matter at TG.

If you haven't already, please read Apophis' Tactical Gamer - Our Future and Plea to the Community announcement (quoted below), which today draws stark attention to the reality of all of this costing very real money.

TGNS has been intermittently unplayable tonight while TG Administration moves some of our infrastructure (the TGNS Portal, our backend database, our mod backup server, etc -- the absence of these runtime prerequisites explains our TGNS technical problems tonight) in an effort to host more TG offerings on less hardware -- all while maintaining high performance. This resource consolidation is part of a cost-reducing initiative throughout TG. That same initiative is resulting in another once-popular title being discontinued at TG altogether and without ceremonial threats, as my previous posts in this thread have reminded us can happen without warning when a title proceeds long enough at TG without sufficient revenue to cover its costs. Meanwhile, a new title that TG Administration hopes will grow the community will launch soon. This strategy is why TG has lasted 20 years: support the titles which support. Money is tight at the moment, and it's not the first time money has been tight.

TGNS has always been fortunate enough to have some regulars who show their appreciation for TG monetarily (myself included -- admins purchase SM no differently than anyone else and take no compensation for work they do), which is why we're one of Natural Selection's oldest communities -- but we continue to demand some of the most expensive server hardware among TG's titles (NS2 servers are VERY hungry, and our TGNS customizations add to the server requirements and costs).

TGNS is not being discontinued now (our infrastructure will return soon, with the same quality performance as before), but it absolutely /could/ be in the future, also without warning. In the future, you might find the server unavailable, only to discover a forum thread thanking everyone for all the NS (1 & 2) fish. Our title, NS2, is globally... not at an all-time high for player count -- hoping that the other TGNS regular will cover expenses so you can have one of the title's best offerings for free is riskier now than it ever has been. If you want TGNS to survive and you play on it often, consider supporting TG so that TG can continue to support NS.

I have always taken seriously NOT /harassing/ regulars about Supporting Memberships. I'm the sole income in a family of four -- I'm all about money not growing on trees. I arguably stay quiet about Supporting Memberships to a fault (this is the first I've posted about it in... six months?). But now would be a very good time for a fraction of you to realize that this community and our server cost a lot of money to host every month and reconsider what, if any, position you're in to help. For the same reasons I've laid out in this thread's previous posts, this thread stays locked -- if you are or become a Supporting Member and want to make some noise about how grateful you are for TG or TGNS, see the discussion thread link at the bottom of Apophis' announcement.

TG has taken very good care of NS since 2002. I would like very much for NS2 to take very good care of TG.

Many thanks, especially to all of you doing what you can to help.

Originally posted by Apophis
        Fellow Community Members and new visitors:

Tactical Gamer has long strived to be a truly special place on the Internet, where like-minded individuals come together to experience and enjoy a unique brand of tactical, teamwork-focused gameplay with a mature and respectful crowd. Many who wandered in many, many years ago still call TG home.

Over those years, TG has hosted a broad range of quality titles and content for us all to enjoy. Members have worked hard, together, to provide the culture and services that facilitate a special and reliable Community like ours in an ever-changing gaming landscape.

TG is and always has been run entirely by volunteers. However, our services -- forums, game servers, web servers, databases, Teamspeak, member privileges, sundry licenses, etc -- create real and ever-rising costs. For 20 years, TG has done its best to mitigate these rising costs. We regularly discontinue unneeded services, and we choose new services carefully, all based on what we think will create the most value and grow the Community. In the early days, Apophis covered the costs alone. Later, Supporting Memberships allowed us all to start helping.

I'm writing this because Tactical Gamer needs help now. Even despite a recent round of discontinuing non-essential services, our costs continue to outweigh our revenues. Without an immediate injection of funds, TG will soon lose our remaining servers, and ultimately our Teamspeak and forums. TG will cease to exist. Simply put: I am appealing to you all for any assistance you can provide to enable TG to continue being our special place on the Internet.

If TG is special to you, for whatever reason, please consider purchasing a Supporting Membership. These subscriptions are a convenient way to show continued support (optionally, they can automatically renew).

If you want to help, and being a Supporting Member doesn't work for you for whatever reason, here's a link for making a one-time donation, which would also help a lot: Donations

You can also contribute by sending a donation to [email protected]

Either way, please consider supporting this Community and enabling it to continue being a special place online. Consider the range of services and benefits Tactical Gamer provides and how much personal enjoyment you derive from being a part of this great Community. It has always been true that none of this is possible without financial support of our Community Members, and that's at risk of hitting home in a very real way too soon.

Trust that our Administration Team will continue to keep the lights on for as long as possible, whatever this appeal's outcome. But we need your help, urgently. Please contribute in any way you can, and please understand how grateful everyone is for your support.

A discussion thread has been created HERE for any questions/comments/etc regarding this announcement.

Tactical Gamer Administration Team

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X