Wow! What a game!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! What a game!

I watched the game that was played from 8:45pm-10:45pm Pac. On Tues, Feb. 21 on HLTV, and I just have to say WOW! I can honestly say I haven't seen a game so full of teamwork and so absent of negatism in a long time, every single player on both teams should be extremely proud of themselves. For those who weren't there to either play or watch that game, maybe Wyz can post a .dem.. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, saynomore, saynomore?)

I think the aliens missed a couple of key opportunities to shut the marines down when they had a third hive (I think twice). Not enough webbing was used near the phase gate, IMHO. Also, one time you had two onos and a fade or so in MS, but the arms lab was left with 2 bars, the TF was left with 60%, and a phase gate was left with 75%. Had the Arms lab gone down, the game would have been over right then. I won't say who wins this game, but I will say that up until about 10 minutes from the end of this nearly 2 hour game, it is still up in the air.

I also think Lost the Thief wins my personal MVP award, not because of fading skill, because TBH there were many opportunities (IMHO) where he died, when he could have survived, but RATHER his constant communication with his team, and optimism.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Re: Wow! What a game!

Superb game. Frustrating to lose, but I was so very impressed with the gameplay of both the marines AND the aliens. I'm sure it displayed the finest our community has to offer, from both teams.

~75 minutes. Get comfortable. :)

http://tgns.tacticalgamer.com/hlds/n...-ns_altair.dem
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Just so you know, Wyz yells at us a lot. A LOT.

Helluva game kids. Glad I could be a part of it.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I played a good chunk of this game although I left and came back after some business. Nice game, I bet wyz was tired of comming after that... I've commed a winning hour+ game before and was exhausted after we ended it.

edit: man people are fast, thanks for the demo
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

That's the server-side demo, with full voicecomm from both teams. You can change cameras as you watch, and, with the 'viewdemo' console command, you can rewind and fast forward.

For details on how to properly hear voicecomm in this demo, see the HLTV threads in the rules/announcements forum.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Oh, yeah, and... forgive the repetitive posts, but...

I think it's just absolutely badass that 16 people can be in one of the best games of NS in recent memory and .... who makes it to the forums to report it first?

The guy who couldn't even join the game, and sat there to watch the damn thing live on HLTV.

I'm certain that's pretty badass. Glad you enjoyed it, aes0p. I'm sorry you couldn't be part of it, but I'm glad it entertained you all the same.

Comment

If I had locked down hives after we took them, we would have won that game. Every game one commands provides ample opportunity to have made better decisions.. but a 75 minute game? Man, as I think back on that game.. there are so many decisions I could have made differently to change the landscape drastically.

The really, REALLY good games are entertaining LOONG after they've finished. :)

Comment

OMG that game was awesome. I'm so impressed that no one on my team at least complained we were doomed at any point. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Ok guys. That north hive base toward the end. Where better could it have been positioned, exactly, given that we were trying to dig in to that location? Down the stairs more? Around the corner in docking (node just to the east)?

Should I have moved it to the very top left of the map, with long hallways on both sides?

Comment

Originally posted by aesop rock
                    I also think Lost the Thief wins my personal MVP award, not because of fading skill, because TBH there were many opportunities (IMHO) where he died, when he could have survived, but RATHER his constant communication with his team, and optimism.

:) Thanks Aesop Rock

It was a great match. I think that it might make a fine demo for this upcoming HLTV session.

The marines put up a great fight. They worked well together, as did the aliens. I had a great time. Lots of practice in fading, something i need work on, a good fun match. The marines were keeping us on our toes, and we them. I have to say, It is these types of games I keep coming back to the server to play. Everyone was playing as a team, we had a great long match, the game was on the edge for a long time.

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                    Ok guys. That north hive base toward the end. Where better could it have been positioned, exactly, given that we were trying to dig in to that location? Down the stairs more? Around the corner in docking (node just to the east)?

Should I have moved it to the very top left of the map, with long hallways on both sides?
                    You were very well dug in their wyzcrak. It was a major point of attack of mine for a very long time. We had wave after wave attack it. we finaly clear it when every marine had left, and we had 3 of us(i think it was), me another fade and a skulk on the PG. The effort it took us to clear it was a lot. You might not be able to move it to a better location, even our onos rush on it just failed. It was keep up by your men, and without them it will die, just like any base.
                    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

We held that position for at least 20 minutes (probably more) while both it and marine start were under CONSTANT barrage.

Man, if there were a better place, when you drop a phase gate there the round should end and the marines should just win, with rainbows and lollipops spewing from the resnodes.
                      [volun2]
                      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

If I had locked down hives after we took them, we would have won that game. Every game one commands provides ample opportunity to have made better decisions.. but a 75 minute game? Man, as I think back on that game.. there are so many decisions I could have made differently to change the landscape drastically.

The really, REALLY good games are entertaining LOONG after they've finished. :)
                        That's the funny thing about long games, its a combination of the frustration, anger, hope, and uncertainty that makes you lose focus in hour long games (just because it seems every push you make is countered equally well, and no real progress is made, or kept for long).

Lots of teamwork on both sides it was a fun game :). I also vote this one for the hltv demo on sat.
                        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

That was such a LONG game. I akinned it to a battle of giants, because we had MULTIPLE onos, fades, lerks, skulks, and gorges in on fights against vanilla marines, jetpack HMG squads, and me and poker doing HA guard duty for a while.

For the north hive, I would have placed the T-fact downstairs in the middle of the room, electrifying both the resnode and the T-fact, setting up a PG between them, an obs in the corner behind the resnode, and turrets within shock proximity of T-fact and resnode, and I would have kept a couple sieges up in case the aliens pulled a ninja hive or built OC's or something nearby.

Comment

Now that I think about it, the game before was also excellant, though much shorter. As the aliens we pulled off some amazing hive saves, and the marines pulled off some amazing hive kills.

But the most amazing thing about that long game was that there was never a point of tranquility. It a FAST paced game.

Comment

I couldn't put the stuff in the north hive downstairs, for fear of bile bomb from above. If a gorge had gotten in the room where I *did* put the PG, and started biling the stuff below (where you recommended I put it), one stomping onos and a guarding fade, both caring for the gorge, would have destroyed that base in no time.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X