SMs: set next game's spawn locations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMs: set next game's spawn locations

Supporting Members may execute sh_setspawns after any game to set the next game's spawn locations. The command is only allowed for 10 seconds following everyone's being dumped to the Ready Room after a game (which means you can't use it for any map's first game). Your selection is advertised regularly to all players until the next game begins -- everyone has equal visibility to which spawn locations have been announced for the next game.

This is not allowed before Captains games (nothing has changed there -- Team Choice Captain still sets spawns), and it's otherwise allowed only for the first SM who uses the command (no changing it once it's set by an SM).

I've changed nothing about how any of us accesses the command, so it's not that intuitive for the SM scenario: use the same old M > Captains menu, or use the client console.

If observation tells us I need to add throttles/limits/cooldowns of any kind, I can do that.

Feedback welcome. Please report defects.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Personally, I like the randomness of the spawns so I'm not crazy about this feature. Though I also realize it's not a huge game-changer. I haven't seen any issues with the mod though from using it yet.

Comment

Not a big fan either. With the announcement, marines know exactly where to pressure, instead of the delay of discovery.

Great code, but would prefer it not be used.

Comment

I'd think that "the attackers know better how to attack" would answer to "the defenders know better how to defend". Much like Round 2 of a Captains game, knowing the imminent spawn locations puts a fine point on pre-game strategic planning.

Certain starting spawn locations promote certain strategies and early game tactics better than other starting spawn locations, and I like the idea of Supporting Members having the freedom to subtly influence the frequency and timing of certain strategies and tactics -- both offensive and defensive -- they want in their gameplay and on their schedule.

Is that so harmful?

If it's great code, maybe my aforementioned throttles/limits/cooldowns would make it better. I was hoping to observe frequency first.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X