Exploitive block or fair game?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploitive block or fair game?

Just wondering what you guys think about putting a siege (or other buildings) in the small corridoor directly south of vent hive on ns_origin (between the two ladders and the typical siege spot). If a siege is there, no marine, fade, or gorge can get through. I am not sure whether or not skulks or lerks can, but it'd be a real tight fit. Anyways, I've always sorta wondered about that one, as a commander. I looked at the rules, but am having a hard time still.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Re: Exploitive block or fair game?

Skulks can go in and out if you put a siege anywhere in the way of the vent or in the vent itself, I'm pretty sure marines can fit too. Also the hull clipping of a fade and skulk are the same, thats why fades can fit inside vents in the first place.

Its an exploit in cal to block a vent with a building. A block is defind as a skulk not beable to pass threw the vent because he is blocked by the building.

Comment

I would drift toward it being allowed. because the hallway was big enough for a marine to walk through a skulk should be able to get over top of it. i dont think gorges can jump high enough to get onto building anymore. so that would explain the gorge not making it over. I sent messages to other admins asking for their opinions. i made this decision from this part of the rules.

"Building in a doorway is allowed if players can still navigate past the structure."
      Last edited by Yellow-Asterisk; 02-28-2006, 10:39 AM.
      "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

Comment

Speaking as a player, I don't mind sieges in there. Sieges have a prerequisite, radius-limited building before them, and if THAT building is down, then the aliens have more issues that getting through a hallway.

A siege cannon in that hallway almost certainly means the area is crawling with marines who have been there for probably a minute or so (an eternity in NS time). Calling "BLOCKING!" or "EXPLOIT!" at that point seems like psychological consolation for the fact that the marines outwitted you and you missed it.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

It is tall enough for skulks to fit. Always thought it was a bad place to put sieges because it's very easy to wedge behind them and chew on them as a skulk.

Comment

I know we've talked about this in the admin forum before... this spot exactly. I don't recall the details, but I'm sure you guys would have heard about it if we'd have decided it prohibited.

Let's call it fair game. Poker's right. If the marines got the jump on you that much, the "BLOCKING!" isn't why you lost the hive/game.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Understood, and agreed.

Thank you all for the clarification.

Wyz, if you see this, can you fix my embarassing 'exploitative' typo? :D

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Also note that you can fit 3 sieges into that room outside of vent without putting a siege near the enterance to that vent, making the vent all the more easy to cover.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyEye
                  Also note that you can fit 3 sieges into that room outside of vent without putting a siege near the enterance to that vent, making the vent all the more easy to cover.
                  That is a much cleaner siege that putting all the sieges in a tight, constricted area like that. It really should be allowed even though its not the greatest spot. As somebody else said, skulks easily munch\bile bomb the sieges in there and their hard to hit without nades since you have all the siege hitboxes in the way.
                  Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                  Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

The hitbox on a com chair is bigger than most buildings, right? I haven't tried it myself, but I have a strong suspicion that if you dropped a com chair half way down that vent, that would block access for Skulks and Marines, and give any other buildings in the vent perfect protection from being muched from behind.

Would that count as an exploit? I don't think this is a real hard question, so I'm going to avoid it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis
                      The hitbox on a com chair is bigger than most buildings, right? I haven't tried it myself, but I have a strong suspicion that if you dropped a com chair half way down that vent, that would block access for Skulks and Marines, and give any other buildings in the vent perfect protection from being muched from behind.

Would that count as an exploit? I don't think this is a real hard question, so I'm going to avoid it myself.
                      Unless for some odd reason the marines were relocating there, I'd call foul and punish appropriately. The space afforded is too small to pass, and the structure would serve no other purpose than to deny access.
                      [volun2]
                      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I dont know about calling it foul and punishing marines for relocating there. They would already be kicking themselves in the first place for doing so. Any skulk can use the buildings as a defensive wall as much as the next marine can, except the skulk can bite and destroy that wall unless the commander decided to block the area with multiple comm chairs.

The amount of manpower needed to constantly keep a marine checking that area behind whatever structures to make sure skulks arent taking out the buildings themselves is one thing. The fact that it guarentees close combat for aliens is another. At best I think you could yell at the commander (if your a marine) or skulk in there and see why is nothing beneficiary about blocking those ladders to the 2nd floor in a relocate.

Comment

Read it again Avs. He said if you dropped a chair there and you WEREN'T relocating. :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X