NS 3.0 - Combat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS 3.0 - Combat?

So NS.org is pretty quiet about it (although I confess, I don't read their forums that much). I know a few of you were talking about playing it, but it doesn't look like it's released. Are you guys essentially a group of beta testers for it?

Anyways, I hear the gameplay is supposed to be completely different from you standard 2.0 game. Are you guys planning on keeping your 2.0 server up? I've just been out of the NS loop.

And for those who have played it: I know you can grab your own upgrades/experience, but is the whole teamwork speil out the window? Can someone fill me in or point me in the right direction? A search of the forums turned up little.

Combat is most quickly related to as team DM. I personally don't think we'll be having a server dedicated to it, as I don't think it's very good(especially compared to "classic" NS). But that's me. :)

Some of our members here are constellation members, and thus have access to 3.0 at this time. Hopefully that means 3.0 will be awesome, but I have the feeling that certain changes will never be made that most likely should be.

Comment

Combat will be played on this server for small games only, with the game automatically transitioning to classic NS when the player count gets high enough.

At least that's the plan now.

As far as how much fun NS:C is...well...imagine running up to a wall and throwing yourself against it. Now do it again. And again. And again...

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

NS combat would be cooler if more things were on fire...

Flaming skulks, Flaming marines, Flaming onos. Man...

(dunno why i had those extra I's there.)

Comment

Once again, I'm the odd man out I guess. I enjoy it, to a point. But a "real" NS game with you guys is preferred.

Comment

You mean like the flaming skulls in Doom 2.
            I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Fire just tends to make things better.

Comment

I thought Bentley was our flaming skulk?

tee hee

Wyzcrak
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm very eager to have NSC here. If you had never seen our server, half of you would have abandoned NS as a teamless game long ago. Most of the pleasure I took from playing NSC when I did was drawn from my visions of what it would be like on our server.

Apophis would decide if we add a server dedicated to NSC, but I doubt seriously any of us will decide there is enough demand for one. Our NS 3.0 server will play NSC maps when fewer than X people are on the server (I'd imagine X to be 10 or 12) and will switch to a normal NS map whenever the map changes while at least X players are on the server. NSC games will not be interrupted and switched to a normal NS map just because that Xth player joined. The game will finish, and only then will the map change.

Consider this as well: the hosting of NS at TG is no guarantee that NSC will be hosted here. If we can't make it happen with tactics and teamwork, it won't be hosted here. That's not my decision, but that's what this place is all about.

That having been said, I'm very much looking forward to NSC games here. We know each other very well, and what we're capable of, and that plays heavily into the strategies we sometimes use against each other. I don't suspect NSC will find us void of that satisfaction.

Wyzcrak
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

:D :D

No offence Bentley.
                    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                      I thought Bentley was our flaming skulk?

tee hee

Wyzcrak
                      That's flaming gorge. You don't know the diff between skulk and gorge on sight? Even if they are a bit confused (in drag and whatnot), they look very different.

hehe
                      --
                      CaveDog
                      "Go sell crazy somewhere else... we're all stocked up here."

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                        So NS.org is pretty quiet about it (although I confess, I don't read their forums that much). I know a few of you were talking about playing it, but it doesn't look like it's released. Are you guys essentially a group of beta testers for it?

Anyways, I hear the gameplay is supposed to be completely different from you standard 2.0 game. Are you guys planning on keeping your 2.0 server up? I've just been out of the NS loop.

And for those who have played it: I know you can grab your own upgrades/experience, but is the whole teamwork speil out the window? Can someone fill me in or point me in the right direction? A search of the forums turned up little.
                        While many of us here are Constellation members, I think I'm the only one who plays it on a somewhat regular basis. At least, I've not seen anyone else on for a very long time.

Combat Gameplay is different from Classic gameplay. The essence of Combat is that it is supposed to capture the feel of every battle that has happened in Classic NS, and compress it into one short (generally 15 mins) game. It is more individual based, however teamwork is still important. As a closest comparison, I would liken it to Team Fortress Classic. Sure you can play your own game, but if you team up, you'll crush the other team.

Combat currently works on a Experience/Leveling system. The Player gains experience by killing members of the opposite team, or being near teammates that make kills. So sticking together is encouraged. There are a total of ten levels you can achieve, and a total of nine experience points that you can spend during the game.

When you level up, you gain an experience point. The point allows you to purchase upgrades to your player. Example:

I am a marine, and I recieve my first level up (1-3 skulk kills) I then have the following choices: Level 1 Armor, Level 1 Weapons, or equiping myself with a Welder, Mines, Motion Tracking, or Ping (scanner sweap) There is a tech tree you have to follow in NS:Combat as well. In order to obtain Heavy Armor or a Jetpack, you need at least Armor 2, or to get heavy weapons, you need to tech Weapons 1 > Shotgun > either HMG or GL. So during the course of the game, you can get quite powerfull, but you cannot, due to the level cap, have everything. My Personal favourite loadout currently is Armor 2, Weapons 3, Heavy Armor, a Welder, and an HMG. (Thats using all 9 upgrade points)

The Kharaa, as usual, work somewhat differently. They still have a leveling system, with a total of 9 upgrade points availabe. With those points, you can add upgrades to your player, and upgrade your lifeform. The fun twist however is you can have multiple upgrades from each chamber. Aka you can have Carapace, Regen, Clerity, and Adrenaline. In fact, its entirely feasible to have a skulk with all nine chamber upgrades. But then you can never upgrade your species, or your ablities. Also, when you upgrade your species, when you die you spawn as that same species, with the same upgrades. So you don't have to re-choose your upgrades. There is an experimental game mode in play right now (Hambone Mode) that allows you to respend your points when you die, but its not very good right now.

As far as how it plays, it can be a lot of fun. It is essentially the major battles condensed into one game. If anything else, it does help improve your "combat" skills. As players are generally stronger due to multiple upgrades, good aim and quick reflexes are required. Also, while its perfectly acceptable to rambo, if you want to level up quickly, staying in groups an covering/attacking together works best.

In my opinion, yes its fun, but it won't replace Classic NS. Just another form of NS thats good to play once and awhile, to relive stress :)
                        I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Combat is great when it's 3-6 players a side; beyond that it gets too hectic for my tastes. What it was designed to do, it does well: help kill time until enough players are present to have a good game of regular NS, and to help newbies become familiar with the tech, abilities, and life forms available. As Bentley mentioned, it is also a great way to work on your aim. When I was playing combat regularly, I was a much better skulk, and my shotgun skills were second only to VIETHAM's :)

And as I've said in other threads, verbose loves nothing more than being a silenced, cloaked, focused skulk :twisted:
                          "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Sounds like you guys have it under control as far as Combat is concerned, so I'll just wait to see if you decide to run it. If so, hey more's the fun.

Just gimme my pistol and knife: It's skulk huntin' time.

Comment

I like NSC. I have had some really great battles. I DONT think its like throwing yourself at a wall. I think its a break from regular NS play.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X