Handling DCs first

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling DCs first

A short guide to Kerostasis and DC's first.

At the beginning of most NS games when Kero is an alien, he will ask the team if its ok to drop DCs first.
    TIP #1--HE IS NOT JOKING!! If half the team says nothing, and a couple people "pretend" to agree with what they think is a joke, there is a very good chance you will have DCs dropped within 20 seconds of the game start. If you really don't want DCs, say so! If I hear that my team really doesn't want DCs, I'm willing to listen to them.

TIP #2--DC's first is NOT an autoloss. My team has won the last 3 games in a row going DCs first. (not counting a game or two where 1-hive aliens with no RTs were being seiged out by the time the first upgrade of any kind was dropped...) You just have to fight a little harder for your win is all...

So, how do you win with DCs? Well, I can't cover every possible strategy for such a complex game, but here's some tips to get you started.

------------------------
    The primary drawback of DCs is not the combat effectiveness. Yes, celerity is very nice in combat, but so is carapace. You may prefer one over the other, but it's not a huge difference really. The primary drawback is that it takes longer to move around the map. MC aliens rely heavily on their ability to get from one side of the map to the other very fast, to respond to whatever the current battlefield is at any time.

With DC, you can't do this as easily anymore. You can still cross the map faster than the marines can, but it will take you substantially longer (for example) to die, respawn, and re-cross the map to return to a critical battle far away from your first hive.

What does this mean for you? It means your life is valuable! Even as a cheap skulk, try not to enter a battle if you don't have a fairly good chance of winning it, because you may not be able to afford the tempo loss required to re-cross the map. Of course, if the battle is right next to your hive, this isn't as much of an issue.

The second major point to remember is 2nd Hive defense. MC aliens enjoy the luxury of being able to drop their second hive anywhere at any time, and know that they can always use their MCs to teleport there to help defend it. DC aliens will have to walk to the second hive in order to defend it.

What does this mean for you? First of all, you have to be more careful about when you drop your hive. It's not always a good idea to drop it the moment you have 50 res, if the area around it isn't safe. You won't be able to call in instant reinforcements simply by dropping the hive. Make sure that "clear" hive is really clear.

Secondly, while the hive is building, keep people near it to guard it. Waiting until you see the red flash of marine weapons hitting your hive will be TOO LATE! You will need to know the marines are coming, and organize a response, without the luxury of teleportation. This isn't impossible--it just requires more coordination.

Keep these tips in mind, and have some fun with occasionally changing up your build orders!

Re: Handling DCs first

Good points, Kero.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Great points Kero. Also, a lot of the points you raised apply for SC first as well. I suppose it's more of a justification or explanation of "how to handle not having MCs with your first hive".
      Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

I like the idea of just changing it up, instead of the same thing every time. Carapace is extremely important to a one hive fade, at least for me anyway.
        Gorges too. Lerk, skulk not so much.
        I think we should do this more often, sensory too.

Comment

I think the best use of DC first is skulks getting carapace. The extra bullets it takes to kill you can get you kills that you wouldn't of got without it and it confuses marines (good marines stop shooting when they think they shot the required number of bullets for a kill).

Just like for anything, for carapace to be effective you need to ambush, this is where it really shines because you have more time to land your bites before you can be killed.

DC starts to lack when higher life forms appear, fades are slow and more shots will register on them because of it, also the same healing affect can be made by having gorges in the second hive. One plus DC has for fades is attacking marine start because they can heal without going back to the hives.

One strategy can be to build the DCs in the second hive to act has a little healing station. This is quite risky and placing them there too early might get them killed. What you can do is get 2 early ones in your main hive, then drop 2-3 more in the building hive, this will heal fades and skulks up really fast so they can return to killing marines.

While any of the 3 chambers can win a game I still think mc is by far the best.
          MCs weakness (no healing outside the hive) can be made up with gorges healing in the building hive. You still get some form of stealth with silence (silence is under used). You also get more longevity with celerity because it makes your hitbox drag behind you that much more. Also MC clearly benefit every lifeform a ton, more than any other chamber, and the movement between hives is invaluable.

LazyEye

Comment

Regen means a skulk can kill an rt without help (although it takes time)

DCs can substancially help WoLs, and though I wouldn't say this is usually an issue when you only have one hive up, once you get two and have enough res you may feel compelled. DCs being a rare second choice as well may not be employed in time in a normal game to be used for this purpose (no need to WoL when you already won)

I honestly think the biggest drawback in choosing DCs is how it effects lerks. I think a lerk with either celerity or focus is more powerful than a lerk with carapace. The extra 60 damage it buys you is nothing compared to the damage you prevent by moving faster and being harder to hit, and regen is only valuable if you are having trouble making it back to a hive to heal. The only redeeming feature in my mind is that if a lerk sits still a clip from the pistol won't kill him if he has cara. So if you get surprised, which shoudnlt happen, it might save you.

Since half the games that should have lerks end up not having them though you could say having DCs is not always the drawback it appears to be.

Comment

MC teleportation to a building hive has become something of a crutch for aliens. No doubt it's very useful and it makes MC the best choice for first chamber, but I've noticed that because of it aliens have become fairly complacent when it comes to watching their building hive. Often when aliens take DC and especially SC first don't realize that they need to pay really close attention to the area around their building hive so they can react in time to defend it. There are way too many successful ninja phases going up these days.

I think we should start trying to break away from MSD more often on this server; not just because it's getting stale, but also to prevent the formation of bad habits such as this from getting too dependant on the perks of MCs. If you're on alien team, just suggest it and most of the time people will play along. Don't ask "Which chamber should we use?" and expect people to volunteer DC/SC; clearly say "Let's do DCs first guys" and drop them yourself if no one complains. Remember that the only real buff MCs have received is the free/fast skulk upgrades of 3.0, and maybe the new 3.1.2 gorge; before that, they could still do all the same things and people still preferred DMS. Frankly that buff helps the other chambers just as much with skulk cara or skulk cloaking/focus. Hive teleportation is not a necessity, and the recent line of thought that aliens can't live without it is really restricting.

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
                MC teleportation to a building hive has become something of a crutch for aliens. No doubt it's very useful and it makes MC the best choice for first chamber, but I've noticed that because of it aliens have become fairly complacent when it comes to watching their building hive. Often when aliens take DC and especially SC first don't realize that they need to pay really close attention to the area around their building hive so they can react in time to defend it. There are way too many successful ninja phases going up these days.

I think we should start trying to break away from MSD more often on this server; not just because it's getting stale, but also to prevent the formation of bad habits such as this from getting too dependant on the perks of MCs. If you're on alien team, just suggest it and most of the time people will play along. Don't ask "Which chamber should we use?" and expect people to volunteer DC/SC; clearly say "Let's do DCs first guys" and drop them yourself if no one complains. Remember that the only real buff MCs have received is the free/fast skulk upgrades of 3.0, and maybe the new 3.1.2 gorge; before that, they could still do all the same things and people still preferred DMS. Frankly that buff helps the other chambers just as much with skulk cara or skulk cloaking/focus. Hive teleportation is not a necessity, and the recent line of thought that aliens can't live without it is really restricting.

I second the motion! I bet if we went a few weeks without doing MCs first, after losing the first few games aliens would start to be on thier toes more. The question should be "So, do we want DCs or SCs?" or "Hey lets do [DC or SC]" Gorges probably won't need the extra adren until they have a second hive anyway. If you are worried about healing your only hive you would be losing regardless of your chamber.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X