two changes for Spectators

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two changes for Spectators

The spectator slots have been really popular lately. That's wonderful(!), but it's important that we leave the last/24th physical slot on the game server available for anyone trying to join the server and use their reserved slot (or, when reserved slots are disabled, for folks wanting to actively watch the game in progress).

Toward that end, two changes for spectators:

) I've enabled AFK enforcement on Spectators when all Spectator slots are full (7 normally, 8 when Captains Game is in progress and/as reserved slots are disabled).

) I've asked myself and the other admins to shy away from forcing 24th slot folks to spec -- it's hard for us to say no, but we're going to try to leave that last slot open when reserved slots are enabled.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

We should probably just get it in our heads that the server is full at 27, so the 28th is really just taking up space and should return later. Steam and NS2 both support joining when a slot opens, though, so it's hard to watch. I guess we have the notifications bots and the push service. That probably should be used more by people that care about that last useful slot.

Comment

I find this change extremely irritating in that the 24th player has to sit in the readyroom active in order to stay on the server.

When the server is full, it should be full.

Comment

Activity is irrelevant to the 24th player in the Ready Room. Active or not, the 24th player in the Ready Room will be kicked. Hence the message displayed to that player: Play or Spectate.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

That is the frustrating part for the 24th player. They want to either play or spectate but they are unable to do so from the server.

Comment

I will double check the connection logic to make sure it is not inviting people to join who have nowhere to go. It is a more common observation, in my experience, that the 24th person who gets kicked is able to bump someone from the game, and chooses not to.

Comment

After my review, I'd expect the server browser to refuse anyone for whom neither a game slot nor a spectator slot is available (the user experience and diagnostic efforts are regardless made worse by the fact that vacancies can change significantly in the time it takes a client to load the game and connect to the game server). If you're stuck in RR, actually unable to bump anyone (remember: sh_slot is now a prerequisite to bumping anyone) and unable to join spectate, and I'm on the game server, admin chat to me so I can gather some diagnostic information about the privileges of the various connected players.

Comment

This may be a can of worms opening up, but can sh_slots be used to bump someone from spectate? This would be mostly used during captains when you can't bump someone from that game, but do want to be in on the next one?
                sigpic

Comment

If reserved slots continue to be in high enough demand, I might implement reserved slots for Spectate (I might not). Weaknesses in my implementation make it a more daunting dev effort than logic might suggest.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X