Time Untill Hive complete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Untill Hive complete

Me and wyz talk about this abit on the server. He ask if a plugin that will give the time remaing untill hive up might be useful. I thought it might be so. In the idea i have for it one would say /hive, and it would give the time remaining to build the hive, say hive in : 1:00 namely M:SS format.

This thread is to poke holes in this idea, and to remind wyz about it in cause he forgot.
    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Re: Time Untill Hive complete

I like the idea overall, maybe make it show on the screen when you die, in the middle or something so its noticed?

Chewy: i was paraphrasomg
    [19:01] Chewy: KAMER |
    [19:01] Chewy: i love you | Drake_Anra : I only have a problem when Kamer talks... /// Chewy : That's very much a universal problem, Drake. :D

Comment

This is a fine idea if you mean it to be used for the Alien team only. Otherwise, marines and aliens knowing this would be a really bad idea. You didn't specify, so I would need a clarification.

Comment

paranoid has a point, and it's one of the reasons I've not yet implemented this plugin. I've been thinking on this.

I mean... so much of the feeling of accomplishment that you get from winning in this game is the giving and taking of tactical and strategic data: the communication.

Yes, we run a plugin for resource communication, but that's largely for two reasons:

a) it's not possible to get this data without communication
        b) not getting this data in time can and will absolutely wreck an entire game

But the hive time is something you can largely determine, to, pretty much, within about 30 seconds or so.

Here's the question I can't get past, in my "why I shouldn't write this plugin" role:

Why not write a plugin to tell marines when armor2 will be finished, or MT?

As much as part of me wants to know, right now, when the HELL that hive will be online, I really do think that, in having that spoon-fed to us, we're removing some of the game's challenge... part of that which causes us to enjoy the game as much as we do.

Thoughts?
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I could go either way on this. All the alien players get a little bit of a progress bar (hive icon, upper right) that in theory could be translated into time, so it's not something exclusive to someone looking at the hive (like marines requiring the commander to tell them when upgrades are ready). But it almost feels like an alien should be with the hive either way. I doubt changing this would actually encourage or deter people from babysitting the hive though.

Comment

One of the most satisfying things about this game is the ABSOLUTE ENDLESSNESS with which you can discover ways to improve your gameplay.

I think that, in adding this "feature," we remove one thing upon which players can improve: their ability to share with each other when the hive will be ready.

Yes? No? Does it matter?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

The person putting the hive up should inform his team when it will complete, time hive was put up + 3:00

LazyEye

Comment

I feel as paranoid does on this. I'm very interested in hearing arguments to counter his points. That is, why is this plugin necessary given what it takes from gameplay?

If we can't manage that, we needn't the plugin.

Comment

I thought if the player who dropped the hive was going to type "hive dropped" it might as well be "/hivetime" which broadcasts to the team more, specific, information. Not something that should be spammed by players every 10 seconds mind you, but something for the team to know of two absolutes: That the hive was dropped and when the hive will finish. I thought it was meant to be a tool to communicate to your team, and not something meant to be depended on.

In a perfect world, player lets his team know the information. This doesn't allways happen, even with the plugin.
                  USAR

Comment

I do not agree with the line of thought that the alien team should be handicapped in the availability of simple information such as this just to force them to work together. Maybe if that actually worked it would be one thing, but instead people generally just make a guess based on the HUD sprite and don't say anything. Simply put, there is a limit to the amount of teamwork that any given player feels like dealing with, and going through a whole process for little things like this is pushing it. This server is still a pub and it's unreasonable to expect every little detail to be communicated at all times.

This same argument could have been(and has been) used against any number of other things like this added to the game. Like the hive HP indicator, for one. And structure parasites, and weld/heal emote icons. Not to mention the minimap, which was a huge step in the direction of freely available information for both teams. I don't see it as a bad thing to streamline the process of information gathering, especially for the alien team that is supposed to be linked through a hive mind; leave the teamwork to important things like res management and unit coordination.

Besides, this isn't exactly a major change. The hive icon already provides a progress bar in steps of 20%(I think), and the HP bar is the same thing as the percentage reading, just less accurate. This is just a small convenience to help people interpret these readings, especially those who don't already know that hives take 3 minutes and start at 50% HP. If anything it will improve alien teamwork by giving them a better idea of how much longer they need to hold out, so someone can gestate to drop chambers or something.

As for the functionality, if possible the timer should display right next to the hive icons on the top right. I guess a chat command that reports the time to the team would also work.

Comment

Neverminding the validity of your argument as to why we should or shouldn't have the plugin, Zek: you're thinking about a persistant "time left" display for the entire duration of the build time, that disappears when the hive finishes building?

Comment

If that's possible, then yes, might as well avoid the chat spam. But a /hive command or something is better than nothing.

Comment

I guess a "time when hive'll complete" time is easier, but the same design applies.

What do you guys think? Make it happen, or take the "high road" to communication?

Comment

Do it, Do it, Do it.
                            USAR

Comment

The major part behind this idea comes back to the fact hives are not the safest place to drop something then just go round talking to your teammates stuff. What if the hive is lockdown. Will the gorge that drops it be more conserd with what time it is, or not dying. This time untill finish is very useful. Hive two up in 3 sec, TF was just drop, wait those 3 sec and get a big boost then attack, otherwise you all run in die, lose only to wish you knew the hive was almost up. Also you just to have the hive go up and have to get a new gorge to bile, or something like that. A skulk who is going to drop the chambers can start gestateing near the last 20 sec or so of the hive building and not waste as much time waiting for it. It add a new method to do a plan. It will allow the aliens to hold back a bit to gain the boost they need, like the marines hold back well the TF goes into seige mode, they wait untill the comm tells them to move in, something you wyz do a lot, as you can tell exacly when the tf is done. This will not remove any comunating, as it rare that i hear, how long untill the hive is done. But with this we add new possablitys to plan, attack and work as a team much more then we can now. It not vitle but like the showres will add something we could gain by keeping track just it much harder to do, and not worth the time a person would take to do it, but if you could just hit a button a find out you can use it to help the aliens work toghter more.

Another example is this. The aliens have 4 or 5 skulks outside the MS, if they know by waiting only 4 seconds, they could use xeno or leap, It would let them wait then attack. A leaping skulk is much stronger than a non leaping one. Very few bases with marines do well after 5 xenos at the same time.
                              Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X