rrjump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rrjump

I think the rrjump is a nifty and mildly amusing command to be able to use, but I don't think I like how it's been tied to points. Currently you can spent 100 points to have use of the command until the map changes. I think I would prefer it costing more points, but to give access to the command permanently (if thats possible).

You won't usually get more than a minute of time to play with it per map, and by the time I would think to type in the command and everything, that time is even less.

It's not that I object to the points cost or anything, it's all arbatrary, but I think I would be less likely to play with it if I had to type the command in all the time, than if I could get it just once.

Anyone else feel the same way? Is it within the realm of possibility? Should I just shut up and be glad the command was added at all?

Re: rrjump

100 points is really a negligible cost, considering most other points features require you to have numbers in the thousands. If all you're worried about is the time required to type it in, you could always bind a key to it. You wouldn't even have to worry about hitting the key accidently in game, since it only works in the readyroom.

Comment

How about making a change to it, say spend a x points in it to have it last for 24 hours or maybe 100 x to last for x maps that you are there.
      Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I consider 100 points negligible.

The points command works during gameplay.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

100 points is 4 games. Or 1 high points scoring game.. That is not very much at all.
          Last edited by Chark; 02-16-2006, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Pirate
            It's not that I object to the points cost or anything
            This was never about the cost of the command. I could care less about the cost of the command. This is about duration. The only way it relates to the cost of the command is I would expect the cost to rise for a higher duration. I don't care if the cost rises, I don't care if it lowers, I don't care if it stays the same.

*end broken record mode*

What I'm trying to say is I think it would be more practical if it had a duration beyond one map. My assumption is that it would be easier to code it as either permanant or resetting every map, than giving it time limits. Giving access for a specific number of map changes hadn't crossed my mind, I don't know if that would be better or not.

Thus, my suggestion was to make it a one time cost for rrjump to always have it on, and I don't really want to debate here how many points that would cost. I would prefer this to be about what is a reasonable duration.

Comment

If you have to type the command every map, the burden is on you.

If I have to remember your purchase across maps/server crashes, the burden is on me (the developer).

Giving points users more convenient access to this luxury is not important enough to me for me to bring that additional burden on myself.

I can appreciate the headache of typing the command in each map. Hopefully the bind solution already presented will present a nice compromise between what is and what won't be.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

If you guys like, I could very quickly change it such that any non-SM who attempts to use rrjump (press use key while in the air) automatically executes the following console command:

points spend jump

This means that anyone in the readyroom pressing the use key while in the air automatically loses 100 points, but that's OK with me, even if they have no idea what's going on, if it's OK with you guys.

I suspect a couple jumps might be necessary to get it to take. Not sure, though.

Comment

I'm not wanting to generate alot of work for you Wyz. I didn't figure it would be too difficult to make it a permanent thing.

As long as auto points spending didn't trigger ingame, or multiple times while in the ready room I think that would work well. It already gives a message when you use the command (does it only appear in the console for the person who activates it, or does it show up in text like for everyone else?)

I think making it permanent would be more convenient, and more often used. It's like if you have a phone plan that allows for text messaging. You can pay five bucks a month to get unlimited messages, or you can pay ten cents per message. Most people will message less frequently if they have to pay the ten cents per message, even though it costs almost nothing, and I doubt there are many people that would exceed 50 messages in a month. If you pay the monthy fee, you no longer feel like you are paying for the text messages specifically, and are more likely to use that feature.

If it's going to be trouble, don't worry about it. It doesn't really matter if people use the command or not. As a person who doesn't yet know how to program things I am not the best judge of what would be difficult to do. I just figured you already have the ability to store information permanently (taglines, points) and the ability to activate the rrjump command. I made the hasty conclusion that combining them might not be too hard.

Comment

You know... I say it's too much trouble.

But ask anyone who's been around a while... all it takes is me falling into full-on geek mode one night, and suddenly it's 0530 and hundreds of lines of code are written (the most extravagant proposal in this thread wouldn't take that many lines of code... I'm speaking generally).

So who knows. It might happen one day. :/ haha

Comment

How about you read the setinfo the client has and then people who want to have it automatly take points to do the rr jump can set it to say 1. Default it to 0.

setinfo rrjump 2 -> Always buy the rrjump on each map.
                      setinfo rrjump 1 -> If you jump and press the use key in rr autobuy the rrjump.
                      setinfo rrjump 0 -> Don't automaticly spend points for rrjump, I will buy it my self, (Recommended) /*Just like what we have now*/

It should not be too hard to do this. I know of a plugin that reads setinfo for spikes (setinfo spikes 1), and if 1 gives the lerk spike and removes bite from it.

Comment

Setinfo isn't a reliable method for storing persistant data, as the amount of space that's available is limited, and new data crowds out old.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                          Setinfo isn't a reliable method for storing persistant data, as the amount of space that's available is limited, and new data crowds out old.
                          Is there any other way to store the data on the client's machine? Otherwise just leave it as it right now.

Comment

I have no restraint. :(

Non-SMs now purchase rrjump by pressing their use key while in the air in the readyroom.

CAREFULLY monitor your points when using this, as I have unconfirmed fears, based on how this works in the code, that you might lose 5 or more times the price of this purchasable.

Anyway, build trust in it after using it for 100 points several times.

Comment

Wyz, the human coding machine, all show bow before thee.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X