steam server browser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steam server browser

Guys, I'm noticing something with my Steam installation. Specifically, with the Steam server browser's ability to query our NS server.

When I "refresh" my favorites list, which includes the TG NS server, our server often is "<not responding>", or has a latency of 2000+. In this state, Steam will not connect to the server.

However, immediately thereafter, when I find our server using the server browser's "Internet" tab, the latency is sub-100 and all appears normal. Steam allows me to connect to the server without issue.

I know for a fact that I've connected successfully from my favorites list before, so this problem must be on and off for me.

I don't know if this will impact anyone else. But if you see no response of high latency from your favorites list, try using the master list and see if you get different results.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

I see this same behavior with other NS 3.x servers, so I don't know that it's a problem with our server specifically.

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I think it must have been a coincidence, because when the server shows a ping like that for me(such as just now) it doesn't show up in the Internet list either until it shows up in the Favorites one too. It's also excruciatingly difficult to connect when the ping is that high.

I also get the same huge pings when I look at it with HLSW. I don't think it's the browser.

Comment

Both lists seem to display TG properly for me so far.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Ookay, having gotten into the server it is definitely not the browser. It would be sub-100 for 5-10 seconds, completely freeze in a lag spike for like 30 seconds, rinse and repeat. This happened yesterday in a full game too and basically killed the server.

Comment

I think Zek may be right about the coincidence. I just bounced the server and am getting expected behavior from the Steam server browser. As it stands now, the beta server doesn't seem to tolerate uptime well. I'll try to bounce it whenever I see it empty and I know it's been running for a while. I might also bounce it during evenings if we notice performance hits.

Wyzcrak

Comment

I have seen the same issue with TFC and CS so it isn't NS specific nor TG specific. Usually hitting refresh will work.

Comment

sometimes i get this, but my other problem with teh steam browser is that when i delete servers on my favorites list, they come back. Does anyone know fix for this? Can i detele the file that saves my favorites list (whats its name?) and then readd my favs?

Comment

jack, I've had the exact same problem and solved it.

1. Close Steam.
                  2. Remove C:\Program Files\Steam\config\serverbrowser.vdf
                  3. Open Steam.
                  4. Re-add favorites.

I learned this from the forums at steampowered.com.

I've give you a link to the thread, but I'm unable to access that site currently.

There have been no adverse side effects to me doing the above.

Wyzcrak

Comment

Okay, I'm really not so great with conputers, So, Can anyone tell me where the 3.0 NS folder is? I totally can't find it, I'm so lost =(

I have screenshots somewhere that I want =P

(And I'd like to alter the config file =P)

Comment

yeh, i'm really crappy with conputers too... ;P

The new NS folder is in c>program files > steam > steamapps > youremail>HL>NSP
                      unless you installed it somewhere else..
                      if its not NSP its NS

Comment

omg found it!

Comment

<hands nothing a cookie>

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
                            <hands nothing a cookie>
                            Yeah, I rule.

Comment

Connect

Collapse