3d drawing program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d drawing program

The talk about map making got me working on something and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a 3d drawing program. I'm trying to draw up portions of a map I've got in my head, but it's heavy on 3 dimensions so drawing it in 2d would require a lot of drawings. So I was hoping that someone could recommend a 3d drawing program that was free, had low system requirements, and could generate a 3d image suitable for someone without the program to be able to view.

No big hurry, It's going to be a while before I get around to showing this to people, just figured I'd ask now.

I hope to eventually show this to everyone, but for now it's just something to work on when I'm in the mood. It should be an interesting map to play on, designed to create long back and forth games.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Re: 3d drawing program

Originally posted by Card AKA Karrd
    The talk about map making got me working on something and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a 3d drawing program. I'm trying to draw up portions of a map I've got in my head, but it's heavy on 3 dimensions so drawing it in 2d would require a lot of drawings. So I was hoping that someone could recommend a 3d drawing program that was free, had low system requirements, and could generate a 3d image suitable for someone without the program to be able to view.

No big hurry, It's going to be a while before I get around to showing this to people, just figured I'd ask now.

I hope to eventually show this to everyone, but for now it's just something to work on when I'm in the mood. It should be an interesting map to play on, designed to create long back and forth games.
    Check out BLENDER:

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Home.2.0.html

That might be able to do it.

Comment

Thanks, that seems to be what I was looking for.

Comment

Try Maya Personal Learning Edition. It takes a few tutorials to get up to speed but it's a very powerful tool, and if you only want to do simple stuff you can pick up the basics real quick.

Comment

OH God!!... I just dl'd blender and fear for my life the response of my girlfriend if she see's what learning this proggy will do to me....
          Cursed hobbies.... like I didnt have enough.....
          _________
          <OP8-322>
          %#^^^#%

Comment

Careful with Blender. It's a pretty weak, watered down 3d modeller. gmax, XSI for HL2, or Maya PLE are much much much better choicse for learning to model, as those are similar/the same to what people use in the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
              Careful with Blender. It's a pretty weak, watered down 3d modeller. gmax, XSI for HL2, or Maya PLE are much much much better choicse for learning to model, as those are similar/the same to what people use in the industry.
              Thanks for the advice. I'm downloading Maya PLE now. Looks interesting. I've been looking for a new hobby. Maybe I can actually pick this up!

Karrd, How do you plan on using a 3d model program to design your map? How will it help? I'm just curious, because I'm having problems designing my level ( been a while now). I might possibly benefit from your ideas.
              birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

He probably wants to sketch out what he sees in his head, only on the computer. That way he can get all the proportions right, look at it from every angle, and if he gets really good he can even try out lighting and textures. You can do just about anything but make the actual map that would go in the game engine.

Comment

Yea, but the bad thing is, after spending all that time doing a 3d render of the map, it would have to be completely re-created in the map editor. Sounds like a big waste of time... maybe Im missing the point?
                  birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

The main reason I asked was so I could show the idea to others. I've got a good model in my head of most of the map, and a good idea of the rest. But I found when trying to draw it in 2d to show to someone, just 1 hive took 8 drawings to accurately show every nook and cranny. Considering how large the map is, I'd end up with 100+ 2d drawings if I tried to show a blueprint to someone. Or, I can make 8-9 3d drawings. Hence, the request for a 3d program.

Comment

Funny that you mention that, cause before I actually build the geometry, I make an 8 unit thick "pad" in my map editor showing where the general layout will be and where hallways and stuff will be proportioned. I make the pad way under where I'll actually build the map so I can use it for reference when building, but then easily delete it when rooms are finished. I just make like a simple minimap style sillhouette that I can see under everything in the x-y top down grid. Its like tracing a drawing and the pad only takes 15-20 minutes to make before starting the mapping process and is invaluable.
                      _________
                      <OP8-322>
                      %#^^^#%

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse