highlight alien as marine comm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• highlight alien as marine comm

I think it is worth discussing whether a mod could be developed that would allow a marine commander to specifically highlight a lifeform (I'm thinking Onos) so that marines who are in the area could be alerted to that lifeform and concentrate all their firepower on that lifeform. Maybe give it a duration and a radius so that its not OP. Maybe while the alien is on creep it doesn't work, or if there are any structures nearby, it doesn't work. I'm not sure what the final specifics would be, but I really do think this is something Marines could benefit from. Maybe give gorge tunnels 200% to counter. :D

Originally posted by smiley View Post
    Maybe give gorge tunnels 200% to counter. :D
    The true purpose of this mod is revealed!

Comment

I think not limiting this to lifeforms/marines would be good. Structures/Power Nodes would be awesome too. Basically a ping, but also with the ability to follow marines/lifeforms as they move.
      HaX^

Comment

Originally posted by Brian_NS2 View Post

Guilty as charged!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian_NS2 View Post

But still, highlighting enemies as commander could be useful, and help prevent the endgame onos onslaught from being OP

Comment

I assume this thread was based off something I said when I was commanding on Veil. At the time it sounded reasonable, however, this is a game-play changing ability so we need to be careful how it would be implemented to keep the game close to vanilla. I would only consider adding it if it is clear that marines need a very minor buff (i.e. if win/lose ratios favor aliens slightly on our server).

In the beginning at the very least, if implemented, the highlight should not allow marines to track better. That is, it cannot add glow that would help marines track in the dark or show graphics outside of model you can see around corners. However, with these restrictions it might actually make it useless.

Alternatively, if we make it more noticeable, I would envision this as an ability that is tied to a scan from an observatory. That is, commanders can only highlight a target after a scan/observatory (and make it only last for the duration/range of the scan/observatory). It would make this ability cost res to perform when used offensively and wouldn't cause unfair tracking because they are already revealed by the scan. Under this implementation I would make the symbol for tracking a slightly different in shape and colour than the normal circle thingy, and maybe make the lifeform a different colour on the minimap.

If it proves too powerful:
            - We could add some sort of indication for the alien player that they have been targeted. I like this because I think it would also add a psychological aspect that would have some tactical implications (e.g. "Don't target Origami, even though I'm going to mark him, I want him to run away in fear, so don't waste ammo"). Also, you could use it to mess with people which would be kind of funny.
            - We could add a significant cool-down to the ability
            - We could make it cost 1 res to perform (I don't like this much as it will greatly limit its use)
            Last edited by OrigamiPaper; 04-04-2017, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OrigamiPaper View Post
              I assume this thread was based off something I said when I was commanding on Veil. At the time it sounded reasonable, however, this is a game-play changing ability so we need to be careful how it would be implemented to keep the game close to vanilla. I would only consider adding it if it is clear that marines need a very minor buff (i.e. if win/lose ratios favor aliens slightly on our server).

In the beginning at the very least, if implemented, the highlight should not allow marines to track better. That is, it cannot add glow that would help marines track in the dark or show graphics outside of model you can see around corners. However, with these restrictions it might actually make it useless.

Alternatively, if we make it more noticeable, I would envision this as an ability that is tied to a scan from an observatory. That is, commanders can only highlight a target after a scan/observatory (and make it only last for the duration/range of the scan/observatory). It would make this ability cost res to perform when used offensively and wouldn't cause unfair tracking because they are already revealed by the scan. Under this implementation I would make the symbol for tracking a slightly different in shape and colour than the normal circle thingy, and maybe make the lifeform a different colour on the minimap.

If it proves too powerful:
              - We could add some sort of indication for the alien player that they have been targeted. I like this because I think it would also add a psychological aspect that would have some tactical implications (e.g. "Don't target Origami, even though I'm going to mark him, I want him to run away in fear, so don't waste ammo"). Also, you could use it to mess with people which would be kind of funny.
              - We could add a significant cool-down to the ability
              - We could make it cost 1 res to perform (I don't like this much as it will greatly limit its use)
              Yes, these are all great things to keep in mind. We also have to keep in mind that someone has to actually program this - it is not clear to me how difficult this would be.

Comment

so waypoints / targets to place on aliens? The same thing should be available for aliens then.. focus a specific exo or building.

Comment

While we are doing the whole "wish list" for this, maybe make it only available during captains matches.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X