Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moar observatories!!1

Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

This will sound narcissistic and let's just say that it is. But I've famously carved out a niche for myself with bull**** tunnel hijinks and I've gotten real good at it, and the entire time, I've always -wanted- to be discovered. I -shouldn't- be able to open a tunnel in the base because the base should be saturated in intel, moreso than any other point on the map.

What I love about this game is how much of it exists not on the server, but in the shared (slash often not shared) headspace of the players. The thing that makes this game 2,000 hours addicting is that it's a game about tricking people with the information in their head and in your head and then incidentally, off to the side, it's also a game about space and aliens and bullets and keyboard and mice and network protocols. But it's primarily a game about -who knows what what when- and I love it so much and it makes me furious.

When I first started just plowing through the tunnel stuff, night after night, bull**** tunnel after tunnel, and Wyz - You would make comments like "I choose not to play that way" .

And I respect that, each one of us has our own model of what the mind game is "supposed" to be here, which is, in and of itself, another thing that makes the game great. What we actually are able to intellectualize is that there is no one true "supposed" and it doesn't matter what the developer intended or what the spirit of the game is. We have the game pieces and the game board, and we're each free to get hung up on whatever we see fit.

For me, it's this concept of warring with information, with intel. And in game terms that translates to observatories and drifters. I'm probably also notorious for using a lot of drifters and patrolling them. That tactic and the tunnel bull**** come from the same motivation. I need to know as much as possible, and I need to punish you for not knowing something.

The way I think the game should be played involves a LOT more drifters and observatories than most matches have.

I'm terrible at action games, I'm very bad at FPS. After 2000 hours I can barely maintain a 1:1 ratio when I'm on the field trying to kill junk and not get killed. That's why I always gorge or com, I'm so bad at everything else.

I think I'm good at information games. Spy games.

I'm not trying to say I have evolved the game but I will say that I would like to evolve the game, to be more about observatories, and seeing all these dead observatories warms my heart.

I will note that "this game" is only possible on this server, Wyz. The game I'm romanticizing exists only on the space you made where energy is consistently put into a culture of communication. You can't play spy games when people aren't even talking to each other. I've tried, it's awful. So thanks! And you're welcome!

Comment

Hah, it has been over a year since I posted this: https://www.tacticalgamer.com/forum/...-commander-was

Samn, it is so much fun playing with or against you, thanks to your unique strategies. There are games when I have to watch the kills roll in and if your name doesn't show up every minute or so then the paranoia begins to set in, and I have to drop what I am doing and go on the Samn Hunt. Because no other marine commander is going to consistently have all the corners watched like you would.

And we can just forget about sneaking a gate when you are Khamm.

Originally posted by Samn View Post
      I will note that "this game" is only possible on this server, Wyz. The game I'm romanticizing exists only on the space you made where energy is consistently put into a culture of communication. You can't play spy games when people aren't even talking to each other. I've tried, it's awful. So thanks! And you're welcome!
      Yes, TGNS has spoiled me too. It is so rare in any other game to stumble into a team that communicates like we do here.

Comment

One day I'm going to play another title, and it's going to be so. damn. easy.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

We really are spoiled on this server. I was playing on a server that shall remain nameless 2 days ago, and could not hit a marine to save my life. I knew it wasn't me, I had a marine cornered and physically could not bite him. Switch to marines and I'm going 39-4. The registration was awful. But that wasn't the worst of it, no. The worst was not having any real communication or coordination with other players. The ones that were speaking each had their plans, and the rest of the people were either silent or doing there own thing. There was no "I am the commander, do as I say" "momentum" to fuel teamwork. It was a mess of "This player is hacking" or "Listen to me you F&$*!". Awful. Awful. Awful.
          HaX^

Comment

Originally posted by HaX^ View Post
            We really are spoiled on this server. I was playing on a server that shall remain nameless 2 days ago, and could not hit a marine to save my life. I knew it wasn't me, I had a marine cornered and physically could not bite him. Switch to marines and I'm going 39-4. The registration was awful. But that wasn't the worst of it, no. The worst was not having any real communication or coordination with other players. The ones that were speaking each had their plans, and the rest of the people were either silent or doing there own thing. There was no "I am the commander, do as I say" "momentum" to fuel teamwork. It was a mess of "This player is hacking" or "Listen to me you F&$*!". Awful. Awful. Awful.
            I pretty much agree. I would like to add that our oft-praised experience of playing on TGNS is brought about more by a certain combination of players than the rules/mods on the server itself. The former is what makes me go back to the server regularly. Not to ruin the spirit of the thread or anything, but I have had my own share of awfully bad games on TGNS that reminded me of my experience on other servers. I think it's the players (and on top of whom, Wyzcrak) more than anything else who make TGNS what it is to many of us here.

Comment

Now with the alien commander's view! Note, it seems to default to one of the lower resolutions.
              http://rr.tacticalgamer.com/Replay/W...nds=1489899554

Been working though a huge back log (60+ gig), almost up to the present.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X