Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Friends,

All good things come to an end, and it's time for me to begin and resume my other interests which have been very patient. After careful consideration, I've notified Tactical Gamer leadership that TGNS will be concluding after Captains Night on Friday, Oct 13. Administration and essential modding will continue uninterrupted until then.

Tactical Gamer launched TGNS 15 years ago. An enthusiastic band of regulars eager to work together and treat each other well quickly established a special culture that we've enjoyed ever since. Thank you to everyone who enabled a delicious balance of camaraderie and competition. Thank you for collectively cultivating the joy so many of us have enjoyed as players.

Including everything on and off our NS1 and NS2 game servers, TGNS is one of the neatest technical projects I've ever driven, and I thank you all for your patience as it grew through the years. I so appreciate everyone's design input and honest critiques -- your enthusiastic participation helped a great deal whenever customizing felt more like work than play. Thank you for providing the encouragement and motivation I needed as a modder.

Many TGNS admins have so often contributed critical support, counsel, and direction to me, each other, and sundry regulars during our time together. It has been thane and Brian most recently, but community vets will fondly recall many other great admins throughout the years. aeroripper additionally contributed the imagery for our game server badges, banners, and icons, and they've been just wonderful. Thank you for supporting and trusting our many admins.

Supporting Members: thank you for enabling TG to support us all so well. You never got enough praise -- so many benefited from your selflessness.

All of the contributions above stand on the shoulders of Tactical Gamer's seasoned site administrators and their soundly managed infrastructure and founding principles of mature, organized play. If you enjoyed the social and teamwork fruit of TGNS, please understand that TG is both the root system and trunk of the tree from which it fell. Please support TG as you're able, monetarily or otherwise. Thank you for promoting community.

Thank you all so very much, for everything. Thanks to you, it has been my pleasure. :)
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

The Lua and other assets of the TGNS mod remain available to anyone looking to emulate our customizations elsewhere:

https://github.com/lancehilliard/TGNS

The repo is yours to take and use. The TG name is not -- re-brand appropriately.

The source of the TGNS Portal, on which TGNS mod rarely depends, is not available publicly.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Let me start by thanking you Wyz for all that you have done. However what needs to be done to stop TGNS from shutting down? I don't want to lose the community we have here, the gameplay we have here, if at all possible.

Comment

Again, thanks for all the great work Wyz, Brian, and Thane. I've had many memorable rounds over the years with a lot of new and old regulars, especially on Captain's nights. I have to say that playing NS/NS2 on TGNS were by far my best online gaming experiences, due in no small part to the efforts of the administrative team and all the nice regulars that frequent the server. I'll definitely have to pop in for a few final rounds with the game before the server closes down next month.
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Twiglingen View Post
          what needs to be done
          Several concerns must be actively -- daily, really -- managed and coordinated for a niche like TGNS to thrive.

Actually enforcing remarkable boundaries for "strangers" on the Internet in such a way that doesn't repel the entirety of the Internet itself is a remarkable skill if I do say so myself. Making and testing thousands of changes to a mod codebase is itself no small feat, and it's even more difficult if you inherited that codebase from someone else. Then come the "easier" tasks of managing rules and policy and sundry documentation, teams of admins and a larger community beyond that, and then drama and misinformations which inevitably result from your efforts, to say nothing of the server operator and political responsibilities necessary to keep something like this healthy and true to form -- all of which is hard enough if you are absolutely in charge of defining your offering, which is not ultimately the case with Tactical Gamer, wherein you answer to higher powers, even if it doesn't seem that way to folks consuming your offering. If TGNS were to continue as we enough know it for any appreciable amount of time, all of that would have to happen with at least the same consistency and quality it has in the past.

And here's the kicker, for me: Most don't want that kind of time commitment and burden for themselves, and most that do don't realize how much they misunderstand what they're asking for, and I'm just not inclined to work through that right now with anyone's best intentions and try to transition TGNS to a new caretaker. If the NS franchise had years of great games ahead of it, I might consider it. But, as it stands, now seems as good a time as ever to call it a job well done.

Comment

Sad but understandable.

Comment

Thank you very much Wyzcrak and all the admins of TGNS for managing the greatest server of NS2. I sometimes try to imagine how difficult the task is, and as a programming student I especially appreciate Wyz's coding feats. The efforts and skill are admirable and understandably demanding.

Many thanks to the excellent community of friends and regulars too, without whom the server would have arguably been a ghost town. I can easily say that playing here has been my most pleasant online gaming experience and will be the most memorable, and that says a lot.

I'll be present in the grand finale on October 13. Don't miss the event!

Comment

Got to be honest this is heart breaking to see the greatest NS2 server shut down after so long. So many hours playing NS2 and nothing best captures the true essence of the game than TGNS. I thank you and thank you again Wyzcrak for being the architect of that experience. And to you Admins and fellow primers. I hope TGNS might inspire someone else to take the mantel of responsibility and make a server similar to it.

So Wyz what is next for you? Are you still going to play NS2?

Comment

I wish to write here about everything TGNS has done so selflessly for me, but alas I can only write so much in my grief. And it truly is with a heart filled with grief that I write these words in this post.

To preface I want to talk about who I am. I am a college student studying biology and dabbling in writing. If you're looking for computer science, you won't find it anywhere in my expertise. I neither have large amounts of time, money, or energy to contribute to the incredible server that has kept my nights alive and fun despite the hardships that college life has thrown at me. From organic chemistry to job searches gone wrong to my health problems that plagued me for 19 years, the major factor that remained unwavering as my sanctuary when times got tough was TGNS. I wanted to thank the people who made it possible for me to stumble in the door four years ago, and come back as a guest over and over, later as a primer, and now as someone who I hope has helped create good memories. I was able to watch with pleasure as people like twiglingen showed up early in their careers and began to find the joy of playing natural selection 2 while learning with people who were at a much higher skill level. It's a point of TGNS pride that people rapidly reach the point of greatness. We seem to incubate players of all skill levels by the strong teamwork, focus on improving, and forgiving community that makes TGNS what it is. I played 400 hours of NS2 before finding TGNS by accident, and once Wyz roped me in by telling me to click the heart icon in the top of my server browser, most of the next 900 hours of my play time was centered almost exclusively on TGNS, where I rapidly became a far better gamer in terms of skill and in terms of communication. TGNS made me feel like I was a part of it, and I did my best to give back by seeding night after night while I had time and helping new people find their way back. I never forgot how small my part was compared to the whale's share of work that hung over Wyzcrak every day. I want to thank Wyzcrak, all the admins past and present, and all the people that worked tirelessly on computer code and management that I donít understand and may never understand. I want to thank every primer like myself who showed up, played hard, and grew as gamers alongside me. It takes a lot sometimes to put up with my terrible internal laptop mic , especially when Iím giving frantic orders while my apartment mates are partying in the background on captainís night. I finally want to thank TG as a whole for giving Wyz the platform to host this incredible server run by incredible people, and without them none of this would be possible.

On the verge of tears I give my goodbyes to the server that made my gaming experience better than it ever had been. I will miss every member of the community, from the dry humor Wyz makes constantly about customer service and natural selection 2 to the memes people made about how good Nominous shoots, to the smoke breaks Grim Reaper would always take, to the "ďmy wifeís water broke, I think I have to goĒ that" smiley uttered into his mic before rushing to the hospital for the birth of Wyz Jr. There are of course more memories of more people, and my steam friends list will not let me forget it. I expect to see you all elsewhere over the years, perhaps on different titles and in different places, but TGNS brought us all together to enjoy a common game and I hope that one day we can meet again and share our community values while laughing and competing together. I will likely create a thread where I will ask people if they can help me preserve some aspect of our community elsewhere on NS2 or beyond, simply because TGNS is gone does not mean that we all must part ways and never meet again. I send the desperate plea to everyone that the end of TGNS is not the end of decent, mature gameplay. I beg you all to keep the spirit of our beloved server alive by showing compassion, forgive people who are trying but struggling, communicate with your teammates, and strive to better the communities at large no matter the pushback. I will be doing my best alongside you all.
                  But thatís for another post. Goodbye TGNS, and may your memory last in the community you so carefully fostered and supported over the years. I donít regret coming into your welcoming embrace, nor do I ask anyone to continue bearing the burden of your operation.

It has been a honor to serve in your squads and for your hives,
                  Shifter

Below is my thread:
                  https://www.tacticalgamer.com/forum/...-for-castaways
                  Last edited by Shifter; 09-12-2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VMAN View Post
                    So Wyz what is next
                    I'm sure I'll eventually stumble into another significant project, but I don't have any plans there at the moment. My day-to-day concerns are plenty for a while. I'm fortunate to have a lot going on.

Comment

Although my time with TGNS just hit a year, it feels so short, and yet so very memorable. I'll be sadden to see TGNS be no more. This server was the fastest way I've gained so many friends.. I hope we don't all fall apart :'( I truly thank you Wyz, the server would never have been the way it was without you ♥
                      I like cheese

Comment

I've been fortunate to have been a part of numerous great gaming communities so far in my life, and they all hold their own special place in my heart. TGNS will also hold a special place, for the amazing community that we have here of mature players (well, relatively mature ;) ) who enjoy teamwork, being competitive, but above all that having fun and just being friends, even if only casually.

And that is all thanks to Wyz's hard work, both curating the community to lay the foundation for such an atmosphere and not let it be stained with the toxicity that is more present than it should be in not just NS2, but online gaming in general. And all the work done into coding the mods to make TGNS the server it is today, work which I know can be extremely time consuming and often frustrating, and all that on top of also managing the community. I can't imagine being able to do all that in addition to having a job with a wife and kids, with all the obligations that go along with that. Wyz, I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate all you've done for this server and the many sacrifices you've made, some known, and unfortunately I suspect some unknown.

Of course, thank you also to thane, Brian, and aero for all the hard work you've put into this great server over the years, as well as any others who have selflessly given their time to making TGNS a better place without expecting any recognition.

And to speak more personally, this server's been a important light for me the past year and a half. My life recently has been rough, with a lot of disappointments and a lot of things going exactly as I feared they would, leading to feeling lost and unsure of my future in general. But this server and the community on it has been a great comfort to me, helping me to get through it. Which makes TGNS different from the previous gaming communities I've been a part of, and in many ways even more important and special than the others.

There is always more I could say, but I'll just finish by saying I'm not sure I'll ever find a server on any game as well run and cared for like TGNS, nor an equally amazing community that accompanies it. I hope I do, but it would be quite a difficult search.

As with everything lately, I blame 317 (I jest...mostly).

Comment

The years have passed and the times were fun. I will always miss those magical moments of game play and comradery. The new people/ friends I have met have brought me great comfort. Although this doesn't have to be good bye forever, it does feel like so. I know shifter would like to keep the group going, and I will do my best to stay in contact with everyone.

Wyz, thank you for all the hard work and effort you have put into TGNS and the game itself.

I sure do hope that there are other games / venues that we can all get together on. NS2 is a very special game to me, but that doesn't mean that there aren't others we can get together and have fun with.

Thanks everyone for all the fun,

simallen / BileJob / LossyCompression

Comment

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

(more later)

Comment

Before I say anything else I'd like to thank Wyz for the opportunity to play at TGNS. I can only begin to imagine the amount of time, effort, and expertise that went into creating not only the server, but also the community that was built on it. I can certainly understand the desire to reclaim the vast amount of resources it takes to keep it moving.

That said, I'll say from a selfish perspective that the news is quite disappointing. I thoroughly enjoy and enjoyed this community and I don't think there are any other NS communities or game servers that even come close. The game play is and was top notch and feel like that goes without saying. In fact, game aside, this is the without a doubt the best online gaming community I've had the privilege of being a part of. From the occasional story to the routine banter, to the incredibly shrewd and incisive remarks and comments, to the full-blown conversations in the ready-room and during infest, it will all be sorely missed. It's been a lot of fun and I'm bummed I didn't happen across the community sooner. I'll remain optimistic and hope that someone might be interested in trying to keep the community together in some fashion or another. I'm happy to contribute if the opportunity presents itself but I don't think I'm the person to lead such an endeavor.

Wyz, thank you again for the providing the opportunity to enjoy TGNS. It's been a pleasure!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X