REQUEST: AFK timer change pregame

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REQUEST: AFK timer change pregame

Sometimes a player joins a team, and runs to grab a quick drink from another room, only to return and discover his/her team slot has been lost to an afk timer, and now cannot join.

I'd like to request that all Primer signers get an additional 15 seconds pre-game added to the AFK timer, so they can safely perform a short task without fear of losing a place on the team.

Once the game starts, all default timers apply.

Others mentioned it on the server, and it was requested they post a thread for it, so I'm doing it now, as I think it was a good idea.

I can dig this, but..

How do we avoid misinformation about how long each player has? Players educate each other about AFK timers all the time, and variable timers doesn't have a lot of precedent in the title. If my screen says "AFK timer: 30 seconds", and I don't know the backstory of this change, what halts my misinforming a Stranger he's got 30 seconds?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Is it's Primer only, then it doesn't affect strangers. Primer get is as signer's benefit, no need to effectively communicate. It's passive.

Comment

The "it" isn't the timer, it's the education that happens regularly. The education isn't passive, and it's not provoked -- people just /do/ it, especially when Strangers are getting bumped at 15 seconds.

Stranger: "WTF! I was AFK kicked..."
        Primer signer: "Yeah.. you only get 30 seconds. It says it right on your screen."

I'll try to figure out a solution.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm not particularly opposed to the current short AFK time, because of the need to not miss the start of the match. However if I'm sitting at my computer waiting for the game to start, and I look down at my tablet or phone to read something while the teams are getting sorted out, I can't seem to hear the AFK noise and end up getting booted to the readyroom. This has happened a few times now, and from testing yesterday I found I wasn't able to distinguish the AFK noise from the normal sounds of aliens careening off walls in the pregame.

Either extending the timer to 30 seconds or making the noise a bit more distinctive would solve my problem.

Comment

Changing noise volume is out of scope to changing the timer. Most folks hear the noise just fine, and I'd need a lot more folks failing to hear the noise before changing that.

Comment

My thought process is this: the timer is default 90% of the game. The change only applies to Primer signers pregame, and as such, is an invisible time bump to Strangers. Hence, I wouldn't worry about any education regarding this change. I doubt Strangers are going to be timing players standing still in pregame, and for most people, the simple fact they didn't get dropped to RR will be enough.

In other words, if you're willing, implement the change, keep it off the record.

Comment

I'm willing, on this. Deployed. Let me know if you see any defects.

Comment

Good request rad4Christ, im a little slow with most stuff so i support this change.
                  Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Still have no power, so sorry for late reply. Thanks Wyz! It'll probably be this weekend before I get to see it in action!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X