Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning to all

I speak from experience here.

As some of you know, IE7 beta is floating around the net. DO NOT install this. Steam relies on internet explorer to download files, and verify them. If you upgrade, this will not happen. HL will simply crash and close with no reason.
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Re: Warning to all

Originally posted by ImAWuss
    I speak from experience here.

As some of you know, IE7 beta is floating around the net. DO NOT install this. Steam relies on internet explorer to download files, and verify them. If you upgrade, this will not happen. HL will simply crash and close with no reason.
    You sure it requires IE? You can update via steam on linux (using Cedega) without IE.

Comment

Whoa.

Internet Explorer and Steam.

The collaborative possibilities stagger the imagination.

* shudder *
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Can you be more specific on what IE7 is for the people that dont know. Thx.

Comment

internet explorer 7......IE7....

i use steam and i uninstalled my IE...i use Firefox only...im not sure maybe with the beta it screwd something else up
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Oh i gotcha Internet Explorer 7 is beta. Ok thx.

Comment

I would assume that the IE7 beta install may also include some updated beta versions of core networking/socket/whatever libraries that Steam relies on as well and that this is what is causing the crashing.
              Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Yep. Any link that you click on in steam will launch an IE window, reguardless of what your default browser is.

Im not sure how it works on linux.

And on a side note, Internet Explorer 7 is HORRIBLE.
                birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Is Micro$oft going to make IE7 a critical update? I use firefox so I don't keep up to date with them.

Comment

In related news, be sure to get the FasterFox Fx extension. It's delicious.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                      What is it?
                      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I Googled for 'fasterfox' and found this link:

http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/

Comment

Whoa.

Internet Explorer and Steam.

The collaborative possibilities stagger the imagination.

* shudder *
                          At least now we know were all this steamed drop is coming from. It not steam but IE. :)

I have never been able to get IE to work right no matter how hard I try.

IE does not follow the web standards so why steam is using it is beond me. It would be much better to get a trimmed down web interface and install it then relize on a buggy, uncontrolable, monopoply controled, not standarded, pop-up riden, antisecurity Internet Explorer.(did I miss any?) (Any correctly written website will work in any standard following web browser. IE makes up it own standards to force the market share for it as you have to use it for thing like banks that do not know better.)
                          Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Google Web Accelerator also works nice (FF and IE).

Sucks to hear about the crash, did you fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by zibalatz
                              I would assume that the IE7 beta install may also include some updated beta versions of core networking/socket/whatever libraries that Steam relies on as well and that this is what is causing the crashing.
                              ^^ This is what I presume, as IE/FIREFOX/Your choice of browser uses services from the magical "7 Layer system" with a side of TCP/IP. What does this mean? That all the browsers use the same services and protocols through windows to access the interweb (file transfer, date, monkeys). So, regardless if Steam prefers IE, its not "IE" that's messed up but the services that "IE" uses to request data from the interweb.

And I know this, because I sat through 2, 2 hour lectures from an instructor from Argentina (thick accent... bad english), where internet law was carved into my cerebrum... not the first time, nor the last I imagine.
                              USAR

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X