Captains AFK timer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captains AFK timer

Since I have some time and this just happened, figured it is worth starting a thread for it. After opting into a captains game, if you stand around too long, you may go "afk" and then be opted out of captains. It is really annoying when it happens.

This happens to me when I am watching the score board. I know that viewing the score board keeps you from going "AFK" for the balance mode, so is there a reason it does not do the same thing during captains? Is it possible to some the AFK timer for each player so they have a chance of moving before it is too late? (Maybe not play sound, but just show the countdown.

Thoughts?

Your concern remains despite this clarification: being AFK doesn't opt you out of Captains. Not until someone comes along and tries to opt in /while/ you're AFK does that opt-in operation opt you (AFK) out. That clarification is minutia until it's not.

Showing the scoreboard should always reliably prevent AFK. If we can reliably repro it NOT preventing AFK, that's an AFK defect we need to fix beyond the Captains scope.

The Captains Board (which visually resembles the scoreboard, but isn't) requires us to depress no key and does not prevent AFK. That's by design and won't be changing.

Non-ReadyRoom AFK warnings are accompanied by audible tones, but that hasn't typically happened in the Ready Room, as you're not threatened by AFK (AFK never kicks -- it just bumps to RR).

But only when opted into Captains, we /are/ threatened when AFK in the Ready Room, and so I really need -- when the player is opted into Captains -- to add warning tones when in the Ready Room and the game server is about to consider the player AFK. That way our ears can become consistently and reliably trained to those tones when AFK is in anyway threatening.

I'm initially receptive to showing the AFK timer/number/whatever on each player's HUD during Captains Night, but that's more clutter on an already busy HUD. My planned action items for preventing these avoidable opt-outs are: 1) verify that our anti-AFK behaviors reliably prevent AFK (someone help me with this) and 2) play AFK tones when almost AFK in the Ready Room while opted in to Captains.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Just happened to me - very disappointing. I don't have time for many captains rounds tonight and I missed this one. It's never happened to me before but it did this time.

Comment

This has happened to me before as well.

Comment

I've deployed the AFK tones to the "opted into Captains and sitting in Ready Room and AFK" scenario.

In that scenario, the following messaging and the descending tones will repeat every 15 seconds or so:

[AFK] AFK 60 seconds. Move to avoid risking Captains opt-out.
          [AFK] AFK 60 seconds. Someone else might take your Captains slot while you're AFK.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

At this point, I don't have pending dev action for this concern. I need folks to report defects regarding the previous post or defects in the game server considering us AFK when we're not (please repro specifics of this latter category a few times before reporting), and then we can address those individually.

Comment

yep this happens to me many times. I don't understand what you said wyz in the post above this one. Can't wait to see how the changes work out on Friday.

Thank you Wyz.

Comment

To explain my change another way: nothing about how AFK threatens our being opted out by another player has changed. All that's been added is visual and audio warnings that we're about to be considered AFK. That is: Captains AFK isn't any safer than it was before -- your own is merely more advertised to you, so you're better prepared to prevent it.

My "no pending dev action" comment is basically me saying three things:

1) These AFK warnings are the only "remedy" I presently have planned for anyone getting opted out after AFK during Captains

2) I'm not working on this. My response is finished for now, unless/until someone reports the following:

3) If the server is marking you AFK while you're pressing buttons or moving your mouse, reliably reproduce that and then report details as a defect so we can work through it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X