Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horrible experience today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Horrible experience today

    I played for a few hours today on TG and wondered what happened to the server. I played aliens most of the time, and for some reason, we were continuiously losing. Over, and over again. Filjar finally rage quit after he was solo'd by cheesybong as a fade. I honestly don't blame him, as I wanted to rage atleast 5 times in the entirity of the games I played. For some reason, the marines didn't miss, and we could NEVER get anything done as aliens. We capped a few nodes, and got our chambers up, but every push that the marines made on something was a complete failure for aliens to stop. Finally, I was fading and my mouse was sticking and cheesybong solo'd me with an lmg. I went from full fade health to 0 in less than 5 seconds.

    I'm just very confused as to what happened. Was there a patch I missed that changed things, because I felt as if I were playing a totally different game where marines couldn't lose. At all. Honestly, it wasn't a lack of skill, or teamwork, or any of the above, we just failed at every try we made on anything. I figured I'd post to see if anyone else noticed this.

    -Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

    To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

  • #2
    Re: Horrible experience today

    Originally posted by Yer Mom
    Honestly, it wasn't a lack of skill, or teamwork, or any of the above, we just failed at every try we made on anything. I figured I'd post to see if anyone else noticed this.
    I don't believe you.

    I've been playing this game for three years, and I've never, EVER, lost a game in which both skill and teamwork could be ruled out as valid causes for our defeat. What I have seen a lot of is people scrambling to find scapegoats which allow them to deny that they lost due to skill or teamwork.

    Typically, failure is due either to comparatively poor skill or comparatively poor teamwork.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

    Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Horrible experience today

      I was playing with Yer Mom today, and I was there for the rage quit, and a few of the absolutly horrible games. Marines won once while I was on, and was just absolutly facinating to watch.

      To account for the lack of good games, I won't say that we had no teamwork or skill. It's almost as if none of the players were really 'in the game'. Before an olympian goes into his event, his mind is focused on one thing. What he needs to do, to be the best. His girlfriend, the phone, his visa bill, all of these are out of his mind. to him they don't exist. Now I'm not saying it takes a drug induced meditative state the play ns, but a but playing to the best of your ability makes games alot more fun, and alot more interesting. Not to mention, if you played your absolute best, and you still lose, your not that upset about it.

      Perhaps tonight we'll have some high calibur games.
      Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Horrible experience today

        I don't play NS, so I have no idea what is a good, or horrible game. The couple of times I did join, it was a bewildering experience. :row__577:

        That said: each of our servers has its off days. I can't count the number of times I have said "that's it, shut PCS Server 1 down!" or "BF2 #1 is fragmonkey central-ban them all!". It happens. *shrugs*

        That's why I try to keep my gaming diverse. Maybe something else will click that day instead of the game I intended to play.

        Take a deep breath, step back, come back later.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Horrible experience today

          Originally posted by TG_Mateo
          I don't play NS, so I have no idea what is a good, or horrible game. The couple of times I did join, it was a bewildering experience. :row__577:

          That said: each of our servers has its off days. I can't count the number of times I have said "that's it, shut PCS Server 1 down!" or "BF2 #1 is fragmonkey central-ban them all!". It happens. *shrugs*

          That's why I try to keep my gaming diverse. Maybe something else will click that day instead of the game I intended to play.

          Take a deep breath, step back, come back later.
          Hear hear, good advice.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Horrible experience today

            Agreed, Mateo.

            I've said it before. I'll say it again.

            The greatest thing about Tactical Gamer (and this is saying something, as we've among us much greatness) is our diversity. Not just in our players (that's awesome enough), but in our titles.

            If gameA doesn't strike you presently, play gameB (or gameC, or gameF, whatever).

            That doesn't mean we can't work to IMPROVE that of a title which causes us to want to play others, but it's always nice to have those other titles waiting when "title improvement" just isn't what the player sat down to do for the next 45 minutes.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

            Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Horrible experience today

              Originally posted by Darkilla
              Before an olympian goes into his event, his mind is focused on one thing. What he needs to do, to be the best. His girlfriend, the phone, his visa bill, all of these are out of his mind. to him they don't exist. Now I'm not saying it takes a drug induced meditative state the play ns, but a but playing to the best of your ability makes games alot more fun, and alot more interesting.
              NS games aside, I hope you aren't suggesting it takes a drug induced meditative state to be an olympian.

              Something that frequently occurs in the absense of a randomizer, is almost all the same people join the same teams.

              I have seen it go as many as 5 games in a row where minus a person here or there the team consists of the same people. Even if some push is made to get the teams a bit different, all the players have a tendancy to switch teams together too, creating the reverse of the same imbalance, be it skill or ability to use teamwork.

              Another thing to consider. Marines often have the luxury of saying "well, no one on our team was really able to com" (or the more likely accusation "nub com"). Having a person or two who will talk like that and give direction on the alien team is just as important, but easily overlooked. The main problem with saying "no one on our team really knew how to voice chat well" is you don't have an excuse as to why you were not the person doing it. If there simply aren't the right people on the server to be able to take those positions, one side or the other tends to suffer.

              We should have a thread on what it takes to be the voice of reason on the alien team. I'm sure it's something that would benefit aliens greatly.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Horrible experience today

                Have to add my two cents.

                I really agree with Yer Mom. It seemed as if marines never missed. It would seem the marines had a very very good day, while on the opposite end we had a very very bad day making the difference in game play that much more noticeable. It was a very... frustrating experience.
                Quotes From Wise People:
                "Never enough time to do it once but always enough time to do it again."
                "If he(She) ever learns what it is to speak ill, he will no longer be angry"
                "You'll learn good from the good; those who are not, If you mix with them, spoil the sense you've got."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Horrible experience today

                  haha, no no. I was a National level swimmer for about 8 years, and drugs arn't an option to a true athlete. It doesn't even come into the mindset of the person. But if you've ever had a friend, or yourself been at a national or inter-national level of athletic competition, it's actually kinda scary how focused you are at the event your doing.

                  For about 40 minutes before I swam my 100back (my best event) I had my headphones on, I did the same routine, no one could talk to me. It was, to an outsider, very close to drug-induced.
                  Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Horrible experience today

                    I Personally have been on all 4 sides of this... I know it happens. I think we all have been. I'm an alien- I get kill after kill after kill when I think I shouldnt have..... I'm an alien and get completly owned by players I know I should be able to dominate.
                    Or for that matter I'm a marine and I just can't seem to shoot water if I was drowning in it.... Or even sometimes I'm a marine firing clips of magick bullets that kill aliens long after they have escaped around the corner.

                    I know just about every player here can say they have had all of these moments.
                    When you get rocked again and again it is very frustrating. -christ I've woken up family members in the other room swearing loudly at my computer screen at 2:00 in the morning. I've heard other players smash things on thier computer desks over the voice com... But the big fact of this matter is that i've heard it happen from players on both teams.

                    Yes it's true that some players are just more in focus.
                    yes it's true that some players communicate better.
                    Yes it's true that sometimes the teams can be a little stacked one way or another with high ratio players.
                    But with these things aside, It's true that sometimes it just doesnt matter. Sometimes things just happen out of random chance. Sometimes the game gets changed entirely cause some guy ran out the wrong door and got lost. because that same guy could find himself getting a few lucky shots and a backdoor to a hive, or into marine start just the same.
                    The game of NS has SOOOO many variables and places to be and things to do that sometimes it's acceptable to say chaos just wasnt in your favor that game.

                    All you can really do is come back tommorow and see how the dice get thrown.
                    maybe you'll win, and maybe you wont.
                    _________
                    <OP8-322>
                    %#^^^#%

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Horrible experience today

                      Originally posted by OP8
                      I Personally have been on all 4 sides of this... I know it happens. I think we all have been. I'm an alien- I get kill after kill after kill when I think I shouldnt have..... I'm an alien and get completly owned by players I know I should be able to dominate.
                      Or for that matter I'm a marine and I just can't seem to shoot water if I was drowning in it.... Or even sometimes I'm a marine firing clips of magick bullets that kill aliens long after they have escaped around the corner.

                      I know just about every player here can say they have had all of these moments.
                      When you get rocked again and again it is very frustrating. -christ I've woken up family members in the other room swearing loudly at my computer screen at 2:00 in the morning. I've heard other players smash things on thier computer desks over the voice com... But the big fact of this matter is that i've heard it happen from players on both teams.

                      Yes it's true that some players are just more in focus.
                      yes it's true that some players communicate better.
                      Yes it's true that sometimes the teams can be a little stacked one way or another with high ratio players.
                      But with these things aside, It's true that sometimes it just doesnt matter. Sometimes things just happen out of random chance. Sometimes the game gets changed entirely cause some guy ran out the wrong door and got lost. because that same guy could find himself getting a few lucky shots and a backdoor to a hive, or into marine start just the same.
                      The game of NS has SOOOO many variables and places to be and things to do that sometimes it's acceptable to say chaos just wasnt in your favor that game.

                      All you can really do is come back tommorow and see how the dice get thrown.
                      maybe you'll win, and maybe you wont.
                      Haha, yea I've pounded my comp table quite a few times before, especially when comming a tense game and your AA goes down before somebody can respond. Everybody has good and bad days
                      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

                      Comment

                      Connect

                      Collapse

                      TeamSpeak 3 Server

                      Collapse

                      Advertisement

                      Collapse

                      Twitter Feed

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X