something is wrong with my ns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something is wrong with my ns

whenever i connect to the tg server, it gets to precaching resources. then it just crashes to the desktop with no warnings or error messages, just crashes, it happens in other servers besides tg, but i was wondering if either anyone else has had this problem or if anyone could help me out here, its very irritating.

Re: something is wrong with my ns

Hey Ryan, I'm no expert, but if it dies at "precaching resources", I believe this is an indicator that something is wrong on the client side as it loads the map and model data.

You mentioned that this only occurs on some servers and I'm thinking it may be that the map or model data pertaining to one particular map is corrupted, which is causing the crash. This is just a guess, mind you. Anyway, if this is the case, then you should be able to go through each of the maps on your machine, creating local servers running them, in order to determine which one is causing the crash, then reinstalling that one. Alternatively, you could just try uninstalling and reinstalling ns and see if that fixes it.
    Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

cl_allowdownload 1 is the command to DL everything you need to play on a server (maps, sounds, sprites.) If its set to 1 and you still crash try reinstalling ns.

Comment

Ok, unless I'm entirely mistaken, then the problem is not in your NS. The TGNS server is designed to send people to the HLTV server, under certain circumstances.

Occasionally, as has been the case a few times in the last couple weeks, the HLTV server has had problems, causing my HL.EXE to crash (during the loading phase, just as you described), and it sounds like I'm not the only one.

Wyz is aware of this problem, and says all that needs to happen is a HLTV reset/reboot. He also said that he was working on automating that process, so as to reduce this issue.

Hope this helps.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

ive reinstalled steamand ns completely, and had steam completely redownload all the gcfs, still crashes, cl_allowdownload is 1 as well

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
            ive reinstalled steamand ns completely, and had steam completely redownload all the gcfs, still crashes, cl_allowdownload is 1 as well
            Is it when joining TGNS on a near full server?

Comment

yes, but ive tried at half full and it also happens on other servers besides tg so its has to be client side but i have no idea what is wrong

Comment

This may be a stretch, but at this point, it sounds like any suggestions are welcome.

When's the last time you ran a nice, thorough, disk scan? You know, like chkdsk (with some parameter to check everything). When all else has failed for me, I've sometimes found that the problem was a corrupted sector, or some other physical hard drive issue. Might be worth looking at.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Have you gotten the full 3.1 installation? Are you VAC banned? Does this happen in any other games besides NS? Have you tried to completely remove your NS folder and reinstall?
                  USAR

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
                    Have you gotten the full 3.1 installation? Are you VAC banned? Does this happen in any other games besides NS? Have you tried to completely remove your NS folder and reinstall?

yes

no

yes

yes, steam too

Comment

Just because it happens on other games besides NS, I would be concerned with a problem with a driver or hardware setting. Have you done any updates to any such things since NS worked consistantly? I know that HL will crash in some wierd ways if there are video card problems or improper settings on them. Are you running D3D or OpenGL? If these crashes happen in NS and other Games, but not under normal programs I'd say it's likely a video issue. (with HL, maybe even an audio issue.) Check your drivers for both and update or rollback if necessary.
                      It is hypathetically an HD sector issue as well so as mentioned earlier it would be worth while to check the health of your physical disk.
                      I can't think of anything else at the moment besides the HLTV issue or corrupted HL game cache for steam.
                      _________
                      <OP8-322>
                      %#^^^#%

Comment

Originally posted by ----paranoid----
                        What video card, sound card, driver versions, OS ?

Have you got IE7 beta?

More information will help
                        IE7 was my problem when I had the same error. Here's the thread: Click
                        birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

it was that dam IE7 beta, it wasnt allowing me to download files properly, thus booting me from ns and other games, I was in the server yesterday, thanks for all your help with this issue

Comment

I really want to see the reason that IE7 beta's messing up steam... my guess would be that inside steam, there's the ability to handle http requests/pages. But I havn't done enough with IE reciently to see the log of how it might affect steam.

If anyone has any more questions reguarding problems with games adn the such, i'm currently studying my MCDST as well as my A+, so please, drop me hte questions so i can get hte practice.

... going to go figure out why IE7 woudl do that...
                            Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

I'm not certain of the details, but the running theory is that the IE 7 beta bundles and installs beta versions of one of the core networking drivers/libraries, say the TCP/IP stack or something. As a result, this beta driver is what is causing the compatibility problems with Steam.
                              Cool! Personalized plates! Barclay, Barry, Bert, Bort...come on...Bort?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X