Formations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formations

I was curious if sometime we could possibly have formation training on a night, like for marines and aliens. I'm just thinking about what the server would be like if we had people shooting and bunny hopping in formation like synchronized dancing.

What do YOU think of this "idea"?

Re: Formations

What would be the benefit?

Comment

Edjumication of course. I think that's a great idea. I'm assuming you mean how to position yourself with other team mates...
      birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

I like the idea. I'd likely learn.

From the chair, I often find myself micro-managing the formations of marines on the ground during assaults, as it's very easy to see trouble before it hits based on each marine's position in the group. It would be nice if more people how to position themselves so that me doing so is less necessary.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think he's talking about actually getting players to stay in a particular formation as they move. It would look nice in a video or something but I can't think of any gameplay benefits.

Comment

I would'nt really count on any type of formation when playing marines because things change so fast, but ill throw some tips about stuff I try to do when moving around.

1) When rounding a corner always take the outside, dont hug the wall when going around corners, this gives you more time to shoot a skulk if he is ambushing.

2) When sieging a hive always try to be forward of the sieges so you have a clear line of fire, all buildings do is block bullets.

3) Check as many ambush spots as you can while still moving quickly around the map.

4) In a large room with a group of marines spread out, this will allow you to cover your teammates.

5) When traveling with a buddy don't both go through an ambush spot at the same time, have one go first so the guy behind can cover.

6) If you see no one else covering the back, then you cover the back, this one is important.

I'll add more when I think of more.

Comment

Now that I think about it, for a training night we could practice the proper way to move with other teammates using the tips Lazyeye suggested while having some volunteers to use the other ambush tactics we all know and love.

Comment

Here are some more tips from The Most Frequant Dier:
                -When leading a marine team, if you enage enemies than crouch. Then they can fire at whatever is attacking you without fear of hitting you.
                -If there are marines behind you stay stillish. Do not strafe in front of their LOF.
                -If you are hunting fades or a fade is nearby, move in such a fashion as will let marines body-block all exits quickly and easily. Do not chase the fade, let it come to you. A fade cannot take concentrated fire from several marines for very long, no matter the weapons or weapon level, and it can easily be killed before it cuts through a marine blocking it. If you move, it might escape before you can kill it.
                -Do not run off and chase sounds or enemies. If you move even 10 meters from the rest of your friends, you are that much easier to kill, and your friends are that much more outnumbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Terror
                  Now that I think about it, for a training night we could practice the proper way to move with other teammates using the tips Lazyeye suggested while having some volunteers to use the other ambush tactics we all know and love.
                  I don't think there's much to practice. You just keep doing them until it sinks in. There really isn't a need for a controlled environment to learn good movement habits.

Originally posted by Karkianman101
                  Here are some more tips from The Most Frequant Dier:
                  -When leading a marine team, if you enage enemies than crouch. Then they can fire at whatever is attacking you without fear of hitting you.
                  -If there are marines behind you stay stillish. Do not strafe in front of their LOF.
                  Both of these can have the very real possibility of working against you. A stationary target is easier to bite, and easier to get behind. Proper strafing not only makes you harder to hit, but gives you better shots as well. Hell, I'd rather eat a couple bullets if it means I'll dodge a Fade swing. Rather than restricting your own movements, just try not to stand between the marines behind you and the door in the first place.

Comment

Thats why I said stillish. If a marine is shooting at a fade, don't run between the marine and the fade. And if an onos runs around the corner, you're fixing to die anyway, so you might as well allow as many bullets as possible to hit the onos.

Comment

There are a number of benifits to learning and using standard tactics. The biggest is that it allows you to know even better what your teammates will be doing. That said, as much as I like the idea, when you mix up a group (some knowing the standards, others not) it's worse than nobody knowing becuase you end up expecting them to do things they don't know to do.

So, as a way to improve your gameplay, I doubt it will help much. It would still be fun to do though, and if there's another TG tournement it would be useful.
                      "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

I think it would be worthwhile to do this and take note that there are smart and not so smart ways to move in a group. It's a known thing. Marines die. unless theres a specific reason that a particular marine needs to be alive more than his surrounding teamates, sometimes its more effective to have the guy getting attacked crouch in place to give his teamates a better taget. Granted, in my opinion that guy shouldnt have been out in the middle of the hallway/room to begin with. sticking to the walls is always better because it only provides 1 place where you can be attacked that your teamates cant cover you and enemies dont usually know that. Whn I am skulking and I see many marines in a given hall or room, I make it a point to get behind the one marine that is most "out of group" so that all his teamates will shoot at him instead of me. I know that at least most of you have been involved in 1 or more "Oh snap! OP8 just ate 4 of us" scenarios. And I have to thank the lack of marine intelligent formation for those opportunities. Most of the time when that happens its because I successfully got you all to shoot at eachother more than me. marines are easy to kill when they have a whole clip or more of lmg ammo in them already. I'm not good at taking a marine out if he's alone. That puts all the gunfire on me. But I can do it like a charm if theres a group thats moving stupidly. It is easy to pick out the marine in the "bad" position. I just get behind him and let his teamates do the work.
                        Here is one way to avoid this: 4 man squad in a hallway-

| |
                        |(1) (2)|
                        | |
                        |(3) (4)|
                        | |

Using man 1 as an example, man 2 is the only guy that can help keep him alive if there is a head on attack on that side. If man 1 is too far ahead of man 2, I get the kill. If this were a five man squad, I'd go for the guy right in the middle because then I can likly kill him in 1 bite thanks to his 4 teamates all shooting him. Now lets assume he's jumping around like a bunny, he gets TK'd before I can get him so I go for man 3 because he was the last to se me run past man 1 and will be the easiest kill out of surprise and will likely be the only one still with notable ammo at that time. (kill the threat first, pick off the rest while they're reloading."
                        NOTE TO ALL- I DO THIS EXCACT THING ALL THE TIME.
                        And it works so well I have no reason to stop.
                        Any one who doesnt think that marine formations are important, I thank you for making me a good skulk. I'm not even that good a player and don't use even a single script, but I do well because some people overlook the strategic advantages of being in a good place that lets your teamates help you out.
                        I can tell when Wyz is micro managing his troops ingame because alot of the time his telling people to better thier position, gets me killed. I think everybody needs to learn to do those things on thier own and be able to do the things that he, and I and many other strategic thinkers have recognized as advantegous as "smart" positioning. It IS important. Don't blow it off.
                        _________
                        <OP8-322>
                        %#^^^#%

Comment

Code:
                          Using the 'code' tags allows you to draw neat pictures like this:
                            _O
                           / |\/    <---- Dancin'
                             |_
                           _/  \

and this:

|       |
                          |(1) (2)|
                          |       |
                          |(3) (4)|
                          |       |

Comment

the only advice i can give for marine group formations is to take a position that covers the most degrees of a 360* axis, unless you're facing a wall that is.
                            "Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidibly armed." -Richard Cypher

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X