Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off topic: humble brag. Mostly just brag.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats! High refresh rates are great for games. I recently lost my 144hz refresh rate when I swapped out my gaming monitor for a 43 inch 4K @ 60hz monitor, though. I decided more screen space is better 97% of the time I'm at the computer. My NS2 performance had already been suffering for months due to neglect, so I didn't really notice a performance drop from going back to 60hz.

The one thing I wonder about is what does the $200 motherboard get you that a ~$100 board does not? Do they overclock better or something? I've always been a ~$100 motherboard kind of guy and I always feel like I might be missing something but I can't put my finger on it.

Comment

I specifically wanted to overclock and also wanted on board wifi with the 802.11AC standard. I definitely could have spent less.

Comment

$200 dollar boards maybe have better VRMs for overclocking('better" heatsinks on them and more phases). So you can reach stable voltage for your cpu. Although 100 range definitely should guarantee good vrms for overclocking. I would bet the 200 dollar motherboards comes with SLI support and probably more pci-e slots,SATA ports and 2 M.2 ports. SLI is moot cause most developer don't care to optimize and also of micro stuttering. I tend to stick to a 100 boards cause i will just buy a new one with my new cpu which will prolly be on a new port in about 4 years time.

From my experience onboard WiFi is usually pretty bad. Hence i always buy one with several antenna's or one with an antenna i can sit on top of my PC. This is why most MOBOs don't come with it. Obv ethernet is best but i don't have the option. I bought this https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-PCI-E...archer+9e+pci/.

Comment

Originally posted by VMAN View Post
          Yea that is kind of misinformation in the early days.
          People expected a brand new chipset to work with new motherboards and bios right from the get go. I knew going into it thatd be the case. Those people then started thinking it was a manufacture defect because they didnt understand. People bulding for the first time didnt understand that the programming has to reach the hardware. AMD went pretty fast on getting those things worked out. Id say it took a month by July. Now it runs flawless. It will probably improve more maybe even closing the single core gap. But still moot cause the price vs performance is unmatched. And realistically when you are already getting really high fps. I dont care too much on small differences in the high fps range. Id rather save some money and invest it into a mouse or keyboard. Love Intel but for people sceptical give AmMD a shot you wont regret it neither will your wallet. Intel has to do a lot on thinking on how it introduces its new line and where to set their price. The days of intel outright supremacy is gone.
          The upcoming i5 is shaping up to be a disappointment. It won't have hyper-threading, will be offered at more than $260, and most likely will come with a substandard stock cooler.

Ryzen 5 1600 it is then.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X