new: Spectate is remembered across mapchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new: Spectate is remembered across mapchange

Long ago, we changed the game server such that AFK spectator clients would remain there between rounds. That's unchanged by the following.

The game server doesn't bump AFK spectators to the Ready Room unless the game server is very crowded. When the game server is very crowded, anyone -- AFK or not -- remaining in the Ready Room is removed from the game server. All of that is unchanged by the following.

With changes I've just made to the game server, it will automatically put you into Spectate when the map finishes loading if you were there before the map changed. This automation is scoped only to the moment your client loads after the mapchange.

Folks sometimes join Spectate to communicate that they're around but not yet able to play. This becomes misinformation when the map changes and they land back in the Ready Room with everyone else. Maintaining that Spectator status across mapchanges will help those playing better understand who's actually available.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Thank You Wyz. Can't wait to upload more Replays of Random people when I'm in spec.

Comment

good across mapchange, tested and works nicely. However during round change it will move me from spec to rr if not afk. I propose once you manually enter spec you stay there until you manually go to ready room, or until server full afk bump.

Comment

What event is sending you to RR?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

In my initial rollout, leaving Spectate was sufficient for being removed from the mapload Spectator automation. This was causing absent folks to remain in ReadyRoom after mapchanges following RR AFK bumps from Spectate -- in the context of a now-non-crowded server, folks who weren't around were being left in the ReadyRoom despite intending to be in Spectate, because the AFK logic had interfered in their absence.

I've changed the logic such that joining Marines or Aliens is now required to be removed from the mapload Spectator automation. Once you join Spectate, you'll now forever be sent to Spectator automatically any time the map loads until you join Marines or Aliens, at which point you'll be removed from the automation.

This will surely result in our occasionally being sent to Spectate when we don't intend it, but this only ever happens at mapload, at which point we can immediately and effortlessly F4 back to Ready Room and continue being wherever we intended. On the flip side, it makes it much more reliable that, short of your being removed from the gameserver entirely, you'll more reliably stay in Spectate if you place yourself there.

And, of course, if this proves too problematic for too many players, I'll revisit again.

Comment

I believe I experienced this today. Pure awesomeness. Thank you Wyz.

Comment

Did a little testing. Mainly this would be for having a macro stay in FPS spectate mode checking the map periodically. without getting removed from spectate. Basically a non afk way of staying in spectate FPS mode until manually going RR, Aliens, or Marines.

1.) Being Not AFK in spec sends to RR on round change.(Edit: must have happened with mapvote as 5 minutes after this post I stayed in spec, but changed to overview from FPS, across round change.)
              2.) Need Command to be in FPS spectate mode as either mapchange or round change triggers (didn't take good enough notes)
              3.) Being Not AFK in spec sends to RR for mapvote, thus being in RR at beginning of new map.

I understand these changes aren't for everyone. It makes a much more manual switching behavior between "rooms". It will facilitate recording a pretty nice replay even if the player can't play. This will boost the number of replays available to be enjoyed by: 1.) Offering a way to record a replay almost completely AFK. 2.) The player is incentivized(sp) to do such because of the karma you get for submitting replays.

Please let me know what you guys think? I would be happy to write tutorials on how to do this with atleast my software (mainly corsair keyboard) but it is adaptable to some other key with something like AutoHK.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X