Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent lag spikes since friends update?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent lag spikes since friends update?

I don't know if this is just me, but ever since the recent steam update, is anybody else getting little 1-3s lag spikes occasionally? I can't comm anymore due to them and I get killed as alien more often since I lag out when trying to escape.

Before somebody says it, I have minimal services running, only zonealarm in the background (not the cause), and just ran a adware\virus check. Everything else was the same except for the update. I've also noticed other people from Mr. having this problem:
    Was comming before the server went down and I noticed these lag spikes. They last about a second to 3 seconds. My mouse freezes, everything stops...quite annoying...
    Ditto on the lag spikes... I thought it was just me since I AM on a new, funky system setup... But it WAS silky smooth last week(On the same funky setup). ;P
    I know whenever you say "lag spikes" it can mean quite a few different things to different people, but I'm hoping somebody else knows what I mean. (and its not my cable modem this time, I got a new one and it ran silky smooth all the way up till the update).
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Intermittent lag spikes since friends update?

Well, I was following you around as a gorge trying to heal you earlier today, and I know exactly what you mean. =P Not jerky, mostly smooth except for periodicly you'd just stop...and then teleport across the room. Hasn't happened to me though, so I can't help you solve it.

Comment

This was happening to several people tonight, earlier.

I've no problems. Don't rule out a network problem, even if it's one beyond your control.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I haven't been having spiking problems, I've had simply very very large ping on the server. This is limited to TG and several other servers... and only started about 3 days ago. :(

Comment

Glad to see you participating in the forums, 2of8.

I've had that same problem before. It sometimes lasts for days, and it's due, with what I think I can say is just about 100% consistency, to Level3's network, which my packets go through on their way to the Dallas datacenter which hosts most TG servers.

It's maddening when it happens.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I get this problem but i complety lag out for about 10 seconds for around an hour.
            Last edited by ryanR; 03-18-2006, 10:59 AM.
            Rgr, the internets be a harse mistress

Comment

I've had some funny things happening recently, too. Timeouts for no reason, lag spikes that last for 2-10 seconds with multiple (but not all) people involved. It didn't happen just after the update, it took until I signed up for Friends the first time, which is what makes me correlate the two more specifically.

Oh well, we've all had this stuff with Steam and Valve from day 1. It sorts itself out in time. Or...Valve's tech team sorts it out after their forums get spammed with hate posts and they can't take it anymore. :)

Comment

Does friends actually work now? I stopped using it because it was so glitchy and eventually forgot about it.

Comment

For the last 4 1/2 months about, I've been getting intermittent 4000+ ping spikes that last anywhere from a few seconds to 1-2 minutes. Most of the time I keep my IP, sometimes I don't.

To clarify, it's a total internet spike, I can't ping google or anything with reasonable speed, I doubt steam would cause this but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Comment

It's sort of working now and on it's way to being fully functional, Pirate. Worth checking out in the near future if not now, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer of Hippies
                      For the last 4 1/2 months about, I've been getting intermittent 4000+ ping spikes that last anywhere from a few seconds to 1-2 minutes. Most of the time I keep my IP, sometimes I don't.

To clarify, it's a total internet spike, I can't ping google or anything with reasonable speed, I doubt steam would cause this but I thought I'd post it anyway.
                      I had something similar because I used a wireless router. I fixed it by getting rid of my cheap Dell USB wireless adapter and switching to a decent Linksys internal card.

Comment

I was getting lag last night in the ready room whenever I was jumping. It was pretty weird.

Comment

Originally posted by DustinMichaels
                          I was getting lag last night in the ready room whenever I was jumping. It was pretty weird.
                          Hope thats not rrjump related

Comment

There's many many many reasons that this lag could be happening, but the problem is, none of us can actually reproduce this lag. If we could then we can troubleshoot it.
                            I get it too, and everytime i do, i've been checking my internet log's to see what's happening.

So far, I think it's something serverside with the steam side of things, where there's a hang as it waits for information sent form teh steam server. the TG server doesn't get the lag, but the players on teh server do. Some of hte players done, which means that they get the ping-back faster then the rest...
                            It's really rather weird.
                            Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

I'm convinced it's a network issue near the server, as some players will simultaneously experience timeouts (many seconds long), while other players will continue player with no problem at all. I pay close attention to who is and who isn't lagging when stuff like this happens, whether I'm on the server myself or observing the "omg lag" chat statements remotely.

I can't do anything about network problems like that, except to escalate them to Apophis, but between them being so intermittent and Apophis doing the work of 30 men, that doesn't happen often.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X