[Request] Biomass And hive count affecting egg spawn rate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Request] Biomass And hive count affecting egg spawn rate

In the server tonight, Wyzcrak was discussing some alterations he's made to the egg spawn locations, which I am sure he'll post when he's matured his code, but a conversation brought to light a fact that surprised Wyzcrak, and myself in his telling.

Currently, neither biomass nor hive count has any effect on egg spawn timing. Simply, more biomass or hives DO NOT increase the amount of eggs spawning, nor does it decrease the time between eggs spawned.

I would like to request a .1 (one tenth) of a second DECREASE in spawn time for every additional biomass. That means if what I quickly googled is accurate, one egg spawns every 4 seconds. This change would mean a 3 biomass hive would spawn an egg once every 3.8 seconds. two hives with biomass 6 would spawn eggs every 3.5 seconds, and Biomass 9 would be 3.2 seconds.

This isn't a HUGE change, but in some early game domination where aliens are trying to regroup, electing to research biomass might be a tactical priority to bring more lifeforms back into the filed. IE, researching biomass would be the equivalent of an additional IP instead of W1.

Please post your feedback, and if possible, maybe we could test this for a week, and conclude our findings in a Captains night.
    Last edited by rad4Christ; 12-14-2016, 12:44 AM.

In our 8v8, an egg spawns once every 9.75 seconds[1]. This delay is independent of hive count. Hives don't spawn eggs -- it just looks like they do. Rather, the game spawns eggs on a set schedule, choosing where to place them based on available hives. Increasing hive count does not increase egg spawn rate for the Alien team (it raises total egg inventory CAPACITY, which can FEEL like faster eggs, but it's not).

My quick code review suggests to me that the UWE code relevant to this request is easy enough for me to mod, so we could experiment with this.

Your proposed decrease of 0.1 seconds, in the context of an egg typically spawning every 4.0 seconds (not accurate, but follow me) was a proposed decrease of 2.5%, at Biomass 1, of the typical delay (0.1/4.0). Shall we just apply a 2.5% reduction, per Biomass level, to the delay that comes OUT of UWE's equation?

-
    Biomass Stock 8v8 Delay Post-fx Decrease Modded 8v8 Delay Difference
    1 9.75s 2.5% 9.51s -0.24s
    2 9.75s 5.0% 9.26s -0.49s
    3 9.75s 7.5% 9.02s -0.73
    4 9.75s 10.0% 8,78s -0.97
    5 9.75s 12.5% 8.53s -1.22
    6 9.75s 15.0% 8.23s -1.52
    7 9.75s 17.5% 8.04s -1.71
    8 9.75s 20.0% 7.80s -1.95
    9 9.75s 22.5% 7.56s -2.19
    10 9.75s 25.0% 7.31s -2.44
    11 9.75s 27.5% 7.07s -2.68
    12 9.75s 30.0% 6.83s -2.92
    -

I think this meets the spirit of what you had in mind, but it's not the only implementation available to us. Thoughts?

[1] UWE defines the equation (kEggGenerationRate * idealTeamSize/math.max(idealTeamSize, alienTeamSize)) for defining how many seconds will pass between each spawned egg (hives don't spawn eggs -- the game does). Also, UWE defines kEggGenerationRate as a constant 13 and idealTeamSize as a constant 6, and typical TGNS play results in alienTeamSize being 8.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

That sounds great to me. I was hoping, whatever the actual times, the bump was very small. 2.5% seems right. Although, if I'm reading the table above correctly, there shouldn't be a bump for 1 biomass, correct? Game start should be vanilla, otherwise there's an initial buff.

Comment

Ah. That's right. As follows, then:

-
        Biomass Stock 8v8 Delay Post-fx Decrease Modded 8v8 Delay Difference
        1 9.75s 0.0% 9.75s 0.0s
        2 9.75s 2.5% 9.51s -0.24s
        3 9.75s 5.0% 9.26s -0.49s
        4 9.75s 7.5% 9.02s -0.73
        5 9.75s 10.0% 8,78s -0.97
        6 9.75s 12.5% 8.53s -1.22
        7 9.75s 15.0% 8.23s -1.52
        8 9.75s 17.5% 8.04s -1.71
        9 9.75s 20.0% 7.80s -1.95
        10 9.75s 22.5% 7.56s -2.19
        11 9.75s 25.0% 7.31s -2.44
        12 9.75s 27.5% 7.07s -2.68
        -
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I like it. Player thoughts?

Comment

I'm personally of the opinion that aliens don't need a buff, especially late-game. I like it conceptually, but outside the vacuum of it as an idea, it may just tip the balance further, however small it may be.

Comment

In the spirit of participating in the forums as was requested on the server tonight, I will agree with Tod. Aliens are already pretty strong late game, and increasing the spawn rate of aliens seems to me to tip that balance the wrong way. If you want to do this change anyway, then I'd suggest maybe making onos less powerful, while simultaneously making them easier to attain. Exos are 45 res, but onos are 62.

Comment

And by less powerful onos might I suggest maybe less armor, or less health, or less speed. Something that is as big as a house shouldn't be able to move as fast as a jet.

Comment

i feel the change would be fine as aliens only spawn as skulks which aren't effective late-game except for res biting. They can kill JPs but it is difficult. Besides a -1.22 at the typical biomass level most games isn't really going to be much of a difference.

Comment

While I agree that the focus on the late game seems arbitrary to me, as lack of eggs has never been an issue to me after midgame, I don't know if I'm saying that from ignorance (we may have often been on the verge of needing eggs), but yes, this will affect early-mid game most, and late game would have little impact, EXCEPT when assaulting a hive. Reinforcement eggs would spawn faster...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X