No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karma.

I really like the idea of Karma and I think it is a great way to rank and manage players on the server. One thing tho is that the "decay" feature is kind of unfair. I don't understand why we loose karma when we don't play the game, especially when trying to get access to the server is extremely difficult. I love playing on this NS server but i have a hard time playing and spend more time specing, and how can one get better at the game if all one does is watch and cant play. I know we receive Karma when we are spectating but maybe there can be some discussion on the "decay feature". Seems kind of unbalanced.

Thanks

KingPing
    Tags: None

I've doubled the Karma granted for spectating (applies moving forward, not retroactively). I had considered that increase in the past, and enacting that change helps the spirit of your struggle.

Otherwise, Karma is opinionated toward rewarding those who have actively and very recently contributed in ways which benefit regulars. The decay is harsh by design. Maybe I should do more to expose Karma-earning opportunities, because there are a lot.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

When I first began playing on TGNS a few months ago I also experienced getting bumped from some games. Here are some options in descending effectiveness, as well as some tips for earning karma.

1.) Supporting Membership (most effective)
      Provides immunity from being bumped, priority opt-in, and helps keep the server running. You won't be worrying about karma. Depending on how often you play the $/hr for entertainment is very low.

2.) Sign the Primer
      Provides a little bit of protection from bumping, but won't make a huge difference. This will give you priority over people who have not signed. However, new players are immune from bumps for the first 10 (?) games.

3.) Earn Karma
      I would focus on seeding and replay. Seeding alone will likely counter the decay each day. Vouching and Voting add up, so do these all the time. When spectating use the SpecBets feature, this will increase the karma gain while spectating.

Seeding Games (20). Join the server when there are only a few people on. Once it fills up you will receive 20 karma. Playing bots (get all players to ready room, m -> admin -> sh_bots) or the ns2_tgns_arclight map (king of the hill) are good ways of filling up the server.

Replay Participation (3). Recording and uploading awards 3 karma per game. I followed this guide to set it up without too much trouble.

Swap Feature (15). Accepting a swap that results in a good game awards 15 karma. I'm not sure if the player proposing the swap also receives this? I think so. Example use (in chat) "swap kingp bert?"

Captain's Night Punctuality (10). Showing up to captain's night on time (before 8 central) awards 10 karma.
      Captain's Games (2). Completing each round awards 2 karma. Spectating for a map will give you priority opt-in for the next map.
      Being a Captain (5). Everyone is welcome to be a captain during captain's night, give it a try! If you are not familiar with some of the players that is ok. The list of players is sorted by 'skill' so work down the list. Look out for players with crosshair icons as it indicates a high k/d ratio. Don't pick Rad first (seriously, ask him).

Spectating when Full (2). Doubling this would award 2 karma now?
      Spec Bets (0.5). Each completed spec bet awards 0.5. Allows you to earn extra karma while spectating. Example use (in team chat) "bet kingp bert 200"

Commanding (4?). If you are confident commanding this will award extra karma. It not, watch some replays and you will get the hang of it.
      Regular Game (1). Completing each regular game awards 1 karma.
      Vouching Voicecomm (1). Confirm that new players can hear, then click the vouch button by their name.
      Map Vote (0.5). Participate in these every time.

4.) Quickly Join a Team
      Join a team before someone uses the balance feature. The balance feature will not bump you, you will remain on the team unless another player actively bumps. Many members choose to wait for a spot instead of bumping. You may remain on the team even if the server is busy, but no guarantees.

The above are from my observations over the past few months, so there could be mistakes. Let me know if you notice any.

Bert

Comment

That is a delicious writeup. Thank you.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Any particular reason why I get "decay" penalties after merely 6 hours of inactivity? Recently my Karma was reduced by 12 points at 6:12 AM in spite of the fact that I left the server at 12:43 AM on the same day. By that logic, I can get a "decay" penalty at 6:12 AM even if I leave the server at 5:00 AM for example. That's quite ridiculous I must say.

Comment

Decay occurs on a fixed schedule once per 24 hours.

Comment

Then truth be told, that's a flawed system. The "decay" penalty seems to be guided by its own arbitrary schedule with total disregard for user activity or lack thereof, when in fairness it should reduce Karma only after 24 hours of user inactivity.

Comment

I think the point was that it would limit Karma accrual to a bit of a realistic cap so as to not allow hoarding. That's not flawed, that's balanced. If you wanted to have it more... fair? You could have it do so once every hour the user is inactive, but that would be heavier load on the process and I can't see this gaining the community anything.

Simpler is better, always, and frankly the Karma isn't supposed to be a currency.

Decay will also happen if you're on the server at the time, mind you, so it's not like anyone is escaping this.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X