No announcement yet.

We went and wrote something down...

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We went and wrote something down...

Familiarize yourselves with the new "Marine Vent Hopping" line item of the Basic Rules section on the TGNS Rules page.

From the Tactical Gamer Primer, which is required reading, describing what every TG-hosted title is striving for:
    Tactical Gamer was founded [to be a place where] the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing superior real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging advantages provided to players by the design of the game engine.
    Now, as you all know, the fictional/futuristic (not at all "real-world") setting of NS allows me (and the TGNS admins) more discretion when interpretting that text than any other game hosted at TG, but we respect it and answer to it nonetheless. For better or for worse, we all enjoy no more or less a liberal interpretation of that text than the admins dictate when we're playing on the TGNS server (me included, as, for example, I'd prefer node blocking illegal, but it's allowed).

The admins have decided that this marine vent hopping warrants prohibition for two reasons:

a) it amounts to "leveraging advantages provided to players by the design of the game engine"
    -- yes, we allow other things which meet this description, but we alone decide where the line is drawn, and that determination is partly based on:
    b) balance: the speed increase one gains by doing this is neither negligible nor ignorable

In summary, when you look at the Primer, that behavior has no business on the server. Beyond that, we see no reason to include it in our gameplay. And so it is prohibited.

If you have any questions or comments (or if you think we're failing to consider something important), you may PM any TGNS admin.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed