Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This server is notorious for badgering new players.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This server is notorious for badgering new players.

I am so angry at this server for the past few days. While I've only been playing here for maybe 3 weeks, already in multiple occasions I have seen similar situations to this:

- a new player with a question mark comes in and is doing something like dropping OCs in a location. He is just doing his own thing like everyone else in the beginnings of the game. A little later a hive goes down in under 10 seconds and everybody starts pointing fingers and lots of yelling. Then it comes to "NSplayer (or whoever), WHY ARE YOU PUTTING OCs THERE!

*pause*

THIS IS A TEAMWORK SERVER! YOU MUST RESPOND!

*pause*

respond or be kicked
    respond or be kicked

Reply: Sorry I didn't know (he's a slow typer or just new)

"well you have to say something because this is a teamwork server"

and much yelling and insulting ensues, and eventually the player quits.

While yes it is a teamwork server, people should not be listening to people who are badgering other players and being overly angry and cynical to everyone else (especially if they are not admins). This is strictly an admins job and I would hope most admins would be more reasonable and understanding before being flat out angry and rude.

- Earlier today I was playing from another computer on a friends steam account and I was chewing down RTs trying to do my part (I killed 4 in all while the team was defending a hive) Because I realize most of the team is doing a decent job defending the hive and we won't have a chance to beat them if we don't keep their res down, ESPECIALLY during an assault. So if I got a lot of their res down they would be devistated.

So what happens? As I'm almost done taking down the 4th RT I hear "WHAT ARE YOU DOING! I DON'T THINK HE KNOWS HOW TO PLAY THE GAME and various other mumblings". I get yelled at incessantly.

What's my point? While I do enjoy the greater emphasis on teamwork on the server, I do not enjoy the angry fingerpointing that goes on and "pseudo admins" that frequent the NS server. By pseudo admins I mean people that are NOT admins to the server but still police it like they are when there are none around and when questioned about it they get angry and respond "I'm just following the rules". Normally I wouldn't think anything of it except when then are extremely rude to people who havn't been doing anything really wrong. Besides even if somebody is being an idiot on the team and contributing nothing to everyone else, another member shouldn't be screaming at them and just calm down and get an admin.

I've just wanted to absoultely scream a number of times for the complete rudeness that goes on, and it even starts to rub off on me as well. And i'm not talking about the "yelling at your team to get to a hive under attack" as that's much different, but the negative complaining and insulting of other players.

So what's my point? Maybe make a rule about non-admins saying things like my first example, and instead make a rule to just go page an admin to do it, as it is their job and will probably be more respectful about it.
    Last edited by aeroripper; 12-19-2005, 01:48 AM.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: This server is notorious for badgering new players.

if you are talking about NS this should probably be put in the NS section...and if you have a problem you contact an admin from NS...dont come in the general forums and complain...no need...
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Sorry to hear that you've encountered some less than polite people on a TG server, aeroripper :( There's folks like that no matter where you go in life, unfortunately.

My suggestion for the next time you run in to such people is that you take down names and PM an admin for the game (I guess you were playing Natural Selection? You posted in the general section and TG hosts lots of games!) with your complaint rather than posting publically. That way, the admins can talk to the individuals in question and get their behavior changed.

I can assure you, however, that not everyone at TG behaves in the way you described. Some of us enjoy introducing new players to our games :)
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
      | for | |

Comment

I would advise taking the names of these players and PMing an admin with them and the details of what has occurred. I am sure that this will then get a quick response.

Comment

Players need to be on the same page at all times. You do not wait until the hive goes down/fade dies/marine start gets BB to death, or the PG gets chewed down before making sure everyone is working on the same level.

People need to take charge and manage team resources before hand, not after you lose an important resource. This goes for any game oriented around teamwork. Everyone needs to be communicating from the get-go, and those who aren't need to be taken care of before their actions or inactions can cause damage to the team.

Just as you don't put your seatbelt on after a carwreck, you don't start teamwork after a major loss.

Comment

Sorry about the section I think I clicked in the wrong one, but yes I'll keep that in mind to PM an admin. Usually everybody is pretty cool but occasionally its just not fun to play at all. Thanks :)
            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper
              Usually everybody is pretty cool but occasionally its just not fun to play at all.
              Then be "pretty cool" enough, occasionally, to PM an admin with the name of the player who's destroying your ability to enjoy yourself. That, above most else, is how you show the admins you give a damn about the server and the experience your peers have when they play on it.

Guys, give exceptions, admins don't remove a regular (kick, ban, whatever) just because they receive a single PM about him. If you see something you don't like, PM an admin. If you're the only person who didn't like it, your concern likely isn't much of a threat to the guy's ability to continue playing on the server. We're gonna contact the guy and work it out. But... if several folks (a handful, even) report the same problem, the change you so seek will likely be given you.

And it will happen quietly, which is how things should happen around here... not with public threads.

Starting a public thread with this tone is like cutting in line. There are other folks who require the assistance of the admins, and they took the time to PM us. Don't cut in line in front of those people. Send your PM and become part of the solution instead of delaying it by forcing us (the admins) to wade through threads like this.

<3 aero -- this problem arrived here (TG, not TGNS) long before you did.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X