No announcement yet.

experiment: welders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's great that we're taking baby steps with this. There are several variables at play and its best to change just one at a time

Comment

During several games tonight, wherein every Marine had a welder, I felt like I was much more rewarded for my medding. Large battles wherein Marines fared much better than normal. Positions where a bit easier to hold. Games felt a bit longer, and generally balanced enough, and I generally liked how things felt.

Marines /automatically/ getting welders is an unintuitive departure from what the game has taught us to expect. rad recommended that the Armory instead drop free welders on the ground nearby, and I've transitioned the code to that behavior (it's deployed) -- only armories near Infantry Portals, and at the moment of player spawn (this might need to change, too, but dropping the welder at any other moment has design repercussions I think I might not like...).

When Marines spawn, they'll see the welders on the ground nearby (no drop expiration, but concurrent max of 3) on the ground, available for pickup if they so choose.

I'm actually quite challenged by designing the precise /location/ of the automatically dropped welders. So far, it's somewhere on the path between the IP and the Armory, but that gets complicated by several variables, including multiple IPs. So that might need further revisions if we don't hate the auto-drop premise entirely after experiencing it.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

This has not appreciably changed W/L rates, but it has improved gameplay. Short of significantly broad objection, I intend to leave it on the game server.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Even in the context of 316's rebalancing, I think this is still working well. We were discussing the new balance feel in between matches last night during Captains, and the consensus seemed to be that the free welders should stay, as it encourages teamwork.

Comment

Reading some of the posts in this thread, particularly this one:
            Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
            only armories near Infantry Portals, and at the moment of player spawn
            Does that mean an armory not only need to be in the same room as the spawning IP, it also needs to be within a certain distance as well to drop welders? I ask because last night the armory was in the same room as Marines' IPs, but didn't drop welders the entire game, and we were confused.

This is that game, at a time where I fly around to show no welders despite the presence of an armory in the room. I did notice that I've never seen an armory that far from IPs before, so my assumption was that the distance may be the issue. Just wanted to confirm if that was the case.

Also on the topic of free welders but unrelated to the above question: on Caged I notice that welders sometimes fall underneath the floor. I haven't noticed it on other maps, and there still are usually enough welders that it doesn't matter, but thought it worth noting just in case it becomes an issue.

Comment

The code looks for an armory in the same named location, without care for distance. My best guess is a terrible one: that the pathing code which looks for a location to drop the welders failed.

If this (or the under-the-floor problem) happens with any significant frequency, I'll need to add some diagnostic/logging code to investigate.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X