What is next after NS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is next after NS?

We've all heard the rumors "NS is dying", and that the mod is running on a game that is "too" old. Even though I know I am addicted to NS and that I may play it well into Wyz's age, what are some real viable alternatives to NS?

The three main attractions I have to NS are these:
    1) I like how the HL engine feels. The player movements, the graphics (not as nice as the games today, but it all fits), the player interactions to each other physics wise and to the environment.
    2) The mix of three separate game types. Yes three. You have an RTS like feel for the commander, an FPS feel for the Marines, and a completely DIFFERENT gameplay for the aliens (first person biter?). One style is dependent on strategy, on style is dependent on teamwork, the last style is dependent on tactics.
    3) Player interaction and depth of gameplay. This game needs teamwork like you and I need Oxygen. The communication, the planning, the skill, the dependence, the flexibility... this game encompasses all these based on players communicating with each other and offers no other crutches.

In my own investigating, I thought that perhaps BF2 would come in a close second to how I felt about NS. It still lacks the "personal" touch of the alien gameplay. It can also be played without a commander. It doesn't have the same depth as NS.

What do you guys think may be a close second, or even a substitute to NS? (Note: NS:S or NS2 or not choices :P ) I can imagine in a few years that there may well be an NS killer, but I have yet to see one.
    USAR

Re: What is next after NS?

I haven't played a good rts game in a while. The shooting aspect of most games gets boring eventually. If there is no teamwork or strategy you will lose interest more quickly. Games have varying degrees of teamwork and strategy required to play.

Online gaming brings alot to the table. With the ability to play against real people, you no longer have to worry about playing computers that do the same things over and over again, but before long the limits of the game start to show themselves. "Hey, lets do movements first!" Only so many strategies may be employed, and thus even with people the game itself will grow old with time.

How many strategies are left that have not been employed? Well in the first 3 minutes of the game you get a finite amount of res, you can only drop any combination of ocs and one other chamber/research certain combinations of upgrades.

Once you have all the tech you want, there are only so many ways to launch an offencive against a hive or marine start. You can't improvise by having two jetpackers carry a heavy, and even if you could that would only add one more possibility. A gorge can't secrete a mucus around itself to allow it to be swallowed by an onos but not digested to become a source of regeneration.

It would be interesting if marines had upgrades for the upgrades (research jetpack fuel efficency/speed, heavy armor/speed) But anything you do to give more options still stays within the confines of the game.

Imagine a game where you could write code for it as the game progressed. Create upgrades for your troops, design movement upgrades for your fellow aliens. Realistically coding takes too much time to encorperate into a game, but I predict it's games more similar to this that will catch on in the future. The more possibilities available, the longer it will take to lose interest. (Then people will script in thier codes and ruin the game for newcomers.)

That said, people still play things like solitare and the original mario game every so often.

Comment

I don't see any HL2 mods that are similar to Natural Selection: you would think there would be, right?

For example: you have similar ideas on tactical execution/teamwork from Plan of Attack, Day of Defeat Source (it was a mod), and a few others, but none of them have an RTS component, or a commander. Maybe because this would involve something other than just rebalancing the game mechanics and coming up with pretty new skins.

There are few mods from other games that have a commander component: I can't think of one for UT2004, for example, although it really should. There is one mod, Extended Fortress or something like that, that requires you to establish defenses and get resources, but I don't think there is a commander role.

Comment

For me, it's not just about the game - it's also the community that I can share it with. I doubt I would still be playing NS today if I hadn't fallen into the TGNS crowd. The game itself is important, yes, but without a community like TGNS for me to play it with, I wouldn't consider it a substitute.

That being said, I had a brief stint on BF2 and it was a great experience. The teamwork and tactics required are the closest to NS that I've seen in a game so far. Had the BF2 community not exploded and lost the closeness of TGNS (speaking for myself, here) I would probably still be playing it today.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
          I don't see any HL2 mods that are similar to Natural Selection: you would think there would be, right?
          http://www.empiresmod.com/

http://www.isotx.com/

Indeed there is. Both are nearing completion.

EDIT: They both have commander modes and you can purchase\build things... as for if their similar to NS? I don't think anything is going to come out that really takes the place of what NS is until NS:S. NS is a very unique game.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Maybe Savage, although when I played it the whole thing was a laggy mess and didn't have any built in voice communication. It did have the basic elements of an rts with fps combat that didn't really intrigue me.

Comment

only one that i know of for hl2 is Iron Grip: The Oppresion

Comment

Originally posted by ----paranoid----
                Both look very interesting and I will certianly give them a try.

But

I like NS for the alien aspect of the game, being able to move around in a different aspect than running with guns is what I enjoy the most out of NS. Until there is another gmae or MOD I think I will be playing NS for a long time. I tried dystopia and although I enjoyed playing, I didn't find it very full filling.

Quake4,Doom3, TFC, CS, CSS, Dystopia, are all pretty much run and gun mods and games, the same way with marines in NS. I still live in hope that another NS type mod will be devolped for HL2 or even another engine. NS is the only game with aliens and different abilities than guns.
                Agreed, unless you think of a game like Aliens vs. Predator with 3 different classes. The different classes of aliens can leap, predators can cloak and have cool weapons, the marines are... marines. I think its just something about NS that they were able to pull all the different elements together to really make it shine. Plus the way the sides are designed (with a commander), and with hivesight, really make the game mechanics of teamwork required to win the game.

Comment

I'm all for playing a title that can give me everything NS gives me.

That's why I've been playing NS for over three years straight. :/
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

GR (at TG) was my title of choice before NS came along.
                    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I may be wrong but, are they not making a "Natural Slection: Source" ?

I think that would be cool, but it would also create a dominant and obvious split between source and 3.1 or whatever version we're playing right now.

From the week or so that I've been playing NS, I've seen that's not your average shoot em, run, shoot em, run, die respawn game. It takes much strategy, tactics and much teamwork. I like it and playing with helpful and fun people like ya'll makes it even better. :)

GO NS! w00t

Comment

Originally posted by garrett
                        I may be wrong but, are they not making a "Natural Slection: Source" ?

I think that would be cool, but it would also create a dominant and obvious split between source and 3.1 or whatever version we're playing right now.

From the week or so that I've been playing NS, I've seen that's not your average shoot em, run, shoot em, run, die respawn game. It takes much strategy, tactics and much teamwork. I like it and playing with helpful and fun people like ya'll makes it even better. :)

GO NS! w00t
                        They are creating Natural Selection: Source, its just going to take a long time to come out. It's production basically hinges on flayra securing funding for his company, Unknown Worlds. With that funding he will also use it towards making his full fledged retail title, Natural Selection 2. I honestly don't see NS:S coming to fruition without him finding some way of new funding or heavy, heavy constie donations. But even then he's living off of that money so its doubtful :-/.

Honestly all the public knows at this point is that its being made, they have some work done on it, and that work is going slow due to the funding issue.
                        Last edited by aeroripper; 02-13-2006, 11:26 PM.

Comment

gotcha :)

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
                            What do you guys think may be a close second, or even a substitute to NS? (Note: NS:S or NS2 or not choices :P ) I can imagine in a few years that there may well be an NS killer, but I have yet to see one.
                            I could recommend a game (not mod) called Savage, its comes close to ns, each team gets a commander, humans vs horde (beasts), I just couldnt find a server with a decent ping :(

Chewy: i was paraphrasomg
                            [19:01] Chewy: KAMER |
                            [19:01] Chewy: i love you | Drake_Anra : I only have a problem when Kamer talks... /// Chewy : That's very much a universal problem, Drake. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Kamer
                              I could recommend a game (not mod) called Savage, its comes close to ns, each team gets a commander, humans vs horde (beasts), I just couldnt find a server with a decent ping :(

hummmmmm, i haven't heard of that, I'll have to take a look. . .

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X