Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any up-to-date guides for Skulk movement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any up-to-date guides for Skulk movement?

I see most of the experienced players moving so smoothly bunny hoping/wall jumping without losing the speed on rooms/turns where I would have. I know as far as if you jump on a wall you get speed> I try using the "hold W + D + turn slightly to the right" but I keep losing my speed.

I saw this on youtube but it feels a lot different now (maybe it's just me)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjHsyw5WfU

This is one of those crucial skills that more players need to improve in order to decrease the overall skill gap. I think it's great that you're asking about it. Even though that guide is old, its fundamentals still apply today. I vaguely remember having watched that same guide for improving my wall jumping. :P

Here's nearly everything I know about wall jumping in case that guide left something out (I only skimmed through it):

As you wall jump, always hold the strafe direction that you're turning, no matter how little you move the mouse. I keep things simple by always holding a direction even if I want to just go straight forward. This trained me to instinctively hold the correct direction no matter how subtle the turn was. The only downside is that it causes you to strafe ever so slightly while jumping, so you have to actually turn the mouse the opposite direction slightly if you want to wall jump in a straight line without losing speed (such as across a long, straight wall)

You should always hold down crouch while wall jumping. This prevents you from sticking to walls and losing speed. The only downside is that it preconditions me to always drop to the ground if a marine catches me off-guard and I decide not to continue wall jumping. I rarely release crouch at the apex of a wall jump, which can otherwise be useful for wall juking (especially since a relatively recent patch made wall running faster than ground running).

Try your best to barely clip walls at high speed in order to conserve that speed. Avoid hitting walls at greater angles than necessary at high speed. This is why racing lines are so important. Over time, you'll be able to memorize and recognize the best paths for gaining and retaining speed.

Learn to balance consecutive wall jumps with regular wall-less (therefore, boost-less) jumps. This is often the case if you can't find a wall to jump off or you make a mistake.

The ability to hold down the spacebar to queue jumps has been a nice quality of life improvement. When you have high speed, however, it doesn't help much when you go up a steep incline and you don't have walls to jump off. Some examples are from Sub to Overlook, Pipe to Dome, Hub to Mezz, etc. In this case, I simply spam jump as quickly as possible and hope that I don't lose much speed. This can be really fun to do even if it makes me noisy.

From time to time, you can gauge your wall jumping effectiveness at round start by trying to overtake your teammates and being the first to reach a certain room. This only applies if you and your teammates go the same direction out of spawn of course.

I find that a higher fov makes wall jumping harder due to how far walls can seem to be from your model. This is the trade-off that I found by using max fov. This is why you'll sometimes see me jumping near walls in replays without gaining any speed. Being able to see more of my surroundings is more important to me, though, especially since I play using a lower in-game resolution.

Once you become pro at wall jumping, start wall jumping backwards. Then gauge marine positions through sound, do 540' turn bites, and crank out those montage videos.

Comment

sh_laps in your console as a skulk. Work on your wall jumping such that your track times get lower and lower. :)
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Nice, I will work on it. I find it relaxing to cruise thru the map as a skulk :D

Btw, where do you bind your crouch key? Left ctrl kills me.

Comment

I bound it to one of my side mouse buttons for fading. While blink hopping as a fade, I constantly need to hold crouch since it's easy to get caught on low ceilings and doorways otherwise. Constantly holding left ctrl was killing my pinky too, and using my thumb to hold MouseButton3 is much easier. The only downside is on marines; toggling crouch and aiming is really tough for me. There aren't many situations where I want to hold crouch while shooting, whereas I might want to toggle it for sneaking and then juking.

Comment

I got a spare mouse button to give it a go. Just spent an hour doing veil perimeter during a conference call. Aside from a couple FULL STOPS from hitting a wall I improved overall. 57 secs.

Gotta love home office.

Comment

Could we remove the whole marine spawn touch of death thing? Then moving through it would be feasible when practicing.

Comment

When I had sh_laps turned on I would not take damage on marine spawn

Comment

Correct. sh_laps has prevented opponent spawn location damage for over a month now.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Oh, sorry. I like to run around, but not using sh_laps. Guess I should turn it on.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X