Extra to marines?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra to marines?

For those of you who played with us during NS1 you'll know there was a server rule that gave the extra player to the marines. At the time this logic was because aliens did not require a commander. I realize that is no longer the case but what do you think of the marines having the extra now in ns2? as the marine commander is nearly required to stay in at all times because of medpacks, etc. while it is much easier for the alien commander to jump in and out of the hive throughout the gameplay, especially in the beginning of the game?

Thoughts?

edit: consider early games especially. 6v5, and so. aliens are able to cover the map much easier than marines

I've long wanted this. What nuances would the implementation logic require? Any?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think this would be good, but only before the game starts, so that if there are imbalances, we don't end up with one team with more players and more skilled players rocking the other team, and the teams can still be somewhat balanced during gametime if required. We might also want to disable it during captains night.
      HaX^

Comment

Consider the gorge, who automatically presents a combat penalty for the alien team, unless it's called Sargon or Samn which is not always the case needless to say. Add the extra player to marines and things get worse for the opposition who are already one skulk down in practical terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Sargon View Post
          Consider the gorge, who automatically presents a combat penalty for the alien team, unless it's called Sargon or Samn which is not always the case needless to say. Add the extra player to marines and things get worse for the opposition who are already one skulk down in practical terms.
          There are definitely arguments against the idea. But also too many people see the gorge as a role that just sits in nano and hangs out when really he is a mobile crag, which is huge to keep skulks on the front of the lanes, assuming they properly hit/run. Yes, not everyone plays that way. The other point that was often made for this is that aliens are much faster and can cover the map more efficiently than marines can and the extra body can help with that.

Comment

I imagine that people will have pretty polarized views on this topic. Just think about it this week as you play on the server and then come back here to make any comments.

Comment

Originally posted by jack^ View Post
              aliens are much faster and can cover the map more efficiently than marines
              For me, this is a very compelling argument in support of Marines getting the extra player.

Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

If you give Marines an extra player, I would think that gorge tunnels having 150% health would be a good compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by smiley View Post
                  If you give Marines an extra player, I would think that gorge tunnels having 150% health would be a good compromise.
                  Only when the marines are up a player? The player caps stays at 16 players (8v8) this is just a suggestion when there is an odd number of players on the game server.

Comment

I can see enforcing this rule for games with less than 13 players for sure. More than that, I can see it requiring more nuances like the one smiley suggests, which can get complicated. Also, I've rarely seen games played out with 13 or 15 players that don't fill up quickly (admittedly, my sampling of games is probably off).
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X