Christmas Eve Gorge Rush ftw! :D

http://www.brywright.co.uk/downloads...sh12-24-05.zip

just extract it to your half-life\ns folder

then in-game open up the console and type playdemo gorgerush
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Who says gorgerushes don't work?

Who says gorgerushes don't work?
    Certainly, a well done gorge rush can be extremely destructive. The primary problem with gorgerushes is not the marines defending their own base (which can be done, but isn't easy), but rather the possibility of marines relocating. You have most of your team tied up in one spot for a fairly long time period (since Gorges don't kill buildings very fast), and thats often plenty of time for even a single marine in the field to set up a brand new base.

That said, I'm not knocking the tactic at all. You've got a great example right there. And personally I think Gorge rushes are great fun. Just wanted to clarify the oppposition. =)

Comment

Two flaws of the gorge rush:
      • If the marines hand out a couple shotties and focus fire, it doesn't matter how many gorges you have, they'll go down.
      • Worst case scenario, they relocate, lose a minute or two of progress and the aliens are caught completely with their pants down having spent all their res on gorging and OCs.

Comment

But obviously, all tactics have "flaws" or counters. The whole point of trying something is to gamble the other side won't guess what's going on or won't be able to effectively organize once they *do* figure out what is going on.

I don't see the point in creating a negative bias in the first sentence of the response. On any given tactic, if the opposition just so happens to be starting with a strategy that negate's the first team's tactic, that tactic can fail. It doesn't mean the idea was flawed, but that the opposition either was very lucky or had high situational awareness and the skill needed to beat it.

One match's "awesome relocate strat" can be another match's mass call for commander-eject.

Comment

Just a quick chime in: the ultimate gorge rush, the bile bomb rush!! If the other team doesn't see it coming game over, 3 gorges can bilebomb the critical structures in a base faster than most commanders can even react.

Merry Christmas by the way.
          "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage
            But obviously, all tactics have "flaws" or counters. The whole point of trying something is to gamble the other side won't guess what's going on or won't be able to effectively organize once they *do* figure out what is going on.

I don't see the point in creating a negative bias in the first sentence of the response. On any given tactic, if the opposition just so happens to be starting with a strategy that negate's the first team's tactic, that tactic can fail. It doesn't mean the idea was flawed, but that the opposition either was very lucky or had high situational awareness and the skill needed to beat it.

One match's "awesome relocate strat" can be another match's mass call for commander-eject.
            Well, the issue is that the counter to gorge rushing is simply having a couple marines outside of base at the time, which incidentally marines do every time anyway. No organization required, just throw down a CC for someone when the Gorges show up, and it doesn't even need to be a good relocate spot because the aliens already crippled themselves anyway. Usually they'll move on to your relocate, but the momentum is gone and a couple shotties will be down by that time. Gorge rushes take a lot of luck or a giant screwup on the part of the marines to work. For every skulk you leave to hunt down the stray marines, there's one less gorge to back up your rush.

Comment

Hey... Ive seen em work. Ive even been part of em. Sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. Its not a good every day strat, but done every now and then, you're bound to have success. Which in my oppinion is enough to make it worthwhile. -even if they fail.
              _________
              <OP8-322>
              %#^^^#%

Comment

For me it seems that flaw is easily countered, have 1-2 people parasite everyone right before the gorge rush, and as the rush happens have that person kill whoever suddenly stops moving (and is therefore the one building the new cc).

Additionally, if you have someone to spare, a skulk taking out there nodes can utterly cripple thier economy seeing as a emergancy relocate requires a lot of res.
                "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Havnt seen a gorge rush work yet, if 1 marine wanders off not listening to the comm, chances are he'll discover the gorge rush and the team will have shotguns out by the time the gorges arrive.

Chewy: i was paraphrasomg
                  [19:01] Chewy: KAMER |
                  [19:01] Chewy: i love you | Drake_Anra : I only have a problem when Kamer talks... /// Chewy : That's very much a universal problem, Drake. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
                    Well, the issue is that the counter to gorge rushing is simply having a couple marines outside of base at the time, which incidentally marines do every time anyway.
                    Whoooaa.... easy on the generalizations, there.

I know some of you were in this game, just after the gorges' most recent buff:

ns_lost. Aliens start in equi. Game starts.. three MCs immediately, gorges (adren) charge marine spawn, which is empty save a chair which remained occupied. Meanwhile, we (I'm a gorge) learn, marines are charging my usual relocate spot. The gorges pursue, EAGER FOR BLOOD and giddy with excitement.

The gorges heal spray each other like crazy as they set up tiered OCs on the stairs and boxes north of the relocation (maybe 6 or so total, firing down the long hall through which they must attack us). Heal spray all around, and some casualties, but the marines lacked the discipline to counter the gorge rush. Aliens win.

As I recall, everyone thought it was good fun. So, Zek, you're dismissing the entire idea as "simply counterable," when in fact, regardless of where you want to place blame for the rush "succeeding," giving it a go was fun as hell, and, even better, thoroughly effective (toward the goal of winning and enjoying it, as opposed to always doing or not doing what experience dictates will win or fail).

Yes, we all draw the line somewhere. We all look at something and say "that's too stupid to even attempt." But I'm all for trying almost anything a few times, especially given that 16 variables exist every time a different group tries it in a new match. A critique loses some umph once it is expected, before it is delivered, to be negative or pessimistic.
                    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Yea its a pretty big risk doing a gorge rush but if you manage to do it catching them offguard and winning its a lot of fun.

I comm'ed a game once where they tried to gorge rush but a marine just happened to be running towards the pipeline hive so i handed out shotguns before they got to base then beaconed once they were in MS. Talk about a complete slaughter and game ender :D.
                      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

And in this thread we have the answer to the question, "Why isn't anyone trying anything new?" I think the ideas are out there. It's unfortunate that "that'll never work" is the prevailing thought for many veterans.

Comment

awesome you posted it!!!!!!
                          Gaming Rig: E6400 CPU, EP45-UD3R MOBO, 2 GB G.SKILL RAM ddr2-800, 8800GTS Video, Windows 7/Linux
                          Netbook: ASUS 1000HE, 2GB RAM, 1.66 CPU, Windows XP

<3 TG

Comment

Welcome to the forums, matt. :)
                            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm not dismissing anything. Can it work? Sure. Is it a flawed strat with a relatively low chance of success? Yes. I understand the appeal of fun strats, but in terms of actual effectiveness gorge rushes leave something to be desired unless you don't think your team can win a traditional game. Having fun and winning a game can sometimes be two completely separate things, and I was referring to the latter.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X