A few questions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions...

First, let me introduce myself... I'm Omega2, usually known by the handles of ">X-" or "O2" in the Natural Selection servers around the web. co_ maps are more my kind of gameplay (I don't like to relay on a comm... played too much in pubs), but I'm fairly good at following orders or playing for the team on ns_ games. My usual team is marine (or TSA, or Frontiersman, or human, or whatever they call them), because, honestly, I love shotgun. When going alien, which is necessary because staying on the ready room waiting for a team to free up is just lame, I can do some ambushing work as a skulk (although I'm sure I could use some more practice). Putting it short, I'm your usual not-a-newbie-but-not-a-really-serious-gamer. I play NS (and DoDS) for three reasons: 1 - I like the themes. 2 - They're fun. 3 - I like the teamplay both games are supposed to have. Well, now you know me.

Yes, I'm technically a newbie to the TG forums, but I've been lurking around for about two weeks. I've read the rules (twice, and going to read it once more just to make sure nothing escaped me), but I still have a few questions that might have been answered before but I could find them...

1- Communication: you guys put a lot of stress in that aspect. Nothing wrong, I like when people are civilized and point you where the aliens are attacking and whatnot, but I'm from Brazil, and English isn't really taught here the way it should be. Most brazilians never got beyond "the book is on the table", and I wouldn't be an exception if I haven't learned it myself, over forums in the internet. I can mostly understand what people say on their mics, provided they're reasonably loud and clear, but I think you people might have some problems understanding me. According to what my foreign friends tell me, I sound like a french speaking English. So, any great problem with that? I can still follow orders, warn the others and reply properly, but not as easily as the other players (that can be changed with practice, though).

2- Ping: I haven't seen any specific rule about that (that's why I'm reading the rules for the third time), but I think that would still be something nice to ask about. My ping ranges from 200 to 300 in a good day, and up to 500 when things are REALLY bad (in that case I disconnect and go do something else until the connection re-estabilizes). I'm used to that latency, but some servers, especially Counter-Strike ones, tend to kick me, or some players are biased about it. Anything wrong with that? (That's the main reason I avoided trying to play on the TG server: someone might want to ban me for my ping.)

3- Maps: I don't have some of the maps listed in the mapcycle. Does the server allow me to download them? If not, where can I download them?

4- Timezones: I'm on GMT-3, but all the times here are set for north american time. What would Central, Pacific, and all those timezones mean, in GMT? At what time the server has more people playing, usually?

5- Plug-Ins: I tried to watch a demo from the TG NS server, but got an error message, I think it's because of a missing plug-in... what are the plug-ins the server uses?

Well, I think that's all... I had another question, but I spent so long writing the first five questions I ended up forgetting... heheh, oops...

Thanks for your patience (and for bearing with my grammar mistakes), and I really hope to eventually become a "regular" on the server.

O2

Re: A few questions...

Welcome omega, I believe there are also some other brazillians that play here (ambriento comes to mind) and have high pings but can still play. As far as I know there isn't any rules against having high ping, as not everybody plays within the US.

Some of the custom maps (ns_rampage, ns_orbital_cal) will automatically download from the server when it switches to them, or you can google them and download them seperately.

As for speaking english, I wouldn't really worry about it as long as you have the general idea of what people are saying and are able to work with your team. Letting them know that you can hear them and know what's going on is the biggest concern and that your partcipating with your team. Also make sure you can listen to your comm and be able to follow orders. I know in my time (GMT -6:00, central time) the server is usually full from 5pm-11pm most nights... usually the only time it won't have people on is during the early daytime.

Here is a handy time converter:

http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

As for the demo, how old is it? Is there a link we could try to see if its not from a pre-3.1 version? If it was a demo on one of the custom maps and you don't have them downloaded, that could be the problem.

See you on the server :)
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Welcome to the big show, Omega. :)
      Originally posted by Omega2
      1- Communication: you guys put a lot of stress in that aspect. Nothing wrong, I like when people are civilized and point you where the aliens are attacking and whatnot, but I'm from Brazil, and English isn't really taught here the way it should be. Most brazilians never got beyond "the book is on the table", and I wouldn't be an exception if I haven't learned it myself, over forums in the internet. I can mostly understand what people say on their mics, provided they're reasonably loud and clear, but I think you people might have some problems understanding me. According to what my foreign friends tell me, I sound like a french speaking English. So, any great problem with that? I can still follow orders, warn the others and reply properly, but not as easily as the other players (that can be changed with practice, though).
      If you're getting most of what we're saying, you'll likely be fine. If someone rattles off a term you don't recognize, and you think it might be important to the game, feel free to ask.

Introductions and explanations like your initial post here go a long way to getting helped instead of getting dismissed, and I'm very glad you've chosen to make your langauage differences known.
      2- Ping: I haven't seen any specific rule about that (that's why I'm reading the rules for the third time), but I think that would still be something nice to ask about. My ping ranges from 200 to 300 in a good day, and up to 500 when things are REALLY bad (in that case I disconnect and go do something else until the connection re-estabilizes). I'm used to that latency, but some servers, especially Counter-Strike ones, tend to kick me, or some players are biased about it. Anything wrong with that? (That's the main reason I avoided trying to play on the TG server: someone might want to ban me for my ping.)
      We will never ban you for your ping. Never. If it does get really bad though, disconnecting is probably a good idea; this game moves too quickly to make attempts to play with massive latency issues.

3- Maps: I don't have some of the maps listed in the mapcycle. Does the server allow me to download them? If not, where can I download them?
      Yes. HTTP download is enabled.

4- Timezones: I'm on GMT-3, but all the times here are set for north american time. What would Central, Pacific, and all those timezones mean, in GMT? At what time the server has more people playing, usually?
      The server is GMT-6. It sees the most action in the evenings, which would be roughly 0000-0600 GMT (usually later as well).

5- Plug-Ins: I tried to watch a demo from the TG NS server, but got an error message, I think it's because of a missing plug-in... what are the plug-ins the server uses?
      Server plugins can be found here, but they should not affect your viewing experience, as they are all server-side. What error are you getting?
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Thanks for the answers, guys. I can't remember what was the bug I got when trying to play the demo, but it was a map I had (ns_veil or ns_core, I think), and I ended up deleting the file. As for the communications issue, I think I won't have trouble understanding you. I'll just need a first intro to all those acronyms you use. I use them, too, but in Portuguese, so the sound is different and I might get a bit confused at first. Nothing some practice and patience can't solve, though. :)

I think that was all... I wanted to get on the server yesterday, but I just got a new batch of commissions to finish and my time kinda ran out. But I'll try to join the server late today and get the feeling of the place. Thanks again!

EDIT: thanks for the timezone converter, aeroripper! That's going to be very useful!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X