Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New rule, commanders must have microphone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rule, commanders must have microphone?

I know the server relies extensively on teamwork and communication, but everyone knows how hard it is to communicate with your team as a comm with no microphone. Sometimes you can get by if you have a good team and they do everything for you, but most of the time this isn't the case. Also I know the games where somebody comms that doesn't have a microphone and has to type everything out, but even then you don't get nearly as much info as you do through a microphone.

Is it fair to require microphones if your going to command?
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: New rule, commanders must have microphone?

I think it's fair. For myself, I have gone between having one and not having one. I aviod comming as much as possible if I have no mic. I wouldn't make it a rule so much because there will be times when the only people with microphones don't know how to com, but if there is someone who has a mic who can com, they should be the ones.

Comment

It's fair to say we have a preference for microphones. An unwritten rule (at least, in the sense that I can't find it right this second) stated that comms without mics had to pony up to someone with a mic who wanted to comm.

The key facet of the game, though, is not vocal speech; it's communication. A comm communicating to the best of his ability should be welcomed, and one performing a subpar job removed, regardless of communcation method.

It's EASIER to be a good comm with a microphone, but it is not impossible to do so without.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I could have sworn long long ago it was decided that a mic was req. to hop in the chair...

Comment

Originally posted by Eclipse
          I could have sworn long long ago it was decided that a mic was req. to hop in the chair...
          Negative. Often desired. Never before required.

If there's exception to that in our past, it's never been documented, and, certainly, it isn't the case today.

Poker's right, though, the standard practice is that, if both are competent, dude with a mic gets preference over dude without. If the two wanna get snippy about it, neither really has a "rule" to back him up, though (I've yet to see two dudes get snippy over it).
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

most good "teams do not need the comm to talk. 1 good foot soldier can direct the game... if well planed or if the team does it.

as long as the comm can hear should really be an issue

but yes very much preferred to have a mic

do you serve a purpose or do you purposely serve

Comment

Originally posted by Warmonger
              as long as the comm can hear should really be an issue
              That isn't a sentence?

More importantly, I can't take your meaning from it. Please re-express, as I want to know what you're saying.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

What I take from it is a combination between "Not having a mic is ok as long as the com can hear" and "Whether the com can hear or not is the bigger issue." condensed into one super sentence.

Comment

Hearing is a requisite. I'll grant that we've had a deaf player before (a real one, even, who came after the fake one) but everyone knew that going in and worked to make the concessions. So, BOCTAOE.

Comm or not, have sound. Comm or not, communicate via whatever methods you have at your disposal. Comm or not, a mic is preferred to typing.
                  [volun2]
                  NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                  Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                  <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                  <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

In related news, Coms who can vent thier frustration by shouting have been found to be healthier than those who choose to type in caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Pirate
                      In related news, Coms who can vent thier frustration by shouting have been found to be healthier than those who choose to type in caps.
                      :icon_eek:
                      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Warmonger
                        as long as the comm can hear it shouldn't really be an issue
                        Does that make it legible, Wyz? (Bold is mine, but I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.)

Comment

>_> Takes me 10 minutes to setup my mic, I'll take my chances typing as a comm =D.

Comment

Originally posted by ixkillxforxrice
                            >_> Takes me 10 minutes to setup my mic, I'll take my chances typing as a comm =D.
                            How insulting (not upset, but let's call a spade a spade). We're worth your ten minutes. Set up your mic.

Comment

Would this be 10 minutes every time you speak, or 10 minutes once and then you are done for life? Depending on where it falls in there I would either say get a new mic, or some variation of "... Why not?"

Man, I have to flip this little switch on my mic to turn it on, could be weeks before that happens.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X