reserved slots logic change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reserved slots logic change

When a slots-privileged player is inbound and several bump candidates are equal in the eyes of our reserved slots logic despite its several cascading and complex conditions, something's got to break the tie.

Before, that was how long you'd been playing in your current session (longer play session left you at more risk).

Moving forward, the tie breaker will be how long you've been playing at TGNS historically (longer history leaves you at more risk).

With both the old and the new, the victim might get bumped from a game at any given moment. What's new is: the longer you play historically without electing what newer players might sooner elect (signing the Primer, or purchasing a TG Supporting Membership), the more vulnerable you are to inbound players who have elected that.

If you aren't a Primer signer despite a long history with TGNS as a Stranger, the slots logic will tie break bump you, leaving alone relatively new Strangers who might sign the Primer at a point on their TGNS timeline that's earlier than your current point on yours.

Similarly, if you aren't a TG Supporting Member despite a long history with TGNS as a Primer signer, the slots logic will tie break bump you, leaving alone relatively new Primer signers who might become a TG Supporting Member at a point on their TGNS timeline that's earlier than your current point on yours.

This is a small step toward more often filling the game server with regulars who have signed the Primer and who have purchased TG Supporting Memberships, which improves the overall quality of our gameplay and the likelihood that it will continue undeterred at TG.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Unchanged (everything else, basically):

) Primer signers still can't bump other Primer signers

) Supporting Members still can't ever get bumped by anyone

) Reserved slots are still completely disabled during Captains games

) Play session duration still determines which two Strangers are slots-immune (those two with the longest play session duration cannot be bumped, even by Primer signers or Supporting Members)
    -- that is, Strangers are still incentivized to help seed the server

) Play session duration still determines which two Primer signers are slots-immune (those two with the longest play session duration cannot be bumped, even by Supporting Members)
    -- that is, Primer signers are still incentivized to help seed the server

) Karma is still required for Primer signers to bump Strangers during gameplay

) Karma is still automatically spent by Strangers and Primer signers to avoid being bumped

) etc

) etc

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

This all seems very confusing. Maybe you could break it down by role (Supporting Member, Primer Signer, and Stranger), and explain when they can and when they cannot bump someone? I'm on the server right now, and cannot bump a stranger, and came here to see if I could understand why, but I'm thoroughly confused.

UPDATE: I May have been tripped up by sh_slots. I wasn't paying close enough attention, and only focused on the 8v8 - Teams are full message, in such a way that I did not see the sh_slots message.
      Last edited by HaX^; 10-02-2016, 11:26 PM.
      HaX^

Comment

I'll get mention of sh_slot added to the "How do I get a reserved slot?" section of the Required Reading.

The Required Reading explains the reserved slots logic in detail. Anyone with uncertainty about particular scenarios may articulate any scenario in detail here, and I'll explain how the slots logic would behave in that scenario.

I'll list one scenario. None of the following has been changed by this thread's opening post subject matter:

Q. If I'm an SM, should I be able to join the game if there are non-SMs who haven't signed the Primer?
        A. It's very likely, but not guaranteed.

The beginning answer, of course, is "yes".

But: the two Strangers[1] who have been playing the longest[2] have immunity from reserved slots, no matter the incoming player, but this immunity applies only during the Stranger's first 10 games.

If the only two remaining Strangers have fewer than 10 games and this immunity, your bump pool becomes limited to non-SMs who have signed the Primer. But similar immunity applies to them, too...

The two longest-playing[2] non-SM Primer signers have immunity from reserved slots, regardless of game count.

All of this leaves reserved slots very reliable for SMs while preserving two very important ingredients: 1) new blood is always safely flowing through the game server and 2) there's always a little room guaranteed for folks who can't help fund what they regularly consume. And it daily puts up to four slots up for grabs for any enterprising immunity holders to seed the server and then enjoy it all evening long, guaranteed.

[1] "Stranger": what the slots logic calls non-SMs who haven't signed the Primer
        [2] current session, spanning mapchanges

Comment

I recommend including instructions on how to bump a player (i.e., attempting to join a full team from the ready room) in the Required Reading. It's simple, but I had no idea how it worked until I asked Wyzcrak about it yesterday. I never bothered asking until yesterday because I never had intentions of bumping anyone mid-game. I guess it's somewhat intuitive to spam j1/j2 in order to attempt to bump someone, but it never occurred to me for some reason. It's kinda funny how the Required Reading goes into detail concerning the reserved slot logic and the fact that you can bump, but it never explains how to bump. :P

Also, is it more correct to say there are two types of bumping? One is joining a full server, freeing up a slot in either the ready room, spectator, or one of the teams, kicking the victim from the server. The other is joining the server when ready room and spectator slots aren't full, but both teams are. In this case, bumping a player by attempting to join a team just sends the victim to the ready room instead of kicking them from the server.

Comment

I'm adding text to the Required Reading that explains that, while sh_slot doesn't place you on a team, its use is a prerequisite to even attempting to join a full game by attempting to join either team. So hopefully that will help.

Reserved slots never physically kicks anyone from the server. That's why we use the term "bump" in the context of reserved slots. Players are "bumped" to the Ready Room (never to Spectate) when someone in the Ready Room uses a reserved slot to take their place on a full team.

The only automated, population-based kicking (forced disconnection from the server) is against Ready Room dwellers (Spectators are never bumped or kicked by any automation) when the server is literally running out of physical slots. If we're down to just one spare physical slot, and you're in the Ready Room, you'll see several warnings that you'll be kicked if you don't join a team or Specate (which you're sometimes unable to do due to full teams and Spectate only allowing 7 occupants). If you remain in the Ready Room despite these warnings, you're kicked from the server -- this is the only capacity automation that physically disconnects clients from the game server, and it acts independently from the reserved slots code which only bumps players to the Ready Room.

So, there's not "two types of bumping", really. Rather, there's "reserved slots code" (does not disconnect players) and what I've always referred to as "sweep" code -- independent of reserved slots, this latter "sweep" code "sweeps" Ready Room dwellers off the game server entirely anytime the game server is otherwise at risk of having zero physical slots. The problem with running out of physical slots? No one can join to the Ready Room at that point to try to use their reserved slot.

You'll sometimes see 8 spectators during a full game, but that's because an admin has forced an 8th onto Spectate. Generally, 7 is the limit, and anyone who can't join Spectate is eventually "swept" off the game server once it reaches 24 filled physical slots.

Comment

Wyzcrak Ah, now I fully understand how bumping and sweeping works. Thank you for the explanation, Wyz. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X