Infested Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infested Changes

Love the changes to Infest. I was wondering if we could make one change, or get feedback on the idea.

I'd like to reduce the speed hunger affects the infested when they are on infestation by 1/3. This would alter the timers that we've gotten on lockdown so well (initial infested dead by 2:40, etc), and allow infested a chance to hide near nodes waiting on their prey. It would force the marines to be a little more mobile, and the infested a chance to not have to always rush in desperation.

Thoughts?

I've deployed this. Let's get some feedback and see if it's a design worth iterating on.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

( this change is advertised during play, too )

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I like it in concept, only infested rounds I've played with the changes though haven't had a chance to see how it feels - I know that was my one complaint though, felt like infested have to rush marines even though it gives them away rather than have more strategy so hoping it'll help. (My only infested rounds so far were, marine teamkilled, last marine killed, infested and immediately killed, so no playing with infested hunger/starvation duration for me yet.)

Comment

I am dubious of this change.

The hunger mechanic was added specifically to force Infested to act, and take risks... and not just wait for the perfect opportunity... or even worse, to just wait for the air quality to drop to 0 without ever doing anything.

The air quality serves a similar purpose, in the inverse... to push the survivors to make mistakes and need to rush around in order to accomplish the objectives.

The two are connected, and if you lessen the impact of hunger without also lessening the impact of air quality, you encourage Infested players to just camp around and wait to win via the Air Quality mechanic.

Not to say those values are perfectly balanced. They're probably not. But when changing one you *need* to be aware of how that interacts with the other mechanics, and why it exists in the first place.
          remi.D

Comment

Right. Necessary design knowledge accounted for, I think the balance will never be perfect and might as well cater to preference. If folks like how this feels, we can keep it -- alternatively, we can change or remove it -- as long as we retain the core mechanics (flipped or not) that identify the mode and make it so fun.

Comment

I think I'm seeing too many infested wins. It seems the only time infested lose if they are grossly incompetent about their play, not any specific victory for the marines. That's just my feel over the last half a week.

Comment

Several ideas on infested mods:

- When the second-to-last marine is infested or dies, a map wide ping occurs (or perhaps just a ping around the last marine) so that the last marine has an idea what they're in for. Perhaps this doesn't occur if there are less than 3 infested remaining?

- Give infested the web ability. I think this could add additional strategies to for players to consider.

- Power nodes build 2x faster. This may encourage marines to build dead power nodes thereby reducing the effectiveness of any skulking infested players.

Comment

Power node build times should definitely be sped up, because they don't really do anything and so are a bit of a noob trap as they are.
                  remi.D

Comment

Powernodes build 2x faster now.

I liked the web idea until I decided that intel and relative speed aren't significant challenges for Infested. I do want Infested to be able to drop clogs, though, to give them more pathing options and more "jump scare" potential.

Comment

It is impossible to prevent yourself from getting infested from above.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X