Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off topic: humble brag. Mostly just brag.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off topic: humble brag. Mostly just brag.

Finally ordered new compute parts, most parts will be in this Thursday!

i7-7700k
    gtx 1070 founders edition
    16gb 3000 ddr4
    500gb ssd
    z270e strix mb
    pg279q ips 27"
    etc etc

my kd ratio is gonna improve right?

Yes and No. Your framerate should improve which should lead to improved reaction times and ability to see what the heck is going on, but your kd ratio will only improve if you use this intel well.

Comment

Don't listen to him. I've purchased skill before. It's going to change your life. Men will fear you, and gods will spectate to avoid your indiscriminate tactical wrath.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Nice i just built a new one in june. Your monitor is a beast btw. Thing that helped me was the refresh rate on themonitor

Comment

Congrats, man. :) It seems like the ideal rig for NS2, particularly the CPU and G-Sync. Overclocking the CPU should provide a great boost for a more stable late game frame rate.

If you're serious about improving yourself as a grunt, you could go the extra mile with a proven optical gaming mouse and a nice, big cloth mouse pad depending on what your sensitivity is. If you don't already have a good mouse, I'd read a bunch of reviews on forums like overclock.net, comparing mouse shapes, sensors, weight, etc. I'm a fan of the DeathAdder's shape, but the relatively heavy weight and its (in my experience) high malfunction rate made me buy a G403 instead, which is my favorite mouse so far. You might need to try multiple mice before settling on one you're happy with.

I think your improvement will depend on how much worse your current rig is. Back in beta, I immediately noticed the benefits of better hardware when upgrading from an ancient Opteron 165 rig and a monitor with substantial motion blur. Higher frame rate + lower input latency + G-Sync/FreeSync is a recipe for success in games like NS2. Once you have good hardware, it unlocks the potential for your mechanical skill. All that's left is to possibly reconsider your in-game settings such as sensitivity, graphics settings, and mods. Then you're free to simply grind out experience in order to become as good a player as you can be.

The disadvantage with this type of rig is if you're into video editing, 3D rendering, etc. If you don't do these things often, then you're golden.

Comment

Wyzcrak You already had the skill and knowledge. You were merely being held back by your equipment.

That said a good gaming mouse and keyboard will increase skill as it removes a lot of delay for performing actions
            Last edited by Twiglingen; 09-11-2017, 06:49 PM. Reason: adding a thing

Comment

Well, yeah. Duh. I'm only like... $1500 away from being #1 in the world.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Congratulations, that's a fine machine. I'm planning to build a new rig myself with a GTX 1070 but I'm waiting for the upcoming six-core i5 which should be here in a month or two. A powerful machine will surely improve your experience in NS2, and good thing you're not suffering from an orange ping. My weak connection has seriously limited my potential to improve in the game despite my high FPS and my excellent mouse, not to mention the inconvenience it causes for others.

Have fun assembling that PC, it's the best part.

Comment

I dont know what nominous is sayin about disadvantages for video editing or 3d rendering. That comp should be a beast in those things. Although more cores would certainely help. As someone who usually builds around intel chipsets i took the risk of buying a ryzen after it released in may. I couldnt be happier with the price to performance ratio. It lags aboud 10% in single core performance against i5 or i7 but blows both out of the water in multitasking performance. Plus i can overclock it to 4.0. Any performance loss is moot since you are alreay hitting well above 150fps so if intel does like 165 whats the difference in terms of you noticing. The 100 dollars saved could be used for a nice gaming keyboard. Also more games will optimize for more cores and threads in the future. Before ryzen i would never consider amd but with their last launch for people building around the $1300 range i would advice it. Intel really got thrown through the loop after amds last launch.

Comment

I was tempted to buy Ryzen 5 until I read some unpleasant things about the Ryzen line in general. Platform issues and a widespread manufacturing defect in CPU's made before June. Not to mention the single-core performance inferiority. Best thing about those processors is the price and the fact that the stock cooler is great. But I'd rather wait for Intel's six-core i5.

Comment

Yea that is kind of misinformation in the early days.
                      People expected a brand new chipset to work with new motherboards and bios right from the get go. I knew going into it thatd be the case. Those people then started thinking it was a manufacture defect because they didnt understand. People bulding for the first time didnt understand that the programming has to reach the hardware. AMD went pretty fast on getting those things worked out. Id say it took a month by July. Now it runs flawless. It will probably improve more maybe even closing the single core gap. But still moot cause the price vs performance is unmatched. And realistically when you are already getting really high fps. I dont care too much on small differences in the high fps range. Id rather save some money and invest it into a mouse or keyboard. Love Intel but for people sceptical give AmMD a shot you wont regret it neither will your wallet. Intel has to do a lot on thinking on how it introduces its new line and where to set their price. The days of intel outright supremacy is gone.

Comment

Oh wow, lots of responses! Didn't expect that.

I guess I'll lay out the rest of the hardware since its been brought up:
                        Corsair Gaming STRAFE MX Silent Mechanical Keyboard, Backlit Red LED, Cherry MX Silent
                        Corsair Gaming M65 Pro RGB FPS Gaming Mouse, Backlit RGB LED, 12000 DPI, Optical
                        Noctua NH-D15 6 heatpipe with Dual NF-A15 140mm fans
                        Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4 24000) C15 Memory
                        be quiet! BGW02 Silent Base 800 Window -Black
                        be quiet! dark power pro 11 750W platinum
                        windows 10 home

My old system :
                        iMac mid-2011 (12,2)
                        Sandy Bridge i7-2600 3.4Ghz
                        16gb RAM
                        2GB 6970M Radeon
                        27 inch IPS panel with 5ms response time
                        logitech performance MX mouse
                        apple wireless keyboard

So my question is.... do I need to do some kind of thermal paste replacement? And does any of this equipment come with a display port cable?

Comment

I use thermal grizzly. Your cooler will come with stock paste which is generally pretty good. I find though they often put too much on. I usually wipe it off and pur a dab of thermal grizzly on. Usually your monitor will come with at least one cable. For me it was DVI. DVI the same as display port in terms of persformance. Look whats inc in your monitor and what ports you have on your 1070

Comment

Yeah, multi-core performance is what I was referring to as a disadvantage, VMan, although I didn't mention Ryzen directly. The Ryzen 1700X and the i7-7700k are both around $300 atm, although the 1700X is slightly more expensive now. The 1700X is about 26% faster in 3D rendering than the i7-7700k. It doesn't seem like much, but it's a big difference the longer you need to render. Ofc it has disadvantages like slower viewport performance in 3D modeling applications compared to enthusiast Intel CPUs.

Video editing software seems to be a toss-up between the two depending on the task, but the Ryzen seems to be the winner in processes involving multiple threads. Ryzen 7, 5, etc. will only get cheaper once Threadripper arrives, which is great. I'm just glad to see Intel finally getting some competition in the multi-core department. It's a win-win for consumers. :)

Comment

Yea i was comparing the 1600 to 6600k. And 1700 to 7700k. The X class i wouldnt recommend for price since they are lacking in the wraith stock cooler. And the x only minimally overclocks better than the non x. The thing is ryzen is stilll optimizing so those benchmarks will get better for them. Any competition to intel and nvidia for consumers is good. Although Amd is preey far off of from Nvidia especially in the driver optimization category.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X