Lag in the comm chair?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag in the comm chair?

Does anyone else get periodic lag while comming? It's kind of a bummer sometimes because when it pauses can mean life or death for somes marines :O. Sometimes these pauses can last up to 3-4 seconds before catching up.

My rates are: (dunno if that would have anything to do with it, I never get any lag like this while on the ground)

Rate: 20000
    updaterate: 50
    cmdrate: 100
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Lag in the comm chair?

It means that The Chair has rejected you.

Comment

The comm chair interface is more demanding on your system than the typical load imposed on your average grunt experience, but it should be consistent in whatever performance you're getting.

I don't know what would cause it to pause like that. Sounds like a network problem, but you're not experiencing it on the ground. Strange.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

that doesnt sound like network lag since you don't experience it on the ground. Check your processes for cpu cycle spikes. That's all I got.

Comment

No real CPU spikes that I can tell... XP usually starts up with only 100MB commit charge before I play NS...

Although as of today I ran into yet another problem... my connection to tacticalgamer connects at around 250 ping consistently when just yesterday and before it was low arond 50-60 most of the time... and the other server I play on is showing its normal ping. So all of today its been a really high ping for me.. anybody else ever get this problem sporatically?

Comment

Maybe run a tracert to tacticalgamer.com to see if you have a bad hop between you and tg.

command prompt:
            tracert www.tacticalgamer.com

Then you can call up your ISP and yell. =D
            USAR

Comment

Code:
              C:\>tracert www.tacticalgamer.com

Tracing route to tacticalgamer.com [70.86.223.82]
              over a maximum of 30 hops:

1  1692 ms     7 ms    11 ms  10.58.224.1
                2    12 ms     7 ms     9 ms  pos1-0.lnclne00-ubr3.neb.rr.com [24.169.240.113]

3     8 ms    10 ms     8 ms  pos5-1.lnclne00-rtr1.neb.rr.com [24.169.240.25]

4    24 ms    23 ms    23 ms  RDC-24-94-160-70.kc.rr.com [24.94.160.70]
                5    28 ms    33 ms    23 ms  pop1-chi-P7-2.atdn.net [66.185.141.93]
                6    33 ms    29 ms    28 ms  Sprint.atdn.net [66.185.150.218]
                7    26 ms    27 ms    28 ms  sl-bb22-chi-5-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.90]
                8    37 ms    39 ms    40 ms  sl-bb21-kc-3-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.129]
                9    46 ms    46 ms    44 ms  sl-bb26-fw-13-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.8.63]
               10    46 ms    42 ms    45 ms  sl-bb27-fw-15-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.11.86]
               11    43 ms    44 ms    45 ms  sl-st20-dal-13-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.83]

12   261 ms   268 ms   268 ms  sl-theplanet-5-0.sprintlink.net [144.223.244.142
              ]
               13    37 ms    38 ms    39 ms  vl31.dsr01.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.85.127.29]

14    39 ms    39 ms    38 ms  po31.dsr01.dllstx5.theplanet.com [70.85.127.106]

15    46 ms    61 ms    41 ms  po2.car04.dllstx5.theplanet.com [70.84.160.166]

16   259 ms   258 ms   258 ms  82.70-86-223.reverse.theplanet.com [70.86.223.82
              ]

Trace complete.

C:\>
              Which one is the problem and why is #1 at 1000, and they very last one at 258???

Comment

Do you have cable or DSL? Do you have a router that you go through before the modem? Have you restarted your modem recently? The reason for the 1000 ping maybe because something is dieing or needs to be rebooted etc and may be the reason why you get lag spikes.

The hops at 12 and 16 seem to be the routers that are hurting your connection the most.
                USAR

Comment

Cable modem (no router, direct connection to wall) and I've re-booted it about 5 times today and still have the same problem.

I've always had problems with this modem though, sometimes when I'm online it just loses connection to the cable line and has to reinitialize it (takes around 30 seconds to get back up normally). VERY annoying especially when your in a good NS game.

I called my ISP about it and they ran diagnostics but gave me the "well we arn't getting any packet loss here and everything shows up fine" talk.

Seriously considering just going and buying my own cable modem :D. Although why do that when they'll replace it for free. Although I'm thinking the one I got from them might be a crappy generic one that's been used by many customers. Is it possible to get a much higher quality modem from newegg and it will run faster and more stable?

Comment

From my experience with a crappy ISP, if they tell you it's the modem that causes your problems, it's not. It's them. We went out and replaced the modem because they said our problem was that our modem was not the recommended model. Dad buys the new model, and we still have cable outages from them three to four times a day.
                    What's the lag like in the comm chair? Is it spikes or does your fps drop? I know when I get in the chair my fps drop a little.
                    --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

I think its a combination of both because sometimes while i'm in the game (on the ground) I get major FPS drops where it jerks and internet lags for about 5 seconds then picks back up to normal.

It's weird and its been doing it for quite a while. I scan regularily for spyware and w/ online virus scans, and with only minimal services running. Only other program I have running is my firewall which I've disabled and it still does the same thing (sygate firewall).

Although it could just be my crap ISP... the modem losing connection is crap since I pay $40\mo for buggy service.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper
                        I never get any lag like this while on the ground
                        Originally posted by aeroripper
                        sometimes while i'm in the game (on the ground) I get major FPS drops where it jerks and internet lags for about 5 seconds then picks back up to normal.
                        So... you do get lag on the ground, or you don't?

This is an important piece of information in the troubleshooting process.
                        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

From what I have read this is most likely caused by when your fps spikes really low (like under 15) Here are some commands that can get you more fps.

Add these commands to your userconfig. These commands will lower your overall graphics a little bit and will gain a lot of frames.

cl_dynamiclights "0"
                          cl_highdetail "0"
                          cl_himodels "0"
                          r_detailtextures "0"
                          r_decals "200.000000" (this is the amount of decals that will display on walls)

Comment

I have experienced the ocassional FPS drop to about 3-5 for a second or two on both my last computer and my current one. I think it may have something to do with sound as slight pops are detectable. Is this true for your case?
                            Rm 14:2 NIV
                            One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                              So... you do get lag on the ground, or you don't?

This is an important piece of information in the troubleshooting process.
                              Sorry I know I'm sounding contradicting but occasionally I get a slowdown of fps when running around on the ground. Although its not like in the comm chair where it lags most of the time I comm (mostly big games), but only when it seems the server is under a lot of load. Basically on the ground what happens is my fps just takes a drop for 3-4 sec then catches back up. It doesn't happen that often so I never really thought it was the same issue and was just a result of the server under load.

I am going to try those lower detail commands to see if that helps.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X