is it just me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it just me?

i used to make maps a very very very very long time ago from days of unreal.....yes 1

does anyone think we need some new maps!????

post ur ideas or new maps u might like admins to look into implementing!

do you serve a purpose or do you purposely serve

Re: is it just me?

A custom, TGNS map would be fabulous.
    USAR

Comment

If you make a Map, and it is at least reasonalbe, then I think Wyzcrack will put it on the server for testing, and if people like it, then it can stay.

We do need a good new map, the old classic maps are starting to get a little old, and noone wants to play eon or any of the newer classic maps.

Here an idea, how about making a map of some place on earth. Say the Pentagon, you can have the story go something like this.

The Aliens Having won a victory so many times, have Finally made it to earth, You job is to repeal them from the Current Buildup in the Pentagon, Whipe them all Out and repeal them off Earth.
      Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

You make it and i'll play it

I always though a good idea would be to have marines crash land a spacecraft into a foreign planet. The planets atmosphere is like lurk spore so the marines have to relocate into a cave system, But the caves are inhabitated by the aliens. You could have loads of cool cave textures like stalacitites and stalagmites. One hive might be a lava like volcano invironment, another hive might have pools of water and vegitation, and one Hive might have bottomless pits that if you fall into will kill you... think ns_mineshaft only a little harder for the marines

Comment

ns_prometheus and ns_mineshaft are pretty good, I think. It's been a while since I've played them.

Comment

mineshaft is FUN!

i might try to make a map this winter break away from collage ...but i don't know i was not very good back in the day sooo......

there is alot out there

and yes same old maps are getting old!

Comment

Ok... For the record, I am already working on a new map called ns_dana.
              (yeah yeah... I'm avoiding finishing ns_collider for technical reasons, but it will get finished eventually.) Ns_dana is being built off the assorted knowledge I gained in construction of co_jester, and utilizes even more extreme world geometry/architecture in a way I've always wanted to build but didn't have the skills to produce. I've finished working on the marine start and the main connecting hub and frankly, I've been addicted to just running around in the unfinished map because it's just such a neat enviorment. When I got the idea for the layout of this map, I fired up GTKradiant and worked on this new map for 19 hours without getting up from my comp except to pee and eat. After a test compile, I took some screenshots but have no place to host them at the moment because I forgot to renew my domain. Hopefully I'll get that taken care of soon, but I'm broke at the moment. I'll personally send pics to people who want to see em bad enough. All I can say is that I'm really proud of what I have built so far and feel that this map will be something that players can walk around in and feel consumed like seeing the inside of Notre dame cathedral in france for the first time or waking up inside the pyramids. The map is so far the inside of a monstrous device used to intercept and capture souls before they reach heaven. I'm having alot of fun dreaming up all the fantastic machinery that resides inside, and am bulding the architecture with a "real world logic" connectivity in mind. (all rooms have a purpose and are where they "should be", not where the mapper just happened to need to use up space.) As usual, I think this new map will provide some interesting strategy twists and will take into acount the advanced and creative play usually seen on TG. For the record, I plan on having some manner of obvious declaration of it's construction being for "Tactical Gamer" Like seen in co_jester, but have yet to decide on a specific implimentation. I'm taking this opportunity to be as creative as the HL engine will permit. Questions/comments welcome. See you all on the flipside.
              OP8.
              _________
              <OP8-322>
              %#^^^#%

Comment

I don't generally like custom maps. Very few of them can match the quality of the official maps, and in a game like this map balance is very delicate and very important. Obviously there are some custom maps that are exceptional, like orbital, but I don't think we should be reaching out for more maps just for the sake of it.

Comment

Just a quick thought has been in my head for awhile. Most of the players at TG are experienced enough that they can tell what makes a map good and what makes a map bad, so why don't we all get together and design a level? Before anything actually get's programmed have everyone talk it through. Simple design process:

1) Gather ideas from the TG community.

2) Sort out which ideas would work well together (judging by practicality, fitting in with NS, gameplay balance and fun).

3) Use the ideas to create a rough concept of what the map will look like (keeping in mind the NS map requirements).

4) Have everyone take their best shot at finding any flaws in the design of the map (hive too close to MS, MS too easy to isolate, that type of thing).

5) Make a second conceptual map (trying to fix any flaws found in step 4).

6) Have everyone take another shot at pointing out flaws.

7) Actually make a beta version of the map (should take much less time than normal, seeing as a full map should already be drawn out).

8) Short playtest of the map on the TG server.

9) If any bug is found, fix it and repeat 8, otherwise send it for official approval and put it on the Server for good.

My best guess is this would take about 9-14 weeks depending on how coordinated this is, how many flaws need to be addressed, and largest how much time the beta takes to be made (my guess for that estimate is assuming 2-5 weeks to make the map, I've never actually made one so if someone could give me a better estimate for how long it would take to make a NS map that would help me be a little more accurate. I've learned the basics of making a map, just never had a computer to put it to use on).

So, assuming we started the process right after new years, we'd have a submitted map by the end of April, at absolute latest. If we can stay coordinated, we could get it in by Valentines.

Who's interested?
                  "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

I don't know if I could say no to a suggestion like that, as well have had similar thoughts. I neglected to mention out of assuming a lack of interest from others, but in the last few days I have seen evidence that I may have judged too soon. For the record, I can build and detail a full ns map in a week if I have a print to go off of. All my maps so far have been a "design as you go" with only my mental pictures of approximations to go off of, therefor costing great deals of time adjusting and inventing the world as necessary. If appointed the task of geometry construction, I feel that I could (likely) do it faster than a majority of mappers purely on my use and profficency with GTKr instead of hammer. Count me in as interested in partaking of group project such as this.
                    _________
                    <OP8-322>
                    %#^^^#%

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but Zek's comment didnt hit me right away and as a mapper I think it may be wierd to agree with his statement but I do. I feel that for a new map to be worth the time it takes to build, it has to be unique and respectively thought out and beautifull. I have seen so many custom maps that are just the same thing with a few different hallways and textures. I don't mean to belittle the mapping community, but I have seen too much of the same thing... too many damned cargo bays and the like. I personnally have scrapped many designs halfway through when I realized my project had become too "common". There is necessity in making something that stands out and is memorable and still accomplishes stability within balance. This is NOT an easy task, and I think we need to remember that point if we are to accept this task. I don't think that demand as an inhibition, but more a call for creativity and a goal that inspires me to push what can and can't be done. I don't want to build yet another failed improvement to bast or eclipse. I want to build something that Is unique to us, and something all the participants can be proud of saying they had a part in. I don't think we should build things just cause we can or for the sake of it. BUT- I do think we deserve to have something that is our own. "Just for the sake of it" is what they do on public servers. The TG community is what we get when people make something thier own. Maybe some feel united by that more than others, But I want to be more than just another joe with a shirtgun and l337 scripts. Shall we make our own name then? I think we can and should.
                      OP8.
                      _________
                      <OP8-322>
                      %#^^^#%

Comment

I'm glad you're willing to participate. And that shaves a lot of time off the estimate. What would also help would be a admin joining in and making this official, with a sticky topic and all. Maybe even add something like a points bonus for contributing to the project. That could shave about another week and a half off the timeline.

I'm excited about the possiblility of doing this (as my recent posts may have suggested). I've probably spent about 2 hours today (actually yesterday, time flys) drawing ideas.

Edit: (OP8, you type fast apparently) I completely agree, the thing that excites me about this idea is that most of the people at TG aren't your average gamer. You all think, you pay attention, you look beyond the obvious. We, you all, know what a normal map is like, you know what a bad map is, you know what a good map is. And, I'm sure most of you know what makes those maps the way they are (if you stop and think about it). You also know the game very well. You know what makes a Fade work, what areas favor marines, and what favors the kharaa. I have every confidance that together the TG community could make a great map, unique, original, balanced. And I don't see why we can't do it. We have a number of skilled people, and we already have someone willing to do the actual mapping. Let's go for it.
                        "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

well my finals are now OVER!!!!

WOOT so i will be happy to help.....if i can!

i will start on maps tonight

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...