Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <rant> An open letter

Dear all,

I understand that NS is geared towards games where there are six on a side. I understand that playing with less than that isn't necessarily the "sweet spot" or the "developer's vision" for gameplay. I even sympathize with those who have a horrible horrible time in small games, even though I am not one of them.

That said, SMALL GAMES CAN NOT BECOME LARGE GAMES UNLESS PEOPLE ACTUALLY PLAY.

Tonight, for example, while three people were attempting to play a game, there were FOUR(!) people in the ready room, three of whom were there when I joined, and a fourth that come and left while the game of 2 on 1 was being played.

That's an affront enough, I think. But do you know what really got me? What motivated this letter? The fact that all four people in the ready room were paying members! They contribute financially to TG, and didn't play! My mind boggles at that factoid.

While a small game was being played, a number that would have more than doubled the size of the game hung out in the ready room. If people want to chat, I've got no problem with that. In fact, jackel recently pointed out that there are places for that specific action to happen.

Small games may stink, and while I like them, I prefer larger games if I can have them. And it's pretty painful to have to type this post up, given what I've come to expect here.

I apologize in advance if any offense is taken, but this is a topic that I've been meaning to address for a little while now; tonight just drove it home for me.

Thanks,
    Pokerface

&lt;/rant>
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Short of a rule forcing people to play when they're on a far-from-full server, this thread is a well-written and respectfully submitted personal opinion.

If several players want some sort of rule regarding this issue, this is certainly the thread in which to discuss the details of what you want.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Didnt the server have an NS auto pick teamer thingy that if somebody hung out in the RR for too long it picked your team for you?

Comment

I think he was refering to the TR people being in the RR, they were setting up (trying to) a scrim.

Comment

If he wanted to make this specific to that one incident, I'm sure he would have said so.

Ender, to my knowledge the TG NS server has never had something that forced you into a team after idling in the RR for a certain amount of time. The admins do have a command that will force everyone on a random team to avoid stacking, but it's VERY rare that its use is justified.

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Well, I understand that this may not be specific to that one incident, but for the majority of the time we were explaining the promotion system to a curious shroompicker and bebhead. I personaly, after having done that, decided to wait for Ema to return with our scrim information on the server, as last time we had a scrim, wyz broadcasted to those on the server that were TR that we had a scrim to go to, i figured ema would do the same. after waiting a while, and attempting to teach billy to bunny hop, i made the sujestion that we all leave and talk on ventrilo and IRC. which we did.

Sorry if this is out of context, but i figured it would be nice to know why we didn't join right away.

As for a rule on *having* to play small games, I don't think it's a great idea, because i for one would rather not play them. I actualy idle in the server for quite a while untill there are atleast enough of us there to start a 4v4. I realize that small games can not become large unless people play, but when i'm idle in the server i like to talk to the people that join. me and enigma have had some nice conversations where we told eachother our play styles and strategys, while waiting for more people to join. To be honest, most of the people that join and have played on this server before with me seem to rather like talking to me about NS in general, while waiting for more people to come play.

That's just how i feel about a rule like that.

Sorry you are upset about my actions, and the other TR present.

Comment

I wasn't there, and I understand the frustration of having people "there" but not playing. However, note that having people in the server, even if they're idling in the RR, will attract more players to join. As long as the server isn't pushing capacity, those in the RR are helping to fill the server up.
              "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak

Ender, to my knowledge the TG NS server has never had something that forced you into a team after idling in the RR for a certain amount of time. The admins do have a command that will force everyone on a random team to avoid stacking, but it's VERY rare that its use is justified.

Wyzcrak
                I swear you guys did or were talking about it.. or maybe I was dreaming it?

Comment

At one point, we had a plugin that kicked players who idled in the ready room. It was very unpopular, and it was removed. Beyond that, I'd have to support the dreaming theory. ;)

Wyzcrak

Comment

Originally posted by verbose
                    I wasn't there, and I understand the frustration of having people "there" but not playing. However, note that having people in the server, even if they're idling in the RR, will attract more players to join. As long as the server isn't pushing capacity, those in the RR are helping to fill the server up.
                    That may be the case, since the person browsing servers will see 7/15 on the server.

But she'll click on TG thinking "Hey, nice tight game, server not too full" and -- if she chooses to play after finding that many people in the RR-- end up playing in a 2 on 2 game, wondering why so many people are on the server NOT playing.

I'm not advocating a rule of any sort; that would be overkill. All I'm for is getting people to play while on the server, to end the frustration of playing a game KNOWING that there are people in the RR who aren't there to play (thereby, even if people are attracted to the server by the playercount, they'll be outta there in a flash when the RR people do finally drop).
                    [volun2]
                    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

I was one of the people in the RR. I was doing other things, and deliberately joined the then empty server in order to try and stimulate others to join, before I went off and did my other things. I recognise that this is a bit of a con, because I had no intention of playing for several hours. On the other hand, few people are willing to be the first on, but once the balls starts rolling, many others will join. I often see an empty server and several people on the forums, TS etc.

I have been doing this AFK idling quite a bit recently, and often was the first person there, due to the UK-US time difference. I also often joined in the then busier server when I came back to my computer.

If anyone thinks that my actions are counterproductive I will stop immediately.
                      Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Actually Winter, you weren't one of the people in the RR during the inciting incident. :)

Idling people trying to incite a game is a great thing... the trick is, you have to be willing to play when the people are there to play, and be willing to check in often enough. I have a shortcut to run NS in a window for just such a reason.
                        [volun2]

Comment

I don't think there's any point in enforcing a rule to keep people from sitting in the RR. If they don't want to play, they don't want to play, and better that they are idling or messing around than simply leaving.

On the plus side, this won't be as much of a problem when Combat comes around though. It's not the best with only a few people but at least you can play a game instead of just messing around. On an unrelated note though, I would still really like an auto-random plugin to be tried on the server though because in a game with a decent number of pubbers, there's almost always a certain degree of stacking on this server. We all play on this server to play with the other regs, and because of that I think many won't join a team of pubbers since they join the server to play with a good team. Random teams work rather well to make fair games and they aren't terrible and game-ruining as many seem to think.

Comment

I've always been all for an auto-random plugin on this server, but it has failed, in the past, to gain popular support. Randomness ONLY HELPS gameplay.

Wyzcrak

Comment

Random isn't as ranom as the term leads you to believe. In my opinion.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X