X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update at naturalselection.com

This tonight at naturalselection.com:
    [January 24th, 2006 ] :: Site developer needed

Hey everyone. We've been having our fair share of problems in getting the forums and rest of the site back up after the hackers had their way with us and we do appreciate your patience while we work through them. The whole thing has taken a lot longer than we anticipated and to make matters worse, the site downage also meant that we lost our main source of funding. It's probably not obvious from the outside, but Constellation donations have been my main income and have enabled NS development to continue (otherwise NS development would've stopped part-way through development of NS v2.0). Development on NS:Source has been predictably slow during this time as well.

Since our funding essentially dried up, it caused a ripple effect to the NS team. Karl "XP-Cagey" Patrick was working full-time on the site and some future code and suddenly that couldn't be sustained. So now Karl is off working at Stormfront Studios and we're left with a site that is essentially complete except for some mysterious time-out bugs and a couple loose ends. It's working well enough to be used privately for the developers and playtesters, but if we opened it to the public we're afraid we would have to bring it back down again due to these problems.

So what we are in dire need of now is a PHP/MySQL programmer that can rapidly get up to speed on our code (which is very clean and well-organized) and kick butt over the next week or two to fix these last issues. If desired, we would also love this to be a full-time (although unpaid) position and would involve adding new community features and integrating more tightly with the game. We have lots of ideas for how we'd like to improve it and if we had a dedicated programmer tasked to it, I think the whole community would appreciate it.

If this is something you are interested in, PLEASE e-mail me immediately. If it looks like a fit, we'll have you sign an NDA then get you access to the code base ASAP and you can get cranking. The NS team and whole NS community would really appreciate it.

In more upbeat news, we have gotten some very serious inquiries by investors recently and are following up on them. We are also in the process of choosing a CEO for the company. If and when this funding comes through, we will be able to get that office, hire those first key people and make some major announcements about our future games! After two years of looking, it looks like our persistence may finally pay off. Furthermore, we won't have to beg the community for free help because we'll be able to hire someone full-time. :)

In summary, things have been a bit slow these past few months but our future is starting to look very bright. Thanks for hanging in there and being as patient as you can!
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: update at naturalselection.com

Now do you really think he actually has "serious inquiry" about funding, or is he blowing smoke again?

Somehow I still have trouble believing somebody that is investing 50k+ in his company is not going to be put off by the site downtime and managerial issues. Their going to check the credit rating on everyone who's ever worked or even dated him.
    Last edited by aeroripper; 01-25-2006, 03:58 AM.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I'd do it, but I have finals in less than two weeks....

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper
        Now do you really think he actually has "serious inquiry" about funding, or is he blowing smoke again?

Somehow I still have trouble believing somebody that is investing 50k+ in his company is not going to be put off by the site downtime and managerial issues. Their going to check the credit rating on everyone who's ever worked or even dated him.
        Well, considering that these problems are a result of lack of funding...

Comment

What are you saying, Zek? I don't understand.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm saying it's not Flayra's fault he's not a web developer and doesn't have the cash to employ one. This situation is the result of a major endeavor like NS being run on pocket change. If he were able to fund the entire show by himself he wouldn't need investments in the first place, and any investor willing to fund small upstart companies like this one should understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by Zek
              I'm saying it's not Flayra's fault he's not a web developer and doesn't have the cash to employ one. This situation is the result of a major endeavor like NS being run on pocket change. If he were able to fund the entire show by himself he wouldn't need investments in the first place, and any investor willing to fund small upstart companies like this one should understand that.
              Lets hope so, I'd love to see NS:S.

Comment

NS:S will make me sad. My machine lacks the ability to run the source engine very well, and having a big migration over would only do me harm. It's just like how I was one of the last 5 people who actually used *gasp* a 56k modem after the switch to steam. I feel bad for anyone still using 56k, there is no way they will be able to run source. Upgrading to cable or dsl is a tad easier than getting a new computer though. I find it hard to justify the expense both in not having a lot of money, and also in that this computer really does everything I need it to do for school related activities (main reason I have a computer).

I do however, want things to work out for the development of NS and Unknown Worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Pirate
                  NS:S will make me sad. My machine lacks the ability to run the source engine very well, and having a big migration over would only do me harm. It's just like how I was one of the last 5 people who actually used *gasp* a 56k modem after the switch to steam. I feel bad for anyone still using 56k, there is no way they will be able to run source. Upgrading to cable or dsl is a tad easier than getting a new computer though. I find it hard to justify the expense both in not having a lot of money, and also in that this computer really does everything I need it to do for school related activities (main reason I have a computer).

I do however, want things to work out for the development of NS and Unknown Worlds.
                  I wouldn't worry, you'll probably have another one in the 2+ years before it comes out.

Comment

Program PHP on a MySQL/IIS/Windows tech stack? nothx

But it would give you the secret knowledge of
                    TEH NEXUS!11

Comment

I don't even fully know what the nexus is.
                      USAR

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
                        I don't even fully know what the nexus is.
                        Thats where the secret knowledge part comes in.

Comment

Nexus was the project that charlie conducted in his basement trying to make a real-life skulk out of playdoh, maple syrup, and shavings from his beard.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper
                            Nexus was the project that charlie conducted in his basement trying to make a real-life skulk out of playdoh, maple syrup, and shavings from his beard.
                            Couldnt have explained it any better.
                            Oyee

Comment

New update--they got their programmer. Apparently they got a lot of response to their plea for help.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X