experiment: chair power nodes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• experiment: chair power nodes

Power nodes in the same location as constructed Command Chairs now get a 50% boost to max armor. Also, dropping a chair blueprints the power node.

The purpose of the change is to slightly lessen the frequency of base rushes, which some argue just aren't fun for either team.

I've deployed this to the game server. Feedback welcome.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

..which some argue just aren't fun for either team..

Not played for a few months, is co-ordinated base rushing still a valid tactic?

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Certainly. And, as those rushes have always been conditionally effective, this change minorly alters those conditions.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

So i was thinking about this. Can we have the arms lab powered for 5 seconds after a power goes down. I feel like on 8v8 if you get the power down the aliens are clearing the room with marines having weapons 0 and armor 0. Instead, keeping the arms lab powered for a few seconds gives them at least a short time to push them back. Or give them a reason to retreat and protect their lifeforms and attack other things. The point of power node pushes shouldn't be to end all. But to use it as a distraction to take other rooms on the map. This change wouldn't give them time tochase an onos since the arms lab would power down if they didn't get the power node up. I feel like that might be a big change. But increasing the power node health shouldn't be the only solution to consider.
        Last edited by VMAN; 09-05-2017, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Hrm....

Comment

How about, once you research weapons and armor 1, even with the arms lab destroyed, you at the very minimum will retain armor and weapons 1? Might be a good compromise.

Comment

Simpler solution might be to reduce the cool down of power surge. Also, how long does power surge last?

Comment

These are all interesting ideas but I think we need to be careful about how liberal we get with changing game mechanics. Especially because there are people who don't know about these changes (guests)

Comment

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I think the preceding arguments are all predicated on the fact that critical marine upgrades rely on the existence of one structure. As much as that is a weakness, I think it's also a strength. Consider how easy it is to create redundancy.

Although I don't yet have much commanding experience, it seems to me that the late game threat is largely mitigated by building a 2nd arms lab. I understand there are costs associated with a 2nd arms lab, but hopefully a marine team is in a position to build or has already built a backup structure by the time there are onos (oni?) on the board.

Comment

Amazing game that did a fine job of showcasing the satisfactory timing of slightly more resilient tech point power nodes:

http://rr.tacticalgamer.com/Replay/W...nds=1504936541

Comment

After more thought, and considering the shared consideration that jack voiced, I'll not keep the AL online after a power outage (VMan) or unconditionally retain W1/A1 (smiley). That's not to say we can't continue to iterate on this, if folks feel it's necessary, but rather that our current revision doesn't seem improved by either of those exact suggestions.

Comment

I can't say that I'm very crazy about these two changes (I know you mentioned it would be one or the other), and while I may make an argument against them in a later post that's not what I want to get at right now.

These experiments are becoming more and more frequent. At one point in time, tgns made sure to stay away from modifying the game mechanics directly and only implemented changes to the game that fit with tgns' style, etc.

Now, I'm not completely against modifying the game. It can lead to more interesting gameplay, and sometimes these changes make it to stock NS2. However, I am suggesting that we create a structure in which to modify the game. Otherwise, everyone is gonna come here and ask to change something that they personally don't like (ok, maybe a little bit of a hyperbole). Now that I've written this much, I realize that this should be a separate thread and will start that. to continue this discussion.

edit: see https://www.tacticalgamer.com/forum/...ns-experiments

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X